View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Wine/Acrobat/Linux Alternative? Reply with quote

Ok, here's the issue. I use the "Web Capture" feature of Acrobat all the time to build up documentation, etc. Basically, it allows you to put in a URL to Acrobat & capture the URL to a pdf. It will even drill down certain levels, etc... a nice feature.

Now, I got Acrobat working under wine(x-cvs), using wine native dlls, but when I click the web capture button it always crashes. Is there a way to replicate this web capture feature using Linux apps? Im fine using KGhostView to replace Acrobat, but I dont know how to replicate the URL -> PDF part...

thanks
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically, it allows you to put in a URL to Acrobat & capture the URL to a pdf. It will even drill down certain levels, etc... a nice feature.

So basically it makes a pdf file that looks like the page on the internet?

You could always simply print to either a postscript file or a pdf file from the print options that kde and gnome both have. If you print it to postscript and need it as a pdf, you could do this on the command line:

ps2pdf foo.ps

This would generate foo.pdf. I'm pretty sure this is part of the tetex package, which if you don't have you can simply get by:

emerge tetex

Now for the recursion of that type of application, it would be based on you printing out what you wanted. I'm slightly confused as to why you want these web pages in pdf to start with. If you could offer a little more about the situation, perhaps I could be of more help.

Karl
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.. its easy...

Using Acrobat (not Reader, the full version), I browse to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
& grab the page as a PDF & save it in my documentation folder on the network... there I have a nice repository of documents in PDF that I can access from any machine or print out. Very handy when working on a machine that can't be connected to the internet, to share docs with other users, etc... I'll grab articles to PDFs to share around the office, etc... its handy once you start using it...

Yea, the PDF looks like a web page.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you use KDE's print dialog for this? It can save directly to PDF. For example, in Konqueror, goto Location->Print.. instead of selecting the printer name, select Print to File (PDF)

GNOME probably has something similiar, if you use that.
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I guess the quick answer is that there is no "similar" way to do it, which is fine...

The nice thing is that it opened the page in Acrobat, but then you could click links in the page (in Acrobat) & have them added to the PDF... it really is a neat feature. Oh well, guess I'll either have to live without it or see if I can get Acrobat running under wine....
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good for v5.0 (that's what you have, I presume, I don't think the URL grabbing feature was available before): all thumbs are up at the WineHQ application database
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps2pdf is from ghostscript

Adobe Acrobat 5 is not Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.

Speaking of which, for some strange reason, they have Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 for Linux...
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did get Acrobat working under wine.. everything but the web capture 8O

Yea, they have reader for linux, but IMHO KGhostView works much better... and prettier :)
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, printing to PostScript or PDF from a browser is more convenient since one doesn't have to use a different app to do it. To each his own, I guess.
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green sun wrote:

I would venture a guess that Acrobat's web capture uses Internet Explorer, and that it's crashing because it can't find the IE DLL and Adobe didn't bother to put error handling there because "everyone has Internet Explorer". If you like to live dangerously, you could always try to install IE. :lol:

As I said, it's just a guess...
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will try to install various native DLLs that wine[x[-cvs]] will balk at...
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black wrote:
green sun wrote:

I would venture a guess that Acrobat's web capture uses Internet Explorer, and that it's crashing because it can't find the IE DLL and Adobe didn't bother to put error handling there because "everyone has Internet Explorer". If you like to live dangerously, you could always try to install IE. :lol:

As I said, it's just a guess...

I was thinking along these lines as well... I posted another question about installing wine using a win partion because of this... I wonder if I point wine to a Win2K partition if it would help? Would it then be able to find/use the IE dlls?
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish, you can try to install Internet Explorer under WINE.

Or, you could try some alternatives, like HTMLDOC or PDFprint. In any case, share your results. ;)
herbie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green sun wrote:
Sure.. its easy...

Using Acrobat (not Reader, the full version), I browse to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
& grab the page as a PDF & save it in my documentation folder on the network... there I have a nice repository of documents in PDF that I can access from any machine or print out. Very handy when working on a machine that can't be connected to the internet, to share docs with other users, etc... I'll grab articles to PDFs to share around the office, etc... its handy once you start using it...

Yea, the PDF looks like a web page.

Why not just mirror the web page locally in html format? That way you can browse the local files in any web-browser and follow the links just as if they were on the internet. You can do this easily with wget --mirror <url> (this will also download all images and other page prerequisites). I just see no reason to convert the files to pdf just so that you can store them in a local repository. You could even set up a web-server on a machine on your LAN to make viewing easier.

Herbie.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: