View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: MS Office 2000, wine and Gentoo Reply with quote

Searched the google and the forum, but to no avail...

I need exhell for some old files I need to work on and don't want to install windows .... So I thought I might take a sip of wine.

So, I'm trying to install MS office (or parts thereof) with the help of WINE. This seems to start off well, as the installation program starts up and I can proceed right up to the moment where it would start copying files, but the it bails out with an error 2761. When googling for that one I find:
Code:

Cannot begin transaction. Global mutex not properly initialized.

Surely that doesn't mean a lot to me and it is an office error rather than a wine error, when you look at it in the first instant. It must be related to wine however, because this CD installs fine under windows.

I tried with both the x86 latest wine and the ~x86 latest wine and they both have the same error. I set wine up with the latest winesetuptk, wich produce a working config before.

Maybe someone had this before, and managed to fix it. I'd be glad to hear it.

Aard
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading once that to install Office 2000 under wine you need to omit the Internet Explorer and Office Assistant manually by selecting a custom installation and then explicitly avoiding those two packages. Your error really doesn't mean anything to me either but you might give this a shot. In the meantime I will try to find the resource that I am (hopefully accurately) quoting.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
olivierweb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post the way you try to solve this problem ?
Because at work we 're lookin for replace windows partition by a "fake_windows". This is the last problem before removing MSWin from the PC of the station.
Actually, we (linux users) use codeweaverwine and a win98 partition. Office 2000 work fine (and faster than under win98), except for the print.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I deleted the .wine dir again and just executed wine in a console. It created its own config and fake_win then and after that the install went past the previous showstopper. Now I CAN get word and excel to run, but there are still some problems like wine throwing up when I try to use macros. I look further into it...
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MS Office 2000, wine and Gentoo Reply with quote

aardvark wrote:
I need exhell for some old files I need to work on and don't want to install windows ....

Doesn't OpenOffice do the job?
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: MS Office 2000, wine and Gentoo Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
aardvark wrote:
I need exhell for some old files I need to work on and don't want to install windows ....

Doesn't OpenOffice do the job?

They contain macro's that I need :)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using vanilla-sources? I had some problems with memory management and quicktime in other kernels (like wolk or gentoo-sources).
Digiman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of using wine. There is a company called Codeweavers that has a wine-like application called CrossOver Office that will allow you to use MS Office 2000 to it's fullest potential. Will cost you about $55 dollars though. The site is www.codeweavers.com.

-- Digiman
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digiman wrote:
Instead of using wine. There is a company called Codeweavers that has a wine-like application called CrossOver Office that will allow you to use MS Office 2000 to it's fullest potential. Will cost you about $55 dollars though. The site is www.codeweavers.com.

-- Digiman

Yep I know about that. I was just wondering how it could me made to work under wine... Still digging and having already setup up a windows partion.....
olivierweb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my problem too. How to run Office without a Windows partition ?

I'll try to copy a base config of Win into my partition. Maybe this is an idea.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest checking the Apps Wine site and espescially this thread on their webboard.

It does seem to be several issues with running Office under Wine.

Erik
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here check this out:

http://frankscorner.org/wine/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=30&page=1

I have Word, Excel, and Powerpoint pretty much completely working (minus printing). The only quirk is that I can only open files by typing them on the command line, which is no prob. By this I mean that I have to:
Code:
wine winword.exe doc_to_open.doc

If I try to open a file inside the application I get an error.

Hope this helps. If you want to see my config file I can pm it or just post it here.
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tried to install just Word. Unfortunately, when I open a .doc file, Word hangs. Not just once, but every time I try...
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmfin wrote:
Here check this out:

http://frankscorner.org/wine/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=30&page=1

Thanks for posting this link!! This is the resource I have been looking for that I quoted (sort of) above. Thanks again I was going crazy trying to find this!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA: This happens with me too, to get around this open the file from the command line.
Code:
wine winword.exe /path/to/doc
meekrob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Office 2000 under Gentoo Reply with quote

This thread may be dead already, but I linked in from the Gentoo newsletter.

I've got Word, Excel and Powerpoint 2000 running using wine, and the process is very simple if you use the latest version of wine from CVS! Wine development is still moving at a rapid pace so the ebuild is already way out of date.

The only thing that doesn't work to well is clip art, and clippy - the 'innovative' Office Assistant. Clippy will actually crash Office under wine, simply DON'T INSTALL IT.

Other than that I have been using word for quite some time, it's good stable and somewhat reliable. However, make like you are playing Zork on a C64 and save your work constantly. Sometimes word will crash.

The installation goes really smooth, just remember two things:

1) DO use Wine from CVS
2) DON'T install the Office Assistant!

I also highly recommend the products from Crossover, this company has been supporting Wine development and the stuff works great.

I have some old screenshots of word running under gentoo here:

http://gentoo.mitosys.com

All the best,

meekrob
timmfin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to get rid of the windows install stuff that occurs every time I start word? Right now that happens for me and I have wine-20030115 installed. Its not a big deal, it just takes a few seconds, but I was just wondering if there were any easy solutions. Thanks.
meekrob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Office install Reply with quote

I haven't seen that issue (under linux).

The first thing I would try is rerunning the office install program. There are a couple of different things you can try; repairing reinstalling, uninstalling reinstalling.
Ygdrasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I made a small script that does the trick opening word docs in konqueror.
Code:

#!/bin/bash

FILE_NAME=`basename "$1"`
DIR_NAME=`dirname "$1"`
PROGRAM="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\winword.exe"
cd "$DIR_NAME"
wine "$PROGRAM" "$FILE_NAME"

This even works with kmail and mozilla mail. I have made several scripts like this for each Windows program I use through konqueror
AkiAki007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install Office via wine, but it complained about not having the installer program there, I probably had to do the mount -o unhide. But I only just saw that post. Instead I installed via winex, and it installed just fine, no glitches at all.

Now when I execute via winex the only problem I've noticed so far is that I the toolbars buttons are blank. When I move one toolbar to another location, or even just click on it as if I am going to, all the buttons appear with their proper images.

This isn't much of a problem for me since I don't use most of them and know all the key-shortcuts, but is there a reason why this happens? Is it because I'm using winex instead of wine?

My winex and wine are both default builds from portage.

I also haven't tried to save or open files as of yet. So that is not a concern yet.
moosesocks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got excel and powerpoint working under regular wine.

I had to do a little convincing to get it to work (do a custom install, don't install IE, outlook, or the office assistant. Also make sure that it's installed into c:\program files. For some reason, the installer wanted to put it into c:\windows\system\program files\...

In regard to the problems with saving and loading files, try one or both of the following;

1) In the wine config file (~/wine/config), change
"ole32" = "builtin, native"
to
"ole32" = "native, builtin"
(Didn't work for me. I'm going to experiment a bit more to see if I can get it to work)

2) apply this advice:
www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-users/2002/10/0081.html -- it means you have to do some hacking on the source code. In the source directry, open dlls/ole32/ole2stubs.c and find the WriteFmtUserTypeStg function. Modify it to return S_OK instead of E_NOTIMPL. Recompile and reinstall. Should this patch be added to portage? (Hasn't been tested by me, known to work for other people)

Finally, there is another, MUCH easier alternative (albeit annoying). Word will properly save and open anay file NOT in word (.doc or .dot) format.
jingo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moosesocks wrote:

1) In the wine config file (~/wine/config), change
"ole32" = "builtin, native"
to
"ole32" = "native, builtin"
(Didn't work for me. I'm going to experiment a bit more to see if I can get it to work)

just copy ole32.dll from your original win98 install. Solves the save issue.
I still have issues opening files and creating New documents. Have no clue about the "open file" issue.

Anyone got Office XP working?
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CossoverOffice from codeweavers is very good, and you're supporting a company that actively supports open source free software (wine to be specific.)

I have Outlook, Word, Excell, Internet Explorer, and Media Player (mplayer2, not wmplayer) working great under Codeweavers' version of wine and their installer. They also make it easy to associate files with office applications; you can double-click a word doc in KDE or Gnome and it opens word.

And, I have no windows partition or windows anywhere on the machine.

I'm sure you could get it working on your own with vanilla wine, but if you need it working now, CrossoverOffice is definately worth looking at.

ps. OfficeXP doesn't work in CrossoverOffice either. Fortunately, everything except some Outlook e-mail rules are compatible with XP/2000.
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the advantage of the commercial crossover wine over the wine sources that they (crossover) have on their website?
meekrob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Crossover Office Reply with quote

Quote:
what is the advantage of the commercial crossover wine over the wine sources that they (crossover) have on their website?

I think crossover office is a little easier to implement and comes w/ support. Plus there are specific libraries and tweaks to make Office/Visio/Quicken run a lot smoother.

Not to mention you are supporting a Wine developer.

I don't use crossover office but I do use the crossover plugin, it rocks.

check it out yourself:

http://www.codeweavers.com

Codeweavers will refund your money if you are not satisfied and my dealing with Jeremy have all been positive. It's nice to see a company w/ some integrity.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: