A Couple of Simple ?s
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildcard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: A Couple of Simple ?s Reply with quote

My First question is how do you tell if a package is unmasked or pasked in the portage profile?

How do you get sound running under esound or alsa running under gnome (i'm not a big fan of kde--to much mem)

How do i get my creative dxr3 dvd decoder running under gentoo. I could never get it running under redhat. It kept on giving me strange errors and frying my whole install.

Thanks
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Couple of Simple ?s Reply with quote

wildcard wrote:
My First question is how do you tell if a package is unmasked or pasked in the portage profile?

Well if there's a '#' in front of the line it's commented out so it ain't masked. By doing emerge -s packagename you get the latest installable (unmasked) version.

wildcard wrote:
How do you get sound running under esound or alsa running under gnome (i'm not a big fan of kde--to much mem)

ALSA_CARDS=<card_name> emerge alsa-driver alsa-oss alsa-utils.
edit /etc/modules.d/alsa
add snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss to /etc/module.autoload (to create /dev/dsp /dev/mixer)
think this covers it, but there are better posts about installing alsa. if alsa works then esound works, just need to turn it on via control-centre.
btw. remember that a normal user needs to be part of the audio group to access /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.

wildcard wrote:
How do i get my creative dxr3 dvd decoder running under gentoo. I could never get it running under redhat. It kept on giving me strange errors and frying my whole install.

I don't know...
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: A Couple of Simple ?s Reply with quote

wildcard wrote:

Try this:
Code:
emerge -s em8300
*  media-video/em8300-libraries
      Latest version Available: 0.12.0-r1
      Latest version Installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Homepage: http://dxr3.sourceforge.net
      Description: em8300 (RealMagic Hollywood+/Creative DXR3) video decoder
      card libraries

*  media-video/em8300-modules
      Latest version Available: 0.12.0
      Latest version Installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Homepage: http://dxr3.sourceforge.net
      Description: em8300 (RealMagic Hollywood+/Creative DXR3) video decoder
      card kernel modules

So you should emerge em8300-modules and em8300-libraries.
Once you have those configure and installed emerge mplayer.

Mplayer configure script should pick up the libraries and compile with support for it.

then when you run mplayer use one the -vo switch to select dxr3 (try mplayer --help for more info).

You can referer to dxr3 homepage for more info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: