Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
is it risky to emerge 2 different things at the same time?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
febisfebi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: is it risky to emerge 2 different things at the same time? Reply with quote

is it risky to emerge 2 different things at the same time? I was just wondering, because there are many times when i am compiling something that is gonna take a while, and i also want to install something else. would this mess up if they had the same dependencies or does portage take care of that?
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i would also like to know.

unfortunately the portage manual doesn't state.

i think as long as the two (or more) emerges don't share any requirements it should work.
but i would hate to see two instances of X being compiled side by side cause i did a emerge kde / emerge gnome :D
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you wouldn't get two instances of X. Portage compiles the source and builds it into a directory structure inside /tmp. When everthing is done, Portage moves the directory structure from /tmp to /. So you would only have one instance of X because the first instance would be overwritten. However, you will be wasting resources compiling both instances of X at once (as Flake noted).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
geburns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks:

afaik, it's not a problem emerging a number of packages at a time. i do it all the time. it would be a good idea to make sure the dependencies are met or at least not going to clobber or race one another. i was emerging gimp, cups and mozilla on different threads, other than a load average higher that 5, i really didn't have any issues.

-g
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately okay to do it. I just finished an 8 hour emerge session, in which I emerged about 50 different packages. Worked flawlessly. Portage is truly a great system.
slik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: is it risky to emerge 2 different things at the same tim Reply with quote

febisfebi wrote:
is it risky to emerge 2 different things at the same time?

It can be. I've had emerge stop building something when trying to emerge something else. Happens rarely though.
cfrogjump
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged mozilla, gimp, and gnome at the same time. no problems at all.
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done this in the past without any issues.... i guess the question is whether there are packages that are duplicates in the merge lists of each of the "target" packages you want to emerge (when you --pretend the two packages)

did that make *any* sense to anybody?

-S
Jeevz
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niyogi wrote:
did that make *any* sense to anybody?

Yup, made sense to me. I also wonder what would happen.
hbbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Worked also Reply with quote

cfrogjump wrote:
I emerged mozilla, gimp, and gnome at the same time. no problems at all.

I was also wondering about it, tried many "small things" like wmapplets during an emerge gnumeric and it worked fine. So, I made bigger emerge together and it sill went fine.
I just wonder what would happen if both emerge have to merge package at the same time, when writing i.e. files list to its db ?
jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geburns wrote:
folks:

afaik, it's not a problem emerging a number of packages at a time. i do it all the time. it would be a good idea to make sure the dependencies are met or at least not going to clobber or race one another. i was emerging gimp, cups and mozilla on different threads, other than a load average higher that 5, i really didn't have any issues.

-g

So, on the topic of "...a good idea to [check for and avoid dependency overlap]", do we need to do this? It sounds like most people say no, but geburns says its at least a good idea to do it. I think I was trying to install two things that both tried to get X working and then may have stepped on each other -- I saw many "file not found"-like errors as the build plowed by.

So, I'm still unsure.
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... Are you running more than one copy of emerge at once? I wouldn't recommend that. In fact, it probably slows down the whole process. If you want to emerge more than one thing, do it in the same statement. Example:
Code:
emerge gnome mozilla gimp

This will figure out all their dependencies, and merge them as necessary. If some of them overlap, it realizes it, and only builds what it needs once.
hbbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utoxin wrote:
Wait... Are you running more than one copy of emerge at once? I wouldn't recommend that. In fact, it probably slows down the whole process. If you want to emerge more than one thing, do it in the same statement.

we won't do it again... it's just we wanted some little things immediatly while compiling kde/gnome/mozilla/whatever takes forever :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: