Setting up internet, mounting.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Setting up internet, mounting. Reply with quote

Hello.
I got Gentoo and installed it from a stage one install and got everything set up and running good. First off, I love the speed of it, even fluxbox seems to run faster than other distros. :)

Now my problems. I'm new to Linux, came from Mandrake and Redhat with automounting/supermounting setups (where you pop in a CD/floppy and it mounts itself)
Well I want to mount a floppy, and a CD but have no luck.
'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom' doesn't work, I also tried just about every other varient similar to that, no luck. I get either "you must supply a filesystem" or something along that line. So I tried 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso0669' as well as throwing that iso0669 in every space of that command I just posted..no luck.
For the floppy: Is it not located in /dev/fd0? I thought that's what RH and MDK used.
How do I mount/use my floppy?

About the internet. I want to mount these items to get my internet to work. During setup my internet worked perfectlyjust by typing 'dhcpcd eth0' In the actual distro it doesn't work. I know what the module it uses, however: natsemi.
I don't have this module, and tried using a CD (which I burnt myelf) and floppy to compile the modules (which I downloaded). but can't mount!

Oh, and in case it matters, I used the gentoo-sources kernel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can literally do nothing without my internet. Thanks!
prolific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to mount cdrom type

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

for the floppy do

mount -t [FileSystemType] /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

also, "dhcpcd eth0" works fine for me to get my internet up and running

you might want to try and edit the /etc/conf.d/net file
uncomment this line....
iface_eth0="dhcp"
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I tried that but I got "no special device /dev/cdrom found" error.

I looked in the /etc/fstab file and saw the 'real' path which was /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and did 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom' and it said the same thing. And yes I did have the CD in the drive. (I tried 3 different CD's to make sure)
As for the floppy it's saying 'kernel does not support filysystem XX" where XX is whatever I typed. I tried many, like vfat, fat, fat32, fat16. It should be vfat anyways.

Idea, help?
prolific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well u have to compile support for the different filysystem types in the kernel , such as vfat ,etc..

about the cdrom,, im stumped on that one. if u had windows installed on this comp previously , was teh cdrom working there ?
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have an entry in /etc/fstab for the cdrom mount, use just need to use "mount /mnt/cdrom". (You'll only be able to do this as root. If you want to able to mount the cdrom as an ordinary user, you just need to add the option "user" to the list of options in /etc/fstab.) If it still complains about the device not existing, make sure you configured your kernel with devfs support. The floppy problem is probably also a kernel issue. Make sure support for the vfat filesystem is compiled in or available as a module.
BlackBart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and make sure you compiled iso9660 support into your kernel
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifo wrote:
make sure you configured your kernel with devfs support. The floppy problem is probably also a kernel issue. Make sure support for the vfat filesystem is compiled in or available as a module.

I think you pointed me to my problem. When I boot up it says something about me not having DEVFS support and to get it, and some other stuff. It gives you 15 seconds til it passes it up (or you can hit enter to skip the wait)

How would I do this? In the kernel config (make menuconfig) I did not see any DEVFS option...Also, I did enable fat support in the config for the kernel, although it had 2 options below it which came up once I selected use fat support which I left unchecked. One was msdos fat support or something of the like and the other I don't remember heh.

So anyway, would I have to re-compile a whole new kernel to do this? And if so, can I just over-write my old kernel?
From what I understand, I would just do, as root (taken from the readme):
# cd /usr/src/linux
# source /etc/profile
# make menuconfig
# make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
# mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.orig
[if bzImage already exists]
# cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

Like I did during the install, right? Or will this be fatal?
By the way, yes the CDs work in Windows. I still have it installed...I'm using it to talk to you now.

Sorry for the newbiness, and Thanks!!
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDIT: whoops, doubled posted]

Since I double posted, I may as well ask...you said I could have DEVFS/vfat support as a module? How would I do this if reconfiguring the kernel isn't a good solution?
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got the kernel compilation procedure right.

The devfs option is under "File systems --> /dev file system support". (If you don't see it, make sure "Code maturity level options --> Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" is selected.) You don't need the "Automatically mount at boot" sub-option.

For the vfat support, you'll want to enable the "MSDOS fs support" as that's often what's used on floppies. There's no harm in enabling "VFAT (Windows-95) fs support" as well.

To compiling support as a module, you select the option so that an "<M>" is shown rather than "<*>". You still have to go through the kernel recompile to get the modules. The main advantage of modules is that they are only loaded into memory when they're actually needed.
Qweasda
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Thanks, I love you. Reply with quote

Good deal, I recompiled my kernel with those options selected and now my CDrom drive and floppy mounted correctly, and I don't get that enable DEVFS error at boot up.

I also went through the network menu and enabled 'natsemi' module for my network card (that's the module it uses) and added it to the /etc/modules.autoload file. Well it half-way works. Now when I do 'ifconfig eth0' it's working - it tells me how many k/s are in and out, etc. Also lsmod tells me it's loaded. But, I can't use anything internet related: browsers don't work, IRC, emrge, ping, etc. I can ping my router successfully, but I can't ping any websites.
Also, at boot when it says "Bringing up eth0 interface..." it sits there for a significant amount of time (I'm not sure, 25 seconds??) and then says failed to bring up eth0 interface. So that's why I can't use the internet obviously..

Please help once again, and I will be very pleased!!!
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your network problems, there are a few things to check. Make sure "iface_eth0" and "gateway" in /etc/conf.d/net are set to appropriate values. Also you should have the address of a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: