View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glober
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: No Characters in KDE Reply with quote

So here I was running Kde 3.0.4 with no problems, and I decided to upgrade to 3.1. I did a "emerge kde", and 36 plus hours later the compiling was finished. To note, I did the emerge running under Kde 3.0.4, and I did notice the problem under 3.0.4 even before the compile was finished. The problem being that if i opened a Kde application all characters in the menus and buttons were all squares. I thought that maybe it was normal due to the new 3.1 install. After 3.1 finished emerging I rebooted into 3.1 only to see the same problem, all characters in the menus, submenus, and buttons were squares. I then rebooted into Gnome and found no problems there. I then decided to unmerge Kde 3.0.4 to see if that would fix things. No go. I booted up with 3.1 and had the same problem. I then decided to unmerge Kde 3.1, deleted all kde related folders in the user directories, emerged Kde 3.1 again. After 36 plus hours again, I booted into 3.1, and found the look a little different, I think what they call the ceramik look, but the problem was still there, although a little different in that all the characters were all horizontal lines ( maybe underline characters ) and not square characters. To note again, Gnome has no problem. Running a Kde application from Gnome shows the problem in the Kde application. Running a non-Kde application like Mozilla from Kde shows no problem in Mozilla. Does anybody have a clue why this is happening?

Any help would be appreciated

markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my machine KDE3.1 worked OK until I emerged XFree86 4.2.99.4, then all text disappeared. The KDM login screen and plain X+twm are still working.
bonito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerging qt again...I had the same problem when I upgraded xfree86 after already having 3.1rc6 on my machine. I came on here and was told to do that and had no problems thereafter.
glober
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonito wrote:
Try emerging qt again...I had the same problem when I upgraded xfree86 after already having 3.1rc6 on my machine. I came on here and was told to do that and had no problems thereafter.

I tried emerging qt again, to the current version, the version being 3.1.0-r3, same as what was on my system already, and it made no difference, still have the problem.
bonito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know how to help you than...I usually have a problem and just fiddle with it and ask around and search and search until I find what works...I mean it could be a lot of different things, old builds of 3.0.4 on your system causing dependancy problems or anything...I am just shooting in the dark here, but I know that the combination works for me %100 so its something where if you have time and patience and have given up on what to do you can just remove all x related components and start fresh...letting the computer sit for 6 nights compiling is always lots of fun :?
bonito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know how to help you than...I usually have a problem and just fiddle with it and ask around and search and search until I find what works...I mean it could be a lot of different things, old builds of 3.0.4 on your system causing dependancy problems or anything...I am just shooting in the dark here, but I know that the combination works for me %100 so its something where if you have time and patience and have given up on what to do you can just remove all x related components and start fresh...letting the computer sit for 6 nights compiling is always lots of fun :?
Kezza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we're all shooting in the dark, then I will find my trusty revolver...

1. you may have a strange local setting ($LANG). Try xfontsel to see if all fonts are like this. Setting the Fonts to Default in the Control Centre may be an option.

2. since it is only in KDE, you may try looking at your locale settings (Control Centre / Regional & Accessibility / Country/Region & Language)

It's not much to go on; I hope it helps. Cheers.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: I had this same problem, here's what I found: Reply with quote

Does root have all characters displaying in all fonts? That was the case for me. Turns out the permissions on all my fonts had been set so that only root had any rights to them at all. I just fixed the permissions, and those nasty rectangles went away.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
tyreth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the answer is to be found in upgrading xfree86?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14794
glober
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markkuk wrote:
On my machine KDE3.1 worked OK until I emerged XFree86 4.2.99.4, then all text disappeared. The KDM login screen and plain X+twm are still working.

tyreth wrote:
Perhaps the answer is to be found in upgrading xfree86?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14794

Contrary to what the above message implies that XFree 4.2.99.4 causes the problem, I decided upgrade my XFree from 4.2.1 to 4.2.99.4 to see what would happen.
After having problems running out of disk space doing the upgrade, I did some housekeeping on the disk and decided unmerge 4.2.1 first and then emerge 4.2.99.4 as new.
After rebooting, the problem is gone. No more lost characters!

Just as an observation upgrading versions and running under X seems to take much more time than installing from scratch and running in a console. Upgrading was taking 2 days plus, at which point my system froze, probably because mozilla froze. To note, the upgrade was running under gnome. When I was Installing as New, I was doing it in a non-gui console, and the total emerge was about 5 hours. ( K6/2-400, 320MB )

KDE 3.1 sure looks nice.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: