sparc station 10 install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: sparc station 10 install Reply with quote

I just did an install on a sparc station 10, using netboot and a 2004.2 stage three. I used a portage tree from an old livecd I had lying around since last fall.

I read in the handbook that sparc32 is no longer supported. Does this mean that if I do an `emerge sync`, it will fail and/or mess up the system that I have installed?

My make.profile is currently symlinked to /usr/portage/profiles/default-sparc-2004.0.
rsala
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here's what I found:

`emerge sync` repeatedly led to the io.c errors that everyone is complaining about, so I copied a recently sync'd portage tree from another machine, and then did a successful `emerge sync` -- I probably only needed to `emerge metadata`.

I was then informed to update my make.profile, but when I did, I got the infamous `str`... error when I ran `emerge system -pv`. So I linked back to my old profile, emerged portage, ran `etc-update`, and then updated my make.profile. This time it was successful. I'm now running `emerge metadata` (because I'm paranoid) and then I plan to try an `emerge -u world`.

Since I haven't set my flags in make.conf yet, does anyone have any reasonable suggestions? The label on the front reads "SPARC station 10", uname lists as sun4m, and /proc/cpuinfo referenced it as a supersparc.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-mcpu=v8 -O2 -pipe would probably be safe. Depending on whether you have supersparc or hypersparc processors, you could change -mcpu=v8 to -mcpu=supersparc or -mcpu=hypersparc.

About sparc32 being unsupported, currently there are issues with the kernel and possibly other elements in the core system that make it hard to support at this time. Most things will probably work to some degree, but chances are you'll end up running into problems emerging some packages (perl for example).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: