View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Anyone else using ICC? Reply with quote

Noticing that there was a newer version 7.0 of it, I downloaded intel's c compiler (icc) since there is a free version for non commercial use.

It took a little coaxing to install on my gentoo 2.4.20 based system, as it was obviously built for redhat 8.0. I think I ended up having to emerge rpmtools and converting the rpm to tgz, then extracting manually. From there pretty simple, just had to change the instances of <INSTALLDIR> in scripts from the bin directory to it's location...I installed to /opt/intel.

Since then I have been playing around with building things. My results in artificial tests have pretty much mirrorred those of others who tested. It can build some really fast code for P4s especially.

So far in terms of "regular use" I built libjpeg, gthumb, eog, freetype, and a few other things. Shared libraries are kind of a pain, as most builds use an internal libtool that is bugged. Look for a line that reads:

Code:
# How to pass a linker flag through the compiler.  wl=""

and replace it with

Code:
# How to pass a linker flag through the compiler.  wl="-Wl,"

if you find you can't build .so style libs. Other than that seems pretty straightforward, and I haven't found very many things at all it doesn't like about gcc code.

I did give up on making a kernel; there is too much code that is very obviously gcc exclusive in there. Although I built specific modules successfully and linked them with gcc to build a working kernel, I reverted afterwards, seemed too hackish.

I'm going to take a swing at something large and complex next and will post results, just wondering if anybody else is using this at all, and what success/failure they have had.
mario
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Why not... Reply with quote

Why not
emerge icc
?
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't my question, but the answer would be: Maybe because it's a version behind? That would be my first reason.

In it's current form I'm not sure 7.0 would ever be turned into an ebuild, because it requires an interactive EULA that generates a machine specific license file.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest ebuild is for icc 7.0:
Code:

emerge -p icc

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R  ] dev-lang/icc-7.0.065-r2

They emerge process asks you to go to the Intel website and obtain a license file prior to using icc.

Erik
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it got added after I did my build, wasn't there when I was looking...regardless good deal the license key thing got worked out, too bad it can't be automated, but end licenses are end licenses I guess.

So anyway, I'm trying to build mozilla now (I'm a glutton) and actually have made some progress, although I got hung up on a parsing error last night. Has anybody built anything LARGE with icc? I was going to do Fractint as an interesting benchmark app...
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any large builds yet. i did a few using 6.x, but i had to do a lot of thinkering with makefiles etc in order to get it to compile.

Sometimes the program built with it goes staright to a SIGSEGV. Oh well...

The programs I did build was smaller and faster than those with gcc. I would love to be able to build X and KDE with it.

Keep us posted on your experiments!

Erik
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use icc 7 quite a bit. QT also has a build flag you can pass to it, but unfortuantely it won't build if you don't have glibc 2.2.4 or 2.2.5 which icc was QA'd against.

I ran into that problem when trying to get KDE to build with it too, and didn't feel like downgrading my system back to 2.2.5. Also I've recently learned someone else more involved with KDE has been maintaining a patch to build KDE with it, so I gave up on that one.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of ebuilds setup to recognize "icc" and build with them, though most of the C source bases will work with it just fine IME.

Also strangely 6.0 is listed as the latest version on my system too, even though I've got 7.0 installed via the ebuild:

# emerge -p icc

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild UD] dev-lang/icc-6.0-r1 [7.0.065]

I s'pose thats because I'm running "stable" and the maintainer hasn't bothered to switch it.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks might be interested to know that after 1.4, ICC integration will be a little smoother (gcc-config will let you switch to an ICC profile and set CC/CXX/etc for you).

I'm the ICC maintainer - I plan to move 7.x to stable this weekend. Any of you had any problems with it?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a great improvement. I had no problems at all with ICC 7.x

Keep the good work

avenj wrote:
You folks might be interested to know that after 1.4, ICC integration will be a little smoother (gcc-config will let you switch to an ICC profile and set CC/CXX/etc for you).

I'm the ICC maintainer - I plan to move 7.x to stable this weekend. Any of you had any problems with it?

Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:

I've been using it for quite awhile and haven't had any problems, except for a few occasions where some things won't build with it like e.g. QT.

The kernel I'm running now was built with it as well, although it took a fair bit of coaxing to build. So, seems pretty stable to me.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages of using ICC over GCC?
Zadeh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icc has lower compilation times, and generates better code. It's a state-of-the-art optimizing compiler for IA32 and IA64.
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to build AbiWord with it at least, took approx. 5min with my ~XP2600+ (originally XP2400+).
mcrober2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely a very silly question, but I would like to use ifc (Fortran counterpart of icc). Just like w/ icc, if I emerge -p ifc, it reports that the 6.0 compiler is available. I know that ebuilds of 7.0 are available for both compilers, (for ifc, it is located at dev-lang/ifc/ifc-7.0.064) but I can't figure out how to emerge them.

How can I emerge them?

Thanks,
matt.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these were in the unstable (~arch) keywords setting previously. I bumped ICC to stable a couple days ago and IFC to stable today.
KBAKEP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: to avenj Reply with quote

I tried to emerge -u world today.
Before ifc I have rpm-4.0.4-r5 upgrade (it adds glibc-2.3.diff).
So, I didn't succeded:

gcc -c -I. -I../db/dist/../include -I../db/dist/../include_auto -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -pipe -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-char-subscripts -g -O2 ../db/dist/../db/db_upg.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/db_upg.lo
gcc -c -I. -I../db/dist/../include -I../db/dist/../include_auto -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -pipe -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-char-subscripts -g -O2 ../db/dist/../db/db_upg.c -o db_upg.o >/dev/null 2>&1
make[2]: *** [db_upg.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/rpm-4.0.4-r5/work/rpm-4.0.4/db3'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/rpm-4.0.4-r5/work/rpm-4.0.4'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-arch/rpm-4.0.4-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 44, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

May I skip rpm update? Or other advices...
habakke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Using gcc-config to configure icc Reply with quote

Hi, I have emerged icc and it installed properly, and added icc to the USE variable. But allmost none of the ebuilds I have emerged since uses the Intel Compiler. Does anyone know which ebuilds supports icc?

I also read earlier in this thread about gcc-config supporting icc? When I do a gcc-config --list-profiles, all I get is i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.2

Håvard Bakke
Norway
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly any of the ebuilds do currently.

gcc-config won't be ICC-capable until after the 1.4 release. All work on that is on hold until post-1.4.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: to avenj Reply with quote

KBAKEP wrote:
I tried to emerge -u world today.
Before ifc I have rpm-4.0.4-r5 upgrade (it adds glibc-2.3.diff).
So, I didn't succeded:

!!! ERROR: app-arch/rpm-4.0.4-r5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 44, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

May I skip rpm update? Or other advices...

If you already have rpm installed, you can do 'emerge --nodeps ifc' to avoid updating RPM.

If you don't have it installed, you need it. If it doesn't compile at all, check https://bugs.gentoo.org and see if there's an open bug about it (and file it if there isn't one).
KBAKEP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: to avenj Reply with quote

I've got rpm-4.0.4-r4 installed. The only difference between r5 and r4 is adding of glibc-2.3.diff. Is it critical?
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you're using glibc 2.3.2 (in the unstable tree currently).

You should probably report that as a bug anyway, if that patch is breaking compilation with older glibc versions.

Either way, you should be safe with --nodeps.
KBAKEP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: to avenj Reply with quote

Finally I succeeded in upgrading of rpm. :)

I've got another question.
There is a package root. I reported a new ebuild for the current version of it (bug #17393), but there is no answers. Is it usual practice?
An it capable to be compiled with icc. What should I add to the ebuild to provide CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in icc mode?
I mean a replacenment for the following line:
export GENTOO_CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" GENTOO_CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}"
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously (having started the thread) I've been using ICC for some time. I've found it very stable and reliable with the packages it can build. The trick is of course, getting something to build - it will be great to see more ebuilds support ICC automatically, which this is hopefully the start of.

The general issues I have had are convincing libtool that ICC can actually create a shared library (it can). Due to syntax quirks and the fact that many make systems incorporate built-in versions of libtool that are outdated, they often refuse to recognize icc can do this.

I've built various apps with it successfully. Right now my system runs some really fundamental pieces that are all ICC built - gzip, bzip2, fontconfig, the various image libraries. No stability problems whatsoever.

-Twist
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: to avenj Reply with quote

Sometimes it takes a while for someone to get to it. Most devs have a rather long bug list.

You probably shouldn't add anything to the ebuild yet, since after 1.4 the implementation of ICC integration won't be done inside ebuilds.

KBAKEP wrote:
Finally I succeeded in upgrading of rpm. :)

I've got another question.
There is a package root. I reported a new ebuild for the current version of it (bug #17393), but there is no answers. Is it usual practice?
An it capable to be compiled with icc. What should I add to the ebuild to provide CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in icc mode?
I mean a replacenment for the following line:
export GENTOO_CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" GENTOO_CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}"
KBAKEP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: to avenj Reply with quote

I didn't succeed in compiling dev-libs/root with icc. Old versions did it well. But it's OK, now it doesn't matter.
Can you help me in the following: can anyone answer me about the progress in including my ebuild (bug #17393) in the Gentoo. Nothing depends on this package. Mostly high-energy physicists use it for their work. I'm a physicist and I use it every day. Maybe I can help anyone to check the stability or whatever else.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: