lm_sensors and via kt133 chipset
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: lm_sensors and via kt133 chipset Reply with quote

Hi,

I've emerged lmsensors, configured it with sensors-detect, and loaded all the kernel modules with the lm_sensors script in /etc/init.d.

I've got six temperture readings, 3 for something called via686-isa-e200 and 3 others for something called as99127f-i2c-0-2d. Now, I have no idea what these things are, though I can find them in /proc. I'm mostly interested in monitoring my cpu temps, but none of the temperture readings come close to what my bios says they are. On a reboot my bios typically reports that my cpu temp is around 57 degrees centigrade. lm_sensors reports nothing even close to that.

I guess I've really got two questions: Can the kt133 chipset report a cpu temperture to lm_sensors and, if so, how do I determine which sensor is for my cpu?

Thanks,

Seth
mr_neutron
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar problem with lm_sensors detecting several sensor chips I don't really have (via kt133 board). This way I got lots of bogus Sensor values (about 20), but in the BIOS I had only 9 (CPU temp., SYS temp., CPU fan, SYS fan, V_core, V_dd, +3.3V, +5V, +12V)
After some googling and trial & error I found the following configuration working:

loaded modules:
i2c-core
i2c-dev
i2c-proc
i2c-isa
via686a

possibly you also have to tweak your /etc/sensors.conf (the"via686a-*" section) to get the labels right (I had SYS and CPU temp. swapped).

One more thing: Avoid running sensors as root! I read somwhere that this could cause sensors to set the ALARM settings to incorrect values, so that the PC would not boot anymore because the initial CPU temp. was always above the alarm value. When run as user, senors cannot set Alarm settings.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at my sensors.conf.

Seth

mr_neutron wrote:
I've had a similar problem with lm_sensors detecting several sensor chips I don't really have (via kt133 board). This way I got lots of bogus Sensor values (about 20), but in the BIOS I had only 9 (CPU temp., SYS temp., CPU fan, SYS fan, V_core, V_dd, +3.3V, +5V, +12V)
After some googling and trial & error I found the following configuration working:

loaded modules:
i2c-core
i2c-dev
i2c-proc
i2c-isa
via686a

possibly you also have to tweak your /etc/sensors.conf (the"via686a-*" section) to get the labels right (I had SYS and CPU temp. swapped).

One more thing: Avoid running sensors as root! I read somwhere that this could cause sensors to set the ALARM settings to incorrect values, so that the PC would not boot anymore because the initial CPU temp. was always above the alarm value. When run as user, senors cannot set Alarm settings.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT133 is the Northbridge of your chipset.
Sensors function via the Southbridge, probably a VIA 686a or b.
For my 686b, I need;
modprobe i2c-viapro
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe via686a

for correct readings (correct means: identical to the ones I read from the BIOS).

mr_neutron probably has the right setting for a via686a southbridge.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:
KT133 is the Northbridge of your chipset.
Sensors function via the Southbridge, probably a VIA 686a or b.
For my 686b, I need;
modprobe i2c-viapro
modprobe i2c-isa
modprobe via686a

for correct readings (correct means: identical to the ones I read from the BIOS).

mr_neutron probably has the right setting for a via686a southbridge.

Thanks, but you lost me at the Northbridge/Southbridge business. Should I just load the i2c-viapro, i2c-isa, and via686a modules? And if via686a doesn't do the trick should I try via686b?

Thanks again,

Seth
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT133 is just one chip from a chipSET.
The command "sensors-detect" will probably tell you which modules you need for your motherbooard, and my guess is it's either mr_neutron's config, or mine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: