Installing OpenOffice for KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Installing OpenOffice for KDE Reply with quote

Open Office for KDE has been around for some time, but the link was not added to the site at http://kde.openoffice.org so I didn't realise it was available.

The version is still 1.1.3 but I have not had the documented problem with it that led to the 1.1.4 upgrade, so I decided that, as I use KDE, this is the one I wanted. It is a binary too, so no long builds.

I used existing files and a manual download to accomplish my mission. First, you need to follow this link:

http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=packages/ooffice/OOo_1.1.3-kde_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz

Select a mirror and you will download the KDE version of Open Office. This will take some time, I'm afraid! When it's done, move it to /usr/portage/distfiles . That will require you to be root, as will all the instructions that follow.

Now create a directory at /usr/local/portage/app-office/openoffice-kde-bin/

Copy the file /usr/portage/app-office/openoffice-bin/openoffice-bin-1.1.3.ebuild to the directory you just created. Rename it to openoffice-kde-bin-1.1.3.ebuild.

Now edit the ebuild. All you have to do is change the line that reads:

MY_P="OOo_${PV}_LinuxIntel_install"

to:

MY_P="OOo_${PV}-kde_LinuxIntel_install"

now do:

cd /usr/local/portage/app-office/openoffice-kde-bin/
ebuild openoffice-kde-bin-1.1.3.ebuild digest
emerge -C openoffice-bin (to get rid of the old version)
emerge openoffice-kde-bin

Your Openoffice should now have all the crystal icon set, and your buttons and menus etc in all the dialogues will be whatever ones you had set when you started Open Office.

Apart from the looks, you will notice that the Printer dialogue, whilst not being KDE, works seamlessly. The system printer settings you made will be respected and print correctly, "straight out of the box".

There is no need to set up your fonts from the Printer Admin dialogue, nor to edit your printers. It all works as it should.
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I'm unable to start OO by running oowriter et al. I can run it directly with "/opt/OpenOffice.org/program/soffice", but this isn't much fun. I didn't get a KDE menu entry installed either. Perhaps it's user error on my part.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
simondo42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know about the Ximian builds of OpenOffice.org in portage? They allow building in kde/gnome support. The latest version is based on 1.1.4.

Cheers,
simondo
rohan28
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have had the same problem as Vanquirius. Specifically, what happened is that, after merging, /usr/bin/ooffice was an empty file! I even tried specifically unmerging all versions of OpenOffice first and making sure /usr/bin/ooffice was deleted before merging, but the problem persisted. Disappointing :-( What would really be nice is if we get OpenOffice-2 betas in portage (once they are released, of course).
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rohan28 wrote:
I may have had the same problem as Vanquirius. Specifically, what happened is that, after merging, /usr/bin/ooffice was an empty file! I even tried specifically unmerging all versions of OpenOffice first and making sure /usr/bin/ooffice was deleted before merging, but the problem persisted. Disappointing :-( What would really be nice is if we get OpenOffice-2 betas in portage (once they are released, of course).

I just used kdemenuedit, and then save "/opt/OpenOffice.org/program/s" on the clipboard and substitute it for "oo" or "/usr/bin/oo" in each entry. Takes a minute or so but I think it is worth it for true KDE integration.

By the way, OpenOffice-2 betas are available, however the archives open up to rpms, and using rpm2targz then installing from the tar.gz files does not seem to work. I had to emerge "rpm" which does the trick. If someone knows how to write an ebuild that will be brilliant. The OOo2 betas are great.

By the way in OOo2 you can use "png" files for toolbar icons, so you can substitute those horrible OOo icons for nice Gnome or KDE ones.
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: