Why put linux on a PDA?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curious_bob
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Why put linux on a PDA? Reply with quote

What are the advantages of installing linux on a pda instead of running some other OS?

The Black Vault The Largest Online Military and Government Research Center
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it "identical to the advantages of running linux on a mac instead of some other OS" isn't the answer you are hoping for?

Why are you asking in this section, anyway? I am unaware of any PowerPC PDAs...
curious_bob
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for more pros/cons from PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Linux.

stimuli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as an example, ssh runs on linux, but probably not on Windows mobile or Palm OS...

But really, wtf are you asking this in a PPC forum for? Thus forums is for Mac and PPC related questions. Try a more general forum.
curious_bob
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry about that, at first glance i thought PPC was PocketPC.

Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, maybe a mod will move this like they moved mine when I posted in the wrong forum. :D

I own a Zaurus 5600 (linux PDA sold by Sharp). It is great! Besides doing all the normal things that pdas do (address book, calender, email...), I can also plug in my wifi card and use kismet to search for hotspots. I have Xmms on it to listen internet radio stations, it has the opera web browser to surf the web; and it scales pretty well. There are just too many things I could do with it to list here. VNC server/viewer, enable swap files for more memory (though, that kills flash memory faster), many Japanese language tools for school -- all on this little computer in my pocket. I could even develope on it if I wanted to but that is not something im fluent with yet. It also has mplayer to play movies. I watched the whole series of haibane Renmei on this little thing.

OH, and it has gaim on it so I can chat with friends wherever there is a hotspot!

Why NOT put linux on a PDA?
aronchi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Linux on a Palm you can use all the software that runs on linux, use all the linux sdk and libraries, use a linux desktop to develop and test your applications. With other proprietary OS you are often forced to use the proprietary sdk, pay licenses and you must port the software you've already on C source files.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why put linux on a PDA?

Because I can!
shi^Yo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being lasy to move over your computer deskm or even having a TRUE pocket pc with you all the times. Here are things that u will enjoy while having linux on your iPaq:

1) ssh to your server with a mini terminal
2) surf the web (javascript on PocketIE sucks)
3) remote control xmms on ur server,
4) remote control your server using VLC
5) play audio and video (xine) on your device with all codecs supported (ever managed to put mpeg, divx, xvid on PocketPC?)
6) wireless sniffing, nmpa kissmet wherever u r.
7) port ANY linux application to ur pocket pc without waiting for pocket version to be ported (case for gpe, well sort of).
8) enjoy a packet manager (ipkg debian) to install yours programs.
9) FREE SOFTWARE, have you noticed how each pocket pc extra application is being (over)priced???

PIM programs are also there if you need them, but I find myself being one of those who never managed to work with PIM on regular base and keep update calendars, notes etc on the pocket pc. So, I have moved my iPaq 5450 from PIM Assistant to fully functional pc that fits in my pocket. It's a total waste of holding such power processor for managing just ur appointments and notes. Unleash its full throttle. If you are the proud owner of an iPaq then i suggest u should stop wasting time and port linux to it with 4-5 easy steps mentioned on how to's and wiki at http://familiar.handhelds.org/releases/v0.8.0/install/ .

Precompiled ready distros are not so bad when talking about embedded systems, when they can guarantee you that everything will be functional without tampering around.

Hope, I 've gave you enough reasons to move to linux on iPaq.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: