question about USE variables
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: question about USE variables Reply with quote

i remember on my last slackware install i needed to install the gtk-html lib in order to have html email properly viewed in balsa. this led me down a wild goose chase of dependencies that never really came to an end. eventually i gave up and didnt get html support. oh well.

i've been doing a bit of reading in the manuals (i've printed out all the gentoo manuals and put them in a spiffy gentoo binder) and i've taken a look at the default USE variables specificed in /etc/make.profile/make.defaults.

i saw that there was gtk listed under there. if i installed an app that required gtk-html would that gtk listing be enough to satisfy that dependency or would i have to actually input "gtk-html" as a separate USE variable?

i also know that the latest QT has an acceleration option for Mach64 cards (s'what i got). if i were to put Mach64 in my USE variable would it include that option when compiling QT?

thanks,

ryan
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for kicks, i specified gtkhtml in my USE variable and it worked!! i did a

Code:
emerge --pretend balsa

and it listed all the extra dependencies. one other thing now...

in the file /etc/make.profile/make.defaults (where i specified the extra USE variable) there's also an ARCH variable with a default of x86.

i have a p2 233 and i compiled everything using the 686 architecture. should i specify 686 there?

ryan
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
i have a p2 233 and i compiled everything using the 686 architecture. should i specify 686 there?ryan

No it just defines the architecture like x86 / ppc (powerpc) / sparc. Think it's used during the compilation of some packages to apply specific methods for ppc or sparc.

Btw. You could check the balsa-2.0.0.ebuild file for the USE flags it handles.

Cya lX.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: