586 (pentium 200) freezes during 'emerge system' - I AM DUMB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: 586 (pentium 200) freezes during 'emerge system' - I AM DUMB Reply with quote

Was installing on a P200. Things were going well and I ran 'emerge system'. Knowing it was going to take a while, I moved the monitor to another box I was doing stuff on. That was last night.

This morning I put the monitor back on the gentoo box and get nothing on the display. I hit a bunch of keys thinking it was the anti-burn stuff, but no dice. It appears as the the box was frozen sometime during the 'emerge system'.

My question is: do I have to re-do ALL of the steps from the instructions? The bootstrap took forever! Just wondering if there is something I can do to get right back to where I am. And I'll be leaving the monitor on this time so I can see where it's at.

Any advice would be great.

Last edited by rizzo on Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
pr0vidence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you set up your x86 architecture (sp) in /etc/make.conf?

tward the bottom there are sets of three commented lines each stating with CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. I think the default is like P2/P3/P4 processors. Just comment the default and un-comment the ones that are right for your processor. I had those same problems building the system when I forgot to set the right flags for my p-233, box would just hang mid-compile.

Don't know if that is your problem but I thought I would at least mention it. I don't know if you have to start the whole process over again, but if you were using the wrong architecture (sp again :) ) I would.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did do that. If I didn't the bootstrap probably would have failed long before I even got around to 'emerge system'.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also take extra care in setting up a large swap partition, especially when you are low on memory. Could also be one of the reasons. Also make sure that all ACPI stuff and Energy-saver options in the bios are disabled.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 64mb RAM and set up a 128mb swap partition. Should I use more?

Looks like I'll be starting over either way. I'll check that BIOS stuff then too.

*sigh*
pr0vidence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my box has 64, I set up a 250-300MB swap.

Try it with more, it can't hurt, right? :)
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your bootstarp ok? If so try emerge -n system and that way it wont redo anthing it might have done already. Hey it took my OC166 smokin out @200, 64megs about 4 days maybee 5. sigh try getting links or lynx and you at least geet out on the net. Oh yes use the gentoo-sources for linux as they have pre-emptive and low latency patchs which make pentiums a lot more responceive. Think of all the reading and Buffy episodes you can catch up on.

Hiel 8O
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the bootstrap went alright.

I'm wondering if I reboot will I have to redo everything? Is there even a bootable system on the disk yet? Otherwise won't I have no recourse but to follow the setup instructions from the beginning again?

I don't really understand all that chroot stuff and the mounting stuff in /mnt/gentoo.

I guess I'll reboot without the CD and see what it does.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: I am a total moron. Reply with quote

Please forgive me and hold back your laughter until I've left the room.

Well I got home from work tonight and thought I'd just reboot and start over. I hit the keyboard a couple times, same result as this morning: screen still blank. So I sigh heavily and hit the "reset" button on the box. The box restarts, I hit the "delete" key to go into the BIOS setup, but the computer doesn't respond. I look at the keyboard and then I realize that I am the biggest retard in the world.

Flashback to last night: As I said, after I started the "emerge system", I swapped monitors to look at the other computer. I also put the keyboard for the gentoo computer on the side of the desk and put the keyboard for the other computer on the desk top. So this morning I switched the monitor back but ... YOU GUESSED IT ... was using the keyboard plugged into my other computer.

Unfortunately for me I realized this 10 seconds too late and am starting over anyway. So I don't really know of the emerge system froze, but I'll say I doubt it and that it was probably still faithfully chugging along when I pulled the plug.

Sorry to waste everyone's time, and hope I at least give you a chuckle at my misfortunes. Thanks for laughing at my emotional scar. :oops:
james
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: I am a total moron. Reply with quote

rizzo wrote:
Please forgive me and hold back your laughter until I've left the room.[b]

I did that too. My only thing was I was building two Gentoo's at the same time with two identical keyboards;-)
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god *covering face*

I've done somehting similar but it was while I was installing Debian on my sparc and I was coding on my Intel Debian machine. I went out for coffee in the kitchen, came back and wondered why my x session wouldn't respond and banged on the keyboard....
finally just hit ctrl-alt-delete. (why? don't ask me.. if I was thinking right, I would have hit ctrl-alt-backspace instead... or not at all)

now you'd THINK the way a sparc keyboard is layed out would have made me think twice.

ugh... we all do stupid things when our brains aren't engaged.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: