Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Using an IntelliMouse Explorer with a glide pad?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitheach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Using an IntelliMouse Explorer with a glide pad? Reply with quote

Hi,

I sucessfully installed Gentoo on my Toshiba 3000-514 and all works like a charm. Even smoother then with Debian or any other Linux distro I used on it during the last year or so. But something what I have not yet solved, and haven't been able to solve during the last year is:

Can I configure X in such a way, that as soon as my external USB Mouse is installed, I only have this pointer and without it I only have the glide pad? Well, I am accustomed to typing on my laptop, but sadly if I have both configured I tend to move the mouse cursor around with my thumb. :D Or even stranger things happen.

Any solution? Sorry, if this is a FAQ, but even so I am a long time linux user and admin, I have always been in a constant fight with X and its config files. :D Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Oliver
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Using an IntelliMouse Explorer with a glide pad? Reply with quote

fitheach wrote:
Can I configure X in such a way, that as soon as my external USB Mouse is installed, I only have this pointer and without it I only have the glide pad? Well, I am accustomed to typing on my laptop, but sadly if I have both configured I tend to move the mouse cursor around with my thumb. :D Or even stranger things happen.
I don't think X can change pointers while it's running.

One way I can think of that you could do this (although I don't know exactly how) would be with devfsd hacking: rename or remove the mouse device whenever the USB mouse is connected.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write a hotplug script. sys-apps/hotplug

You'll need to know the device and vendor ID of your USB devices.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: