Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gnome2.2 : File-Roller calls crash Nautilus (w/ workaround)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Gnome2.2 : File-Roller calls crash Nautilus (w/ workaround) Reply with quote

I successfully emerged today Gnome 2.2 (from Gentoo stable) but I have some problems with FileRoller 2.2.1 (installed with Gnome 2.2) :

The Open function is working properly, but the Add to Archive, Extract Here and other functions (now present directly in the right-click menu of any archive, not in the Scripts submenu) don't work : first of all they are present in double (two "Extract here" options, two "Add to Archive", etc...) and when called, they crash Nautilus.

Furthermore, the "Add to Archive" function present in the right-click menu of any file is also present twice and crashes Nautilus.

Does someone else experience the same problems with FileRoller/Nautilus in Gnome 2.2 or does anyone know how to avoid it (maybe just how to reset the right-click menu functions) ?

Thanks in advance...

-K

Last edited by Koon on Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:01 am; edited 3 times in total
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is in there then you must have the script in two locations see if it is in ~/.scripts perhaps you have an older version in ~/.scripts which is incompatible with file-roller
[edit]nevermind[/edit]
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Escott wrote:
if it is in there then you must have the script in two locations see if it is in ~/.scripts perhaps you have an older version in ~/.scripts which is incompatible with file-roller

No, it's not the scripts, it's the bonobo component that has problems. Let me explain :

In Gnome 2.0.x, FileRoller integrated with Nautilus using Scripts. Now, with Gnome 2.2, FileRoller installs a Bonobo server with options to compress/uncompress directly in the Nautilus right-click menu and no longer through the Scripts. It's these options that seem installed twice and crash Nautilus.

So I think the problem is in Nautilus/Bonobo which registers the actions twice (and incorrectly, since it crashes Nautilus when you invoke them).

Any hints ?
-K
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's related to the use of a FR locale.

I solved it by editing the file :

/usr/lib/bonobo/servers/File_Roller_Component.server

and removing all lines containing -fr message translations.

Now I have only one item of each action, written in plain english, and it works correctly.

-K
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: