GentooBSD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: GentooBSD Reply with quote

Is this project alive or I just dreamed it? I don't remeber have I read it really or just discussed it with someone it would be nice to have portage on BSD. If it does work, when can we expect the beta release? Thanx
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have been wanting a BSD kernel with a linux userland long before gentoo ... if only ....
JeffW_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD has ports, why not use that?
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the freebsd ports system is ... limited...
the frequent problem I've had with it, and the reason I use gentoo, is that things in ports have little version control over stable and unstable versions the way portage handles "sparc" and "~sparc" for example... as a result, things in BSD ports often fail to compile, and there is no "easy" way to build a slightly older, but known-working, version of the port ...

also, some of the untweaked raw-source "ports" in bsd-ports (quake comes to mind) have never built reliably....

the way I see it, portage vs bsd-ports has the following advantage:

# good version control with stable vs unstable
# good ability to store "builds" (ebuilds, makefiles, whatever) for multiple versions of the same package
# emerge -pv
# puts things in the same place, compared to how bsd-ports often puts things in a different place than the system would/does if you install the same app as a binary package ... interesting conflicts arise this way...

whereas bsd-ports has the following advantages over portage:

#better selection of "niche" server applications

... keep in mind that I started my *nix experience with FreeBSD, still use it on a daily basis, and trust it more than linux for heavy server use.. but I really find linux much easier to work with on a regular basis. If its a machine I know I wont need to update more than once per year, it goes to BSD .. if its something that im going to have to maintain/upgrade/whatever weekly, then its Gentoo all the way.
MaxPolun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gentoo/bsd is experimental right now, but being worked on. Something about a #gentoo-bsd irc channel? I don't know. look around, I think you can install it right now if you want.

The Real OTW: time to do some good
Boinky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: I'm trying to use portage on FreeBSD 5.3 Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm not quite sure where to post this but I installed portage on FreeBSD 5.3 and that went well. Installing a minimal FreeBSD system is very easy after having performed several stage 1 Gentoo installations ;-).

On FreeBSD I can emerge sync and that's about it. Whenever I try to compile something I get:

!!! Digest verification Failed:
!!! /usr/portage/distfiles/freebsd-sources-5.3.tar.bz2
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size

I read that whenever an ebuild points to FreeBSD kernel sources (that do not exist) the ebuild should be patched to point to /usr/src/sys. But I don't know how to do that ;-).

Cheers,

Robert
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: