keyboard errors after install reboot, on kernel 2.4.27-sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palusso99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: keyboard errors after install reboot, on kernel 2.4.27-sparc Reply with quote

I have a ultrasparc 5 and compiled the 2.4.27-sparc kernel with everything I can possibly think of to put in it that might effect this but once I reboot from the install my keyboard does some weird stuff. The "a s d f g h w" all give some bizarre character or no character along with a speaker beep. Its fine on the install but after the reboot it does it everytime. I'm using the sun 5c keyboard and Gentoo 2004.3. I have tried 3 different 5c keyboards and they all do the same thing. I have seen similar probs but not quite the same on this kernel... Any Ideas? thx
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to edit /etc/rc.conf and try KEYMAP="sunkeymap" (makesure it's uncommented. If that doesn't work, try KEYMAP="us" instead.

You probably need to boot up the LiveCD and remount your partition in order to edit this file correctly.

Hope this helps.
palusso99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the quick resoponse but...... I had it set to "sunkeymap" and I was hoping you were on to something with the "us" but that made it even worse. I definately think that it has to do with the keymap or something since I had it break just before it goes into the init3 and the loading of fonts and keymap: It was working fine and right after it loads that last section of stuff that it types a bunch of nonsense. Any other tricks tips ideas would be greatly appreciated. thx
Toady
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SURE I have read somwhere that 5c keyboards can be a problem.

Gentoo Laptop
3.1.10-gentoo-r1, Intel Core 2 Duo (32bit)
Gnome on the desk, Intel in the box, on-board everything, but it all works!
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they all US type 5 keyboards or not? You might also try a keymap setting of sunt5-us-cz or sunt5-cz-us. Also just leaving the KEYMAP variable blank in /etc/rc.conf works. You can do this by setting it to the following;
Code:
KEYMAP=""
palusso99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know if it is a US model. they all say MODEL: TYPE 5c and thats it. There are no keys that aren't in english, although the layout between two of them are different such as one of them the BACKSPACE is a different size and place which moves the "-_ " and the "\|" and "`~" keys to different positions. I will try the different keymaps in a bit and get back to you, but what is up with those keys being different but saying that they are the same model keyboard? They both output the same garbage on those 6 keys I stated earlier though. thx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: