Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejwahl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the low-latency patch from here.

I don't think an ebuild will make your job that much easier. "emerge vanilla-sources" will put the kernel source files in /usr/src. Go into /usr/src/linux, copy the Kernel-Win4Lin, mki-adapter, low-latency and preempt patches into that directory and then "patch -p 1 < whatever.patch" for each one in that order. Then "make xconfig" or "menuconfig" and away you go. After reboot, then I believe you have to download the Win4Lin rpm yourself from the member section. It's a matter of emerging rpm, then "rpm -i --nodeps Win4Lin-5.3.6d-d.i386.rpm". Move /etc/rc.d/init.d/Win4Lin to /etc/init.d/Win4Lin, "rc-update add Win4Lin default". After that, ensure you have your Windows 95, 98 or ME CD in the CDROM drive and "loadwindowsCD" will take you through the installation process as root. Then "winsetup" as user will install your user files. Then type "win" to launch Win4Lin itself. HTH.
a9db0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Win4Lin does not support the Gentoo Kernel, so you must patch a vanilla Kernel with 2 patches available from the Netraverse website.
Robert Brown

Do we know why the Gentoo kernel is not supported? Is there a specific patch that causes issues with Win4Lin?

I ask because I'm running and i810 based machine that is only happy with the Gentoo lolo sources, and I really don't want to have to reconstruct them from scratch.

--
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a9db0 wrote:

Do we know why the Gentoo kernel is not supported? Is there a specific patch that causes issues with Win4Lin?

--

Basically the Win4Lin patches fail to apply to the gentoo-sources, so I stopped there ;-p. They may work on the lolo-sources, never tried.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all say win4lin doesn't support usb. Will my usb mouse work?

Is there a student discount like for vmware?
really
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is win4lin better than wine? for example opengl games?

is it gpled? does it use and lib or anything thats written by ms or code not gpled or bsd:ed ?
thanks

Get lost before you get shot.
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
Y'all say win4lin doesn't support usb. Will my usb mouse work?

Is there a student discount like for vmware?

I would suggest asking this on the win4lin-users mailing list or check the archive. List info is as follows:

To subscribe: From the email address you wish to subscribe, send an email to win4lin-users-feed@netraverse.com and follow the instructions in the email you receive back.

List Archive: You can access the list archive at https://email.netraverse.com/lists/.

Once you are subscribed, email your post to win4lin-users@netraverse.com.
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoe wrote:
is win4lin better than wine? for example opengl games?

Probably not. WIn4Lin AFAIK is not good for gaming because it does not support directx or accelerated video drivers. I heard someone mention that Win4Lin now does support directx with the new partnership w/ Xandros desktop, but I could not find info on thier website confirming this. I have the latest Win4Lin standalone and it does not support directx.

antoe wrote:

is it gpled? does it use and lib or anything thats written by ms or code not gpled or bsd:ed ?
thanks

Win4Lin itself is not open source, nor is it even free. Not to mention that it is useless unless you install Windows itself on top of it ;-p. Win4Lin is similar to VMWare, but performs MUCH better and is limited to Win9x based OS's. The Win4Lin kernel patches however are gpl'd.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring an old thread 'back from the dead' but i've been looking into ways of getting a few Windows apps going in Gentoo. It's not games so i'm ok with the lack of directx support and i'm also keen because i've had very little luck getting wine to run the apps i want.

What i need to know is what the Win4Lin portage version is......is it the 30 day trail or the free version?

Also, this thread mentioned lots of stuff about it not being compatible with gentoo-sources kernel (which i use) but the netraverse site does mention Gentoo 1.4 as supported host.

TIA Raoul 8)
Robert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "free" version of Win4Lin. The ebuild is for the 30 day trial as stated in the ebuild:

Code:

"Win4Lin is a commercial product, you now are using a evaluation-license for 15 days evaluation. If you want a extra 15 days of evaluation you must run "sh /opt/win4lin/registerme.sh"'

Netraverse has a discount offer for Gentoo users to register here

Now as far as the gentoo-sources kernel...

I read that they do plan to add Win4Lin support to gentoo-sources, but have yet to do so. For now they offer a win4lin-sources Kernel which is great, but it is simply a vanilla Kernel with the Win4Lin patches applied... no preempt, low latency or any other enhancements which I cant live without. Therefore I still build my own Kernel starting with the vanilla sources and adding my usual patches by hand. I am willing to admit though that I cannot wait until gentoo-sources does include Win4Lin support, so I can run a more optimized Kernel ;)

Oh.. and don't forget that even if you run win4lin-sources you must remember to enable the "windows application support" option during the Kernel configuration.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert :)

Hopefully they will get support for the (excellent) gentoo-sources kernel soon. It's good that they seem to be supporting Gentoo with offers and general support.

I'll just have to be patient :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: