mouse speed in games
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: mouse speed in games Reply with quote

my mouse in wolfesnstein is very slow. i can the spped using the xset command but as soon as the game loads it slows down. i heard there is a resolution setting in xf86config-4 file, but i dont think gentoo uses this particular file. i assume im gonna have to manually change a setting in wolfentein somewhere, but where?
kang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: mouse speed in games Reply with quote

tba wrote:
my mouse in wolfesnstein is very slow. i can the spped using the xset command but as soon as the game loads it slows down. i heard there is a resolution setting in xf86config-4 file, but i dont think gentoo uses this particular file. i assume im gonna have to manually change a setting in wolfentein somewhere, but where?

you are wrong, gentoo uses XF86Config (in fact XFree4 uses it that's more precise)
in Input Device Section of mouse put
Option "Resolution" "1800" (that's big;)
that won't speed up the mouse, only the resolution
use xset m 4 1 (for example to set threshold and acceleration)
btw mine have probs: i can't get fast mouse + precise
only precise OR fast
i can get perfect in windows...... :/
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

------------------------
Mouse SUCKS In Games (QuakeIII, FPS XY)

many games use DGA mouse for mouse input in games. this is similar to the directmouse thing in windows. all versions of XFree86 prior to 4.0.2 had a somewhat broken DGA 1 mouse handling. If you want decent mouse performance upgrade to 4.0.2.

in addition to that, you'll have to load the DGA extension. many config tools disable that by default. use:

Code listing 27

Load "extmod"

instead of a SubSection if you want to make sure it gets loaded. after that, you'll have to enable DGA mouse in the game itself. for QuakeIII this comes down to

Code listing 28

seta in_dgamouse "1"

in the QuakeIII config file (~/.q3a/baseq3/q3config.cfg).
---------------------------

Maybe this can help ya out!?
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: better but not working yet Reply with quote

kang,
thanks, the resolution command worked, but i see what you mean about increasing the speed causing it to lose accuracy :( ...

nizzy,
i found the wolfenstien.cfg file and changed dgamouse to "1." But that didnt seem to help. i notice after about 15 seconds the mouse gets really really choppy. i dont think this happened before. i also saw the option set in_mouse. mine is equal to "1".. is that right? i also saw mouse acceration and tinkered with this it may have helped it may not have it is hard to tell... now im not sure what the original settings were :) but nothing seems to help.

i alreeady have X 4.0.2 r9 but what file does code listing 27 pertain too? where do i add that line?

Also, I've noticed thast translucency only works in gkrellm kasbar and other tiny apps. WolfMP uses it alot especially in opening window. Could it be that "alpha shading" or whatever it is called it being software accelerated where it should be hardware accelerated.
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: mouse speed Reply with quote

Update...
if i turn the sensitivity up using a cvar command in the games terminal, way past what the slidebar does in the games setup menu. the reason i was so thrown off about this is, as ive realized just now, its part of a bigger problem where my computer doesnt seem to be prioritzing correctly. basically after having any kind of resource intensive program open for more than 15 seconds it stops devoting resources to it. im going to post in the All Things Gentoo Forum if you guys want to read all about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: