Lilo splash screen question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Lilo splash screen question Reply with quote

Until now I've used slack's lilo to boot all 3 OSes (win98, slack and gentoo) but since I'm thinking of scrapping slack for the extra disk space I'll have to use a boot loader from gentoo. And no, sorry folks, Grub won't work... no matter what I try, no matter how many times I read the man and info pages it keeps freaking out. So lilo it is, again.
If I got things right, the current lilo distribution provides a feature for graphical boot menu (a rather restrictive 256 colors image but that'll do fine) that was previously available only as a patch. So far, so good... But how do I make and *install* that splash image? The lilo-splash script-fu plugin's home page talks about a utility called "mklilomessage" but I don't seem to find it and what's more it seems to refer to the older patched versions (the current lilo man page refers to a boot-bmp.b as the installer to use for such a function instead of the message option).

Now, the question is:
Does anyone use lilo with a splash and if yes, how did you do it? - also paste the related lilo.conf section...
Thanks!
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You'll find mkbootmsg in the gfxboot rpm provided by SuSE. The problem is, that the standard lilo sources support only max. 16 colors (vga resolution). Nevertheless, I tested it today without patching the lilo sources. As expected it doesn't work.

Carlo
mr_neutron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are satisfied with a 640x480 pic at 16 colors, you don't need to install a patched version of lilo. Just add this to your /etc/lilo/conf (in the global section):
Code:

install = /boot/boot-bmp.b
bitmap = /boot/gentoo.bmp
bmp-table = 2,1
bmp-colors = 15,0,0;0,15,0
bmp-timer = 72,28,15,0,0

where /boot/gentoo.bmp is your 640x480 16 color (indexed) .bmp.
The colors for the menu text are specified with bmp-colors, and refer to the colors used in the bitmap, so getting something readable is a matter of trial & error (change, run /sbin/lilo, reboot), unless you know in what order the colors are numbered in your bitmap. The above work for this image, which I use as lilo splash-screen at the moment.
For more info, read /usr/share/doc/lilo-22.3.3-r1/README.bitmaps.gz
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem. I'm not satisfied with 16 colors. Unfortunately the latest patches provided by SuSE via ftp are for lilo 22.3.2. I tend to wait, maybe I'll write an email. A nice graphical bootmenu is not that important, I think. Then again, I like these nice animated bootmenus... :wink:

If anyone is interested, these are the latest rpm's:
ftp://ftp.suse.com:21/pub/suse/i386/8.1/suse/src/gfxboot-1.9-54.src.rpm
ftp://ftp.suse.com:21/pub/suse/i386/8.1/suse/src/lilo-22.3.2-51.src.rpm
ftp://ftp.suse.com:21/pub/suse/i386/8.1/suse/src/lilo-bootscreens-1.0-203.src.rpm

Carlo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: