not that great with networking...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: not that great with networking... Reply with quote

I'm almost sure this is a dep, but searching the forums doesnt help me, casue I dont know exactly what to search for, so please bear with me on this one...

In order to get the inet to work on my gentoo install I had to set the following strings:

iface_eth0="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX broadcast XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask XXX.XXX.XXX.X"
and
gateway="eth0/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

Now I dont know what all these mean except the first one which is my IP adress, but it wouldnt work without all of them there.

I originally got these numbers by looking at my dual boot windows winipcfg screen. (it assigned all of these automatically...

Now here is where my real problem starts. I am converting a Red Hat 7.3 box of mine into a Gentoo box, but I can only find the numbers for the iface string above. (I get these from ifconfig) I cant seem to find the gateway info anywhere.

Redhat doesnt seem, to have a /etc/conf.d/net file like gentoo does, (heck it doesnt even have the /etc/conf.d dir)

Anyone have any clue on how I can find out what the default gateway is?

Thanks,
Matt
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you connect to the internet? Is it via another computer? If it is, then you are using a gateway, thus you need to get it's IP address and put it in there.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy method:
just specify the IP adress and let ifconfig sort out the defaults
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackBart wrote:
easy method:
just specify the IP adress and let ifconfig sort out the defaults

Hah! I knew there had to be an easier method...

to do that, do I just set:

iface_eth0="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" ?

thanks,
Matt
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a working Windows setup that can access the net, you can find out your gateway address by typing "ipconfig" at a command prompt.
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: not that great with networking... Reply with quote

Zarathustra[H] wrote:

Now here is where my real problem starts. I am converting a Red Hat 7.3 box of mine into a Gentoo box, but I can only find the numbers for the iface string above. (I get these from ifconfig) I cant seem to find the gateway info anywhere.

Redhat doesnt seem, to have a /etc/conf.d/net file like gentoo does, (heck it doesnt even have the /etc/conf.d dir)

Anyone have any clue on how I can find out what the default gateway is?

Redhat has /etc/sysconfig/ instead of /etc/conf.d/ The info you want is in one of two places in Redhat 7.3

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (assuming your main interface is eth0)
/etc/sysconfig/network

Check those two files and they should tell you what you need to know.

kashani
krt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: not that great with networking... Reply with quote

Zarathustra[H] wrote:
I'm almost sure this is a dep, but searching the forums doesnt help me, casue I dont know exactly what to search for, so please bear with me on this one...

In order to get the inet to work on my gentoo install I had to set the following strings:

iface_eth0="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX broadcast XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask XXX.XXX.XXX.X"
and
gateway="eth0/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

Now I dont know what all these mean except the first one which is my IP adress, but it wouldnt work without all of them there.

I originally got these numbers by looking at my dual boot windows winipcfg screen. (it assigned all of these automatically...

Matt

If windows received them automatically, so can Linux. Try running dhcpcd, like so:

Code:

dhcpcd eth0

You should see your interface configure automaticatlly (if you have a linksys or some other router, i.e. gateway, its most likely running a dhcp server too)

If you want this to occur on bootup automatically, just edit /etc/conf.d/net such that the only line not commented out is iface_eth0="dhcp"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: