grub problems on a raid0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackphiber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: grub problems on a raid0 Reply with quote

following this wonderful tutorial http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID and I get to the final step, setting up grub. I do a:
grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
and I get: error 15: file not found

my grub.conf
default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=gentoo 2.6.10-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.10-r1 root=/dev/md1

md1 is my root partition and md0 is my boot, I choose not to include a swap (1 GB ram). I have two SATA drives (silicon image chipset) and I did get a raid 1 installed on this box before with no problem with the 2004.1 cd I think. If there is any other information I can provide, please, let me know. btw I am just trying to get this box setup for mythtv, should be neat to play around with. and if one of you wonderful folks would like to ssh in and poke around, be my guest, it would be more than welcome. Just pm me for the username/password.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: grub problems on a raid0 Reply with quote

blackphiber wrote:
I get to the final step, setting up grub. I do a:
grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
and I get: error 15: file not found

Keep in mind, the BIOS and the bootloader do not know anything about software RAID. When you install GRUB, you will be installing on the individual drives, not the array.

I am going to assume /dev/md0 (your /boot partition) consists of the first partition of both of your harddrives. If this is correct, you can install GRUB like this :
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
grub> quit
blackphiber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: grub problems on a raid0 Reply with quote

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)
grub> quit [/code]

thanks for the suggestion, I should have specified that I tried that (tired I guess). when I do root (hd0,0) it says: filesystem type: ext2fs and that goes fine but when I do setup (hd0) it says:
Code:
checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 2: Bad file or directory type

And yes, /dev/md0 (my /boot partition) consists of the first partition of both of my harddrives.
I don't know if I said it before but if you would like to ssh in and take a peek you can, just pm me for a username/password. I am doing a stage 3 install and will just use the binary packages because I don't want it to use a bunch of cpu power for compiling stuff rather than encoding programs. Thank you for replying and it looks like you post a lot, thanks for helping everyone so much.

*edit: I did search but I just found this forum, but still no tips that work.
the output of the last suggestion
Code:

grub-install hd0
probing devices to guess BIOS drives.  This may take a long time.
/dev/md0: Not found or not a block device

could it be because on this live cd I had to use the workaround found here at the bottom of that page? Anyone here have any idea when 2005.1 will come out (should have a fix to that bug above) so i can check and see if this is my problem?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: grub problems on a raid0 Reply with quote

blackphiber wrote:
when I do root (hd0,0) it says: filesystem type: ext2fs and that goes fine but when I do setup (hd0) it says:
Code:
checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no

Error 2: Bad file or directory type

And yes, /dev/md0 (my /boot partition) consists of the first partition of both of my harddrives.

I should have also mentioned that /boot must be RAID1 (or non-RAID) in order for the BIOS and GRUB to be able to read it. RAID0 is fine for / but not for /boot.
blackphiber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call, I should have thought of that, I will try again from the start (stage 3 installs go pretty fast thank god) and see how it goes. (like I said I did a raid1 install before and everything worked fine) thanks!

*edit: sure enough, it is working, thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: