View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlinkEye
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you yet tried different version of ipw2200?
J0Ba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWSUSP2 causes create_workqueue to take 2 arguments, the second having something to do with suspend (I think it's a sync property if my memory serves me right). The code basically depends on SWSUSP2 being configured in the kernel, and a simple #ifdef CONFIG_SWSUSP2 (or something like that) toggles the call to create_workqueue between one argument and two. Using an earlier version of the driver would have no effect, unless you use a really early version which would cause it to not work at all with SWSUSP2 :P

Someone could quite easily make a patch to make this driver work with nitro (I made one earlier but tossed it), but the best alternative in my mind is still to use SWSUSP2 due to its usefulness on a laptop. If you really dont' want to use it, you can always to the ctrl+z-edit ipw2200.c-`fg` trick during emerge. You just need to go about 3/4 through the code and look (or search) for create_workqueue being surrounded by the aforementioned ifdef. Just comment out the ifdef stucture leaving the two-argument create_workqueue in there.
koma
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0Ba wrote:
This error is caused by the SWSUSP2 support in the kernel. I believe the nitro patchset applies some of the SWSUSP2 changes whether the option is enabled or not, unless the kernel devs have made these changes in the kernel source tree for compatibility reasons. There are two ways to fix this:

1) Enable Software Suspend 2 (SWSUSP2) in the kernel. This causes the IPW2200 code to be built with the proper call to the workqueue command, and considering that you have an ipw2200 you're probably on a laptop and will want SWSUSP2 support at some point anyway.
2) Hit ctrl+z and modify the source yourself during the emerge process. This is tedious.

The last solution is to try to find/create a patch. I personally use SWSUSP2 so I don't run into this issue.
I LOVE YOU
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am struggling to get dmix to work.

I see from the first post that this kernel has alsa-1.0.7 , I have the following installed

Code:
-bash-3.00#qpkg -I -v |grep alsa
media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.8 *
media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.8 *
media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.8-r1 *
media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.8 *
media-sound/gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6 *
media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.8 *
media-sound/alsaplayer-0.99.76 *
media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.8.7-r1 *
media-plugins/alsa-jack-1.0.8 *

is it essential to mask all this 1.0.8 stuff and get everything to 1.0.7 to match the kernel?

TIA 8)
shadowteller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Nitro is the fastest I have ever been on.... Reply with quote

shadowteller wrote:
BRAVO on Kernel patch speed...6.2 seconds from power on to KDE start.

Okies let me rephrase this it was failry early in the morning when I posted this message...but heres the beef.
No shit I have other gentoo users as witnesses....

6.2 seconds fromt he time I type startx.

my config is this basically on this box....overclocked pentium 3.6GHz (running a little warm at 4.17GHz) 800Mhz FSB 1MB Cache. 2GB Corsair PC5400 DDR2, and 2 RAID0'd Western Digital 74GB Raptors (10K RPM and 4.5ms st, 8MB buffer). Theres a majority of the speed there.... next thing I need to do is get a PCI Express card to work on this box only have a PCI Voodoo junk now in here. Since PCI express doesn't allow AGP.

basic alterations to various files
make.conf
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fforce-addr -falign-functions=4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"

rc
RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"
RC_DEVICES="udev"
RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no"

hdparm -d1c1u1m16
output=
Timing cached reads: 2968 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1483.86 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 473.91 MB in 3.00 seconds = 157.97 MB/sec

ccache installed
1 512 MB swap on one channle and 1 512 swap on the another.

env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge --oneshot --nodeps gcc-config && USE="-* build bootstrap" emerge linux26-headers && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootstrap.sh && emerge libperl && emerge libperl && emerge system && emerge syslog-ng xinetd grub hotplug coldplug vixie-cron reiserfsprogs reiser4progs sysfsutils udev dhcpcd && emerge --nodeps acpid ntp && rc-update add syslog-ng default && rc-update add net.eth0 default && rc-update add vixie-cron default && rc-update add xinetd default && rc-update add sshd default && rc-update add hotplug default && rc-update add coldplug default && rc-update add acpid default

ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org

made a few init script changes

emerge nitro

Finally for the kde install
DO_NOT_COMPILE="doc drkonqi kappfinder kate kcheckpass kdebugdialog kdeprint kdesu kdm khelpcenter khotkeys kicker klipper kmenuedit konsole kpager kpersonalizer krichtexteditor kscreensaver kdepasswd ksysguard ktip kxkb nsplugins kreadconfig kdialog kstart ksystraycmd l10n legacyimport ksplashml kwin pics" emerge kdebase

So what do you think now eh?

Take it or leave it...

~prestN
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So KDE without the kruft is less of a slug, although looking at your list of exclusions I wonder what it still does have :D

I use xfce4 and it comes up in about 1.5s , no cruft , out of the box.

I am back to running nitro4 with portage on R4 and its so fast I cant even catch a glimps of what te compiler output is.

This is a vintage kernel.

Thanks Darckness/Seppe/
8)
shadowteller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
So KDE without the kruft is less of a slug, although looking at your list of exclusions I wonder what it still does have :D

I use xfce4 and it comes up in about 1.5s , no cruft , out of the box. 8)

Left overs for dinner are kdesktop, kcontrol, kioslavem konqoueror (woot very cool now great for fast organization to), ksmserver, konqlib and applink.

As far as xfce4 goes...it still strikes me as looking to much like solaris which I worshipped until I went to college...then some prof made life a nightmare on it and well...oh well it looks like solaris to me....hehe.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just lucky enough not to have worked on solaris, but I like a no-frills approach :wink:

I might give KDE another look if it can be lightened up that much. I always found it was such a dinosaur, and my aversion was that it reminded too much of another OS that has wound me up beyond measure in the past :evil:

Everyone has thier own phobias I suppose 8)

PS I've just had a closer look at your spec. Well, your disk IO is about 2.5 to 3 times faster than mine so that must make an enormous boost (but my Baracuda is all but inaudible).

This DONT COMPILE thing is interesting , I almost got temped but I couldnt bring my self to weigh down a nice new clean gentoo with even a KDE-lite. I have 1G5 on / and 2G7 for portage.

It still needs some finishing but its mostly there.

Without turning this into a ricer's thread , how many bogmips to you get in /proc/cpuinfo ?
I've never had a Pentium it would just be interesting to see a ballpark figure you get from those bus speeds. My althon gives : 4456.44 on FSB=180.@2.2GHz

Now to see if I can achieve a low-latancy with this nitro so that I can do more serious sound work that listening to mp3s all day.

8)
shadowteller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 4017.319
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni monitor ds_cpl cid
bogomips        : 8010.58
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , that's interesting, nearly 80 % faster than mine on the face of it but cliocked at twice the speed and 4x more cache.

At the end of the day it seems your 6.2s startup time is more due to your impressive hardware setup than tuning KDE, although that must help a bit as well.

Thanks for your posts, its useful to compare. Always good to raise the head from time to time .

Regards. 8)
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW:
this kernel seems to be quite stable:

Code:

uname -a && uptime
Linux debian-athlon 2.6.10-nitro4 #11 Thu Feb 24 19:21:04 CET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
 14:14:06 up 5 days, 20:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.06, 0.01

Good work Darckness

:D

Last edited by Phlogiston on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does it mean to disable 4K stacks? how do i do that and enable 4K stacks? can i run reiser and reiser4 on two differnt partitions? how do i creat reiser4 partition, what would be my fstab entry?
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k stacks is a kernel hacking option

reiserfs and reiser4 are compleltely independant and different fileing systems , mix them as you would ext3 and any other.

mkfs.reiser4

example :

/dev/sda1 /usr/portage reiser4 noauto,noatime 0 0

You will have big problems if you mix 4k stacks and R4 as it says in big letters in the first post of this thread!

HTH
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see any stacks oprtion in kernel hacking. do i need to apply any patch? wondering when the nitro for 2.6.11 official is coming out.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rush_ad: Please post in only one thread. There should not be any further response to you in this thread.

Thank you.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, wont happen again. i though one thread was more active, so posted in both.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read in one of the nitro threads that R4 and staircase dont work reliably together.

Are the other scheduler options safe with R4?

Is it poss to change the scheduler on a running system or can this only be set for the bootloader.

TIA 8)
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
I've read in one of the nitro threads that R4 and staircase dont work reliably together.

That's just wrong. It isn't staircase that is responsible since the root partition as reiser4 problem happens in second last -mm patch as well. Once a rumour starts on these forums it quickly seems to be spread as fact.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
Gentree wrote:

That's just wrong. It isn't staircase that is responsible since the root partition as reiser4 problem happens in second last -mm patch as well. Once a rumour starts on these forums it quickly seems to be spread as fact.

I didnot say staircase was responsible, I had read there was an incompatability.

Are you then saying that this is an inaccurate rumour and R4 will work perfectly reliably with staircase scheduler?

Let's stamp out any rumours with facts. 8)
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
bollucks wrote:
Gentree wrote:

I didnot say staircase was responsible, I had read there was an incompatability.

Are you then saying that this is an inaccurate rumour and R4 will work perfectly reliably with staircase scheduler?

Let's stamp out any rumours with facts. 8)

Reliably, yes. There has not been a solid report that found staircase as making reiser4 not work. That's not commenting on subtleties of interactivity which are personal experiences though... ;)

[edit] since you asked; no there isn't currently a cpu scheduler that can be changed on the fly. Plugsched will allow you to change it at boot only.

Last edited by bollucks on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
Gentree wrote:

Not so wrong ;) for ex. 2.6.11-rc3 with Staircase 10.5 and reiser4 support . during copying kernel_src , running bmp and trying to open file selection to play some file. Mouse pointer freezed for some seconds.

OF course it`s not a Staircase fault. But with Staircase it was been able to seen.

I said _was_ because with rc4/rc5/and 2.6.11 stable is _really_ much better now. And also it was been no problems with 2.6.10

logic ? with 2.6.11-rc3 ( which we tested much ) and Staircase 10.5 and reiser4 + high FS load are interactivity problems. with the same 2.6.11-rc3 with just O(1) and the same reiser4 code aren`t any problems.

btw.MM problem with reiser4 not must be related to the same thing as Staircase and rc1/2/3.

it`s not only a rumor , some people in vivid thread confirmed mouse pointer freezes also on the irc.
I talked someday with Con on #ck and he said that it can be a reiser4 implementation problem related.
When I run 2.6.11-rcX/stable with reiser3.6 and staircase _everything_is ok.

of course it`s _my opinion_ I still prefer O(1) or NickSched for reiser4.

[EDIT]
bollucks wrote:

Reliably, yes. There has not been a solid report that found staircase as making reiser4 not work. That's not commenting on subtleties of interactivity which are personal experiences though...

nobody said that Staircase making reiser4 not work - just read my post. we have also Staircase patch in love.
[/EDIT]
cheers :)
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies, its obviously less of an issue that I thought.

So finally how do I find the right values to set in grub.conf ?

Unless it has changed , I used to add elevator=cfq to the kernel line.

could you give a code ex. for nickshed , what is the O(1) option you refer to?

once I have a few more important issues sorted out , like cdrecord broken again (grr) I am going to move to 2.6.11-nitro.

Thanks again.
fallow
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
thanks for all the replies, its obviously less of an issue that I thought.

So finally how do I find the right values to set in grub.conf ?

Unless it has changed , I used to add elevator=cfq to the kernel line.

could you give a code ex. for nickshed , what is the O(1) option you refer to?

once I have a few more important issues sorted out , like cdrecord broken again (grr) I am going to move to 2.6.11-nitro.

Thanks again.

no problem . of course I`m not going to start a flame or something :) Just wrote my opinion.

As I see U are nitro user so You are using Staircase as CPU Scheduler. as Bollucks said without plugsched isn`t a possibility to change cpu scheduler via bootparams currently.

O(1) - Ingosched - is in Tigers release of rt nitro with Ingos extension ( RT patch ) or is also "clear" just in vanilla.
If You want to test NickSched - here is a latest at the moment patch - www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/2.6.11-nicksched.gz or is in love,skunk or mm based no-sources as well.

and You can also try to reverse Staircase from Nitro if You want to use nitro witrh O(1) for example or just ask some Nitro dev for it .

cheers :)
"Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived" J-L. Picard ;)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, seems like I am confusing the task scheduler and the IO-scheduler

Well in that case I can confirm that my 2.6.10-nitro4 seems OK with R4 on staircase.

What I then should have asked was how to change the IO-shed.

I selected all the option in the config and the help seemed to suggest that deadline may the best for my usage.

How do I select that, or are you going to tell me that's what I am using already?:?

Thx 8)
whabee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Gentoo 2004.3 on a P4 intel motherboard system with a gforce fx 5600 video card, and I have kernel-2.6.10-gentoo running perfect. I am a huge gamer so I thought I would give the nitro kernel a try I followed the steps and emerged nitro 2.6.10 and recompiled nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx all went well there. I set all the things it told me to in xorg.conf then I rebooted my machine and the nvidia splash screen came up went away came up again and did this about 3 times, then I got am error that the GUI could not load because my mouse wasnt configured right, I am thinking humm whats the mouse got to do with it, any way I booted back into my normal 2.6.10 kernel and gnome loaded right up so I tried the nitro 2.6.11 kernel and got the same mouse error and crash as 2.6.10, anyone got any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: