Ultra 5 HDD Size problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actuator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Ultra 5 HDD Size problem Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying my first install of Gentoo on my ULTRA 5. I have a 40gb hdd, but I only seem to be able to create partitions roughly 9gb of it.

Is this a known problem with workaround/solution?

Thanks
toyz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my first install on my Ultra 5 (freebie from a friend). I've got a 80GB IBM Deathstar on it. Seems to work fine.

After you boot from the CD, you might try "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda" assuming you don't care if your hd data is gone. (I don't let it go for more than about 10 seconds) Then fdisk and make sure it's Sun disk label by typing "s" in fdisk. Might help.
Actuator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toyz wrote:
I just did my first install on my Ultra 5 (freebie from a friend). I've got a 80GB IBM Deathstar on it. Seems to work fine.

After you boot from the CD, you might try "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda" assuming you don't care if your hd data is gone. (I don't let it go for more than about 10 seconds) Then fdisk and make sure it's Sun disk label by typing "s" in fdisk. Might help.

Hi, did you enter your disk paramaters into fdisk or accept the defaults? I cant find the actual specs of my disk online which could be causing the problems. It seems that around 13000 cylinders is the max you can have.
toyz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I looked at it as a "pc partition table". Then I switched it with the "s". The defaults for the Sun disk label were the same as the pc partition table settings, so the defaults looked good to me. Also, the only thing I changed was the speed to 7200rpm - I doubt this really matters.
Actuator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I fdisk -I it does report it as 40gb and lists the cylinders but when I create partitions the entire 40gb is definately not available.

Maybe its a problem with my disk.
toyz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds weird.

After I did the "custom" thing and then took the defaults, it gave me basically the whole disk. There were like 2 cylinders that it reserved or something. Then after that I had 3 partitions. 1 and 2 were swap and native, 3 was whole disk. I deleted 1 and 2 and partitioned to my liking, leaving 3 alone cuz its special.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuator, have you updated your OBP to the latest version?
DeadlyMuffin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds kinda silly, but I had the same problem with a couple disks (some worked just fine...) and this is how I was able to do it:

go to ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/sparc64/cd36.iso (I think when I did it I used 3.5, but I don't see why 3.6 shouldn't work) it's a tiny image, 4 megs or so. Burn it, and boot from it. Go through the initial install process, and use it to partition your disk. The interface is a bit of a pain, but you should be able to get through it. Once you've partitioned it, boot off your gentoo live CD again, format the partitions, and go on to whatever you're doing next.

Some hard drives just work, some don't. I tried entering the physical specs for each drive, and still they often didn't work. Using OpenBSD has worked every time I've done it, which is probably 4 or 5 times at this point. Hope it works for you.
riposte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with robbyjo - first check that you have the most up-to-date openboot prom.
There is a link from here if you are not sure where to find it:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U5/U5.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: