Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Progress Report Please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Progress Report Please Reply with quote

How is the state of Gentoo/MacOSX?? is the next version production-ready yet?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by production ready? There are people who think gentoo itself isn't production ready! If you're using it, it's production ready. :)

I guess as an update, yes, progress has slowed but packages are still being marked for ppc-macos and there was a new installer released recently. If you'd like to see more packages marked stable, please test packages and submit bug reports please.

Thanks!
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the installer??

does gentoo still conflict with fink?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installer is located here: http://www.metadistribution.org/macos/
I'm not sure about fink, that's out of our control.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so before I install, I want to be clear about what the advantage is.

Gentoo allows me to use more up to date developer tools, correct? including GCC, glib, libtool, etc.

My goal is to try to get as much F/OSS GNU/Linux audio software to run on Mac OS X as I can.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actually, at this point, we're still using XCode and as many OSX tools as possible.

We're not really far enough along to really allow building most audio tools, many require qt or gtk+, neither of which currently compile on OSX due to a number of open issues.
BennyP
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using them both right now with hydrogen and gimp
qt has an osx 'native' quartz version
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The open issues I was refering to were in regards to using these packages with portage. Yes, the software does run on OSX, but it can't currently be installed by portage.
vandahm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BennyP wrote:
Ok, so before I install, I want to be clear about what the advantage is.

The advantage is the time saved from not having to track down tons of dependencies (and dependencies of dependencies) each time you want to install some Unix tools on OS X. Not everything I want to install is supported by Portage yet, but even when that happens I haven't lost anything, since I would have had to install the software and dependencies myself anyway had Portage not been available.

BennyP wrote:
Gentoo allows me to use more up to date developer tools, correct? including GCC, glib, libtool, etc.

The developer tools supplied by Apple support a number of features that aren't available in the mainstream versions. In particular, standard GCC doesn't support Apple's "Objective C++," and I don't think things like Frameworks are supported by the mainstream developer tools. If you were to replace Apple's GCC with another one from Portage, you would lose the ability to compile many OS X programs.

As an example of how frustrating this might be, look at the GNUstep project. They're developing an awesome programming and user environment similar in many ways to OS X and it's predecessor, OpenSTEP. For a long time, there's been an interest using GNUstep to port Mozilla's Camino.app to GNU/Linux and BSD, but since mainstream GCC doesn't support Objective C++, it just isn't possible. And when GNUstep folks do frameworks, they have to use kludges like symbolic links and LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings to make up for the fact that Frameworks aren't supported by mainstream developer tools.

Until this changes, you really need to stick with Apple's tools when building software for OS X.

Steve
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: