View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting my latest successful install using this method. It was done using the slowest machine I've ever installed gentoo on. (but then i've only installed it on 3 PCs so far. :-P )

Specs: IBM Thinkpad T20, 128MB RAM, Pentium 3 coppermine with speedstep, 12GB hard drive

It performs reasonably well, after installing KDE 3.4.0 split ebuilds. Almost like a pentium 4! :-)
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may try and give this method a shot in the next day or so. Off for rest of week till new semester starts so got some spare time.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
Reporting my latest successful install using this method. It was done using the slowest machine I've ever installed gentoo on. (but then i've only installed it on 3 PCs so far. :-P )

Specs: IBM Thinkpad T20, 128MB RAM, Pentium 3 Coppermine with speedstep, 12GB hard drive

It performs reasonably well, after installing KDE 3.4.0 split ebuilds. Almost like a pentium 4! :-)

Hehe. Its funny that you're reporting your latest successful install on the slowest machine you've ever installed Gentoo on, a Pentium 3 Coppermine!

It turns out that a P3-800 Coppermine is my standard desktop box, and the fastest machine that I've ever installed Gentoo on! Even when running KDE, my P3-800 with 256 MB feels plenty fast after the Stage 1 on 3 installation -- fast enough that I feel no need whatsoever to upgrade to a Pentium 4. (granted, it may not feel like the fastest PC on the block when its comes time to emerge -e world, but as a desktop box, a Coppermine running Gentoo/KDE feels plenty fast. :wink:
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
kimchi_sg wrote:

Specs: IBM Thinkpad T20, 128MB RAM, Pentium 3 Coppermine with speedstep, 12GB hard drive

Hehe. Its funny that you're reporting your latest successful install on the slowest machine you've ever installed Gentoo on, a Pentium 3 Coppermine!

It turns out that a P3-800 Coppermine is my standard desktop box, and the fastest machine that I've ever installed Gentoo on! Even when running KDE, my P3-800 with 256 MB feels plenty fast after the Stage 1 on 3 installation -- fast enough that I feel no need whatsoever to upgrade to a Pentium 4. (granted, it may not feel like the fastest PC on the block when its comes time to emerge -e world, but as a desktop box, a Coppermine running Gentoo/KDE feels plenty fast. :wink:

Answer my PM. :evil:
LordBug
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hung up for a day due to the gcc 3.4.3-r1 bug, but I now have this build method 95% complete. Bootstrap is finished, kernel tree is downloaded (but not yet compiled), and Xorg is compiling now (since I'm at work, I'll let that go all day).

I ended up having to do this whole thing using a 2005.0 beta CD, as the system has SCSI, and 2004.3 hangs with the 'doscsi' command. It all went off without a problem (save for GCC, but that's not the Guide's fault).
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordBug wrote:
I now have this build method 95% complete. Bootstrap is finished, kernel tree is downloaded (but not yet compiled), and Xorg is compiling now (since I'm at work, I'll let that go all day).

thanks for the feedback. i'm kinda confused by your post, as there is no bootstrap in this guide. btw, if you're compiling xorg, you must have successfully finished the gentoo installaton. :)

thanks for letting us know that the guide works well with the 2005.0 beta CD. :wink:

by any chance, does anyone know what version of GCC is being used to produce the 2005.0 beta CD?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

Mine is a "mobile" coppermine 700mHz with just 128MB RAM. Maybe that will explain the difference. Could it be the speedstep technology kicking in automatically? I'm plugged in to AC 100% of the time while installing, though. :-D
addeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removed text

Last edited by addeman on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed.

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
addeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed text...

Last edited by addeman on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the interest of keeping irrelevant material out of this thread, i'd like to ask everyone who's posted a support request that has been solved to remove the associated text from their post. this will remove some of the unnecessary bloat, making it easier for people who are trying wade through all of the irrelevant material on this thread while trying to learn about Stage 1 on 3 installations.

thanks.

kimchi, you might want to check "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to see how many bogomips you're getting out of that mobile p-3. a desktop p3-800 has a value of 1573.

Last edited by Bob P on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed the guide but had a problem with sysfs not mounting and then root failing...

Apparently I need more recent versions of several packages, which i had to add to package.keywords

my problem here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2063414#2063414

solution found here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=277502

had to add the following to packages.keywords
Code:
app-shells/bash ~x86
sys-fs/udev ~x86
sys-fs/sysfsutils ~x86
sys-apps/baselayout ~x86
sys-libs/readline ~x86
sys-apps/sysvinit ~x86
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
had to add the following to packages.keywords
Code:
app-shells/bash ~x86
sys-fs/udev ~x86
sys-fs/sysfsutils ~x86
sys-apps/baselayout ~x86
sys-libs/readline ~x86
sys-apps/sysvinit ~x86

Yay! ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" proves its superiority again!

@Bob P: I have used ~x86 for this tutorial everytime, and failed only once, on the linux26-headers bug. :-P
busfahrer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a special thread for discussing CFLAGS, but since this thread is partly about the benefits gained from gcc-3.4.x, I wanted to ask:

On AMD64, what CFLAGS have proven to be usable for you people with this installation method (or in general)?

Sorry if it doesn't fit in 100%.
evapilot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't GCC compile itself? This can be shown if you use -mcpu in the first toolkit compile, because it fails half way through with a warning to change to mtune.
Also, I think it's best to put the optimized CFLAGS after the initial toolkit recompilation, as emerge -e system will cause it to recompile anyway.
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evapilot wrote:
Doesn't GCC compile itself? This can be shown if you use -mcpu in the first toolkit compile, because it fails half way through with a warning to change to mtune.
Also, I think it's best to put the optimized CFLAGS after the initial toolkit recompilation, as emerge -e system will cause it to recompile anyway.

You did something wrong, I got no such failure. Start over, the compiler shouldn't change to 3.4.3 until you run "gcc-config 2" AFTER the first toolkit compile. Even after 3.4.3 is on your system, you can go back to 3.3.4 at any time by running gcc-config 1. Hope that helps. Try running gcc-config -l to see what compiler is currently being used, that is if gcc-config already compiled. Seriously though, like I said, sounds like you butchered something.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evapilot wrote:

I think you have misread the tutorial there. The make.conf is edited after the "initial toolchain compilation", and the "optimized CFLAGS" are inserted only at that point. Thus, what you say is already the prescribed practice.

Last edited by kimchi_sg on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaFrOuT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a small question and believe me i am asking it cause i can't find another solution

i have already the CD minimal-2004.3 but NOT the r1, can i use it with this guide or it will cause problems

i am asking this cause i won't be able to get teh r1 version before 2 days and i can't wait till then to start Gentoo again

sorry for bothering

[1] DFI NF4-Ultra
[2] Opteron 165 @ 2.5Ghz
[3] Palit X800Pro ( trying to change it for a 7600GT )
[4] G.Skill 2GB ZX @ DDR500 3-3-3-8
[5] SkyHAwk 620watt
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaFrOuT wrote:
i have a small question and believe me i am asking it cause i can't find another solution

i have already the CD minimal-2004.3 but NOT the r1, can i use it with this guide or it will cause problems

i am asking this cause i won't be able to get teh r1 version before 2 days and i can't wait till then to start Gentoo again

sorry for bothering

Although you ARE deviating from the guide, for which punishment IS hell, I don't see why a slightly older CD won't work - as long as it gets you booted and connected. You download everything from the internet.
evapilot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify:
Let's take step 7.2.1:
Quote:
Here are some settings for /etc/make.conf that may be worth considering. They are the actual CFLAGS that I used to build my systems and have proven reliable on multiple installations. They include extreme levels of code optimization (notice the -O3 flag), and some very safe and stable performance-enhancing CFLAGS.
At the second part of step 7.2.4 we do
Code:
emerge -e system
These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating system dependencies ...done!

[ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/binutils-2.15.92.0.2-r1
[ebuild  N    ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4.20041102
It seems to me that the optimizations should go after we do
Code:
emerge glibc binutils gcc portage

Secondly, GCC compiles itself. I.e., when we build GCC 3.4 for the first time, it builds a bootstrap 3.4 compiler, which in turn rebuilds itself - so we immediately get a GCC 3.4 built with GCC 3.4.
If you did what I did, which was to download a pentium3 stage 3 tar ball and use the default CFLAGS, which include -mcpu=pentium3, the GCC ebuild then borks when the bootstrap 3.4 compiler runs. This is because it spits out the warning about mcpu being deprecated.

On this basis, I would do the following:
1. Set basic CFLAGS for compiling speed.
Code:
# env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge -C linux-headers && emerge linux26-headers && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc && gcc-config 2 && emerge env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils portage
3. Modify the CFLAGS
Code:
emerge -e system

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busfahrer wrote:
I know there is a special thread for discussing CFLAGS, but since this thread is partly about the benefits gained from gcc-3.4.x, I wanted to ask:

On AMD64, what CFLAGS have proven to be usable for you people with this installation method (or in general)?

i've just picked up an AMD64 system and once i have it ready for a gentoo installation, I'll be looking at the CFLAGS and GCC 3.4 threads for the answer. i hate to state the obvious, but looking there is really our best bet. :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaFrOuT wrote:

i have already the CD minimal-2004.3 but NOT the r1, can i use it with this guide or it will cause problems.

i would not use installation media that is older than that required for this installation method. you need to have the right version of the Stage 3 Tarball, or you should expect that the installation will break.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evapilot wrote:
I would do the following:
  1. Set basic CFLAGS for compiling speed.
  2. Code:
    # env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge -C linux-headers && emerge linux26-headers && emerge gcc-config glibc binutils gcc && gcc-config 2 && emerge env-update && source /etc/profile && emerge glibc binutils portage

3. Modify the CFLAGS
  4. Code:
    emerge -e system

I do not see what the difference is, other than sticking the CFLAGS in at a later point in time. Sooner or later you will have to change your CFLAGS, and you are just advising to do it later.

In the prescribed method, the toolchain will get rebuilt 3 times in all, once with "old' CFLAGS and twice with the "new" CFLAGS. (Excluding the internal self-rebuild gcc does each time it emerges.) Won't it be better for system stability if we keep it this way?

The new method would be a recipe for self-punishment. You build the toolchain with the new set of CFLAGS just once, running the risk that it may not be as rock-solid as building it twice upon the same set of CFLAGS. And stability is the keyword in this install tutorial. ;-)

If you are just looking to dodge bug 80211, take -mcpu out of your "old" CFLAGS (the set used up to the "updating make.conf" and the gcc-config 2 command parts). No need to shuffle the order of the installation procedure.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
i would not use installation media that is older than that required for this installation method. you need to have the right version of the Stage 3 Tarball, or you should expect that the installation will break.

I oppose you on this point.

/me clutches tightly his trusty 2004.3 minimal liveCD. :lol:
SaFrOuT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:

Ok thanks, i think i'll wait till i can get the r1 version

[1] DFI NF4-Ultra
[2] Opteron 165 @ 2.5Ghz
[3] Palit X800Pro ( trying to change it for a 7600GT )
[4] G.Skill 2GB ZX @ DDR500 3-3-3-8
[5] SkyHAwk 620watt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: