Moving from Intel CPU to AMD CPU
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarball
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Moving from Intel CPU to AMD CPU Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought an AMD 1800XP CPU and Elite K7S5A MoBo to replace my aging Dual 466 Celeron and ABIT BP6 MoBo.

I have installed the new mobo and cpu, and I have just attached the drives to the new mobo.
I now have a couple of questions,

Firstly, I have noticed the the system is not particularly stable especially running X. I have recompiled the kernel and modules but the rest of the system is still running executables compiled with CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3" so I this the likely cause of the instability??

Secondly, I now obviously want to compile the system with CFLAGS for my Athlon processor, so how can I force a recompilation of my entire system (I don't mind if I have to leave it working a couple of days) or is there an easy(-ish) way to perform a stage 1 install without a complete reformat??

Ok I just gotta sneak in a third one, would it be better to just compile my kernel with Althon optimisations and then compile the rest of the system optimised for i686 architechure? I don't intend to change the system for a while now but would this make it easier to switch between x86 processors and would this have any large detrimental effect on performance over compiling with althon optimisations???

Cheers
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To recompile your system do
Code:
# emerge -e world

After compilation with the right flags it should be stable.

I'd recompile everything with the better optimization but's just me... I don't think the performance gain is very high but I don't have numbers.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't intend to change the system for a while now but would this make it easier to switch between x86 processors and would this have any large detrimental effect on performance over compiling with althon optimisations?

Performance loss is about 8% according to the gcc folks.

If you wanted the option of running the same system on different cpu's you could use "-march=i686 -mcpu=athlon-xp" which would perform cpu scheduling optimizations for an Athlon XP but would keep cpu compatability with i686. Doing this you wouldn't be compiling with 3dnow or sse (usually not a big deal though).

Quote:
so I this the likely cause of the instability??

I doubt it, test your memory first (test with the case on at full operating temperature)
http://www.memtest86.com/

You could drop to O2 if you continue to have problems and your memory tests fine. If you do get memory errors up the voltage 0.1 if you can with that motherboard and restest it, usually fixes it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: