View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: KDE, Konqueror hangs when copying files from an smb:// share Reply with quote

I've tried looking everywhere on the internet, and I've just had no luck finding a good KDE troubleshooting site. I've searched this forum best I could, but didn't find anything.

Anyhow, here's my problem.

In Konqueror, I can use smb://hostname/share and see the files listed. I can copy some files, but most of the time when I try to copy something (either drag and drop or using menu) from the share, the dialogue "Copy File(s) Progress" simply hangs at 0% indefinately. I've let it sit for an hour and it doesn't do anything, just hangs.

If I use smbclient directly (Konqueror seems to just use smbclient for the dirty work) I can navigate to the files and "get" them no problem.

When I do a ps ax | grep smbclient, I see two smbclient processes running. When I cancel the file copy, one of them dissapears. I figure one is konqueror's "browser" window, and the other is spawned to copy the file.

Anyone ever have this problem? I've been trying to find a connection between the files I can's transfer, but it's puzzling. I think it might be related to the filename length or maybe the length of the path to the file.

I'm going to try to investigate more, but I thought I might pass it by you guys.

System: Gentoo 1.4-r2, KDE 3.1, Xfree 4.2.1, smbclient 2.2.7, 1GB ram AthlonXP.
cbreaker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that there's a 62 character limit on the path and filename combination.

I submitted a big to the KDE team, http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54182

I've confrmed this on my Gentoo linux box and a mandrake box I have KDE3.1 on. Can anyone else confirm the 62 character limit on their (possible non KDE3.1) machines?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: