View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Anti-Aliased Fonts in gnome-terminal? Reply with quote

OK, another FAQ...

I have anti-aliased fonts set up for Mozilla (using gtk1), xterm (using XFT), and gtk2 apps (the default setting, I think).

In a gtk2 app like gThumb or the Eclipse IDE, everything looks great.

But in the content window of my gnome-terminals, no anti-aliasing! The menus and dialogs for gnome-terminal look AA, but not the terminal window itself!

GIF screenshot, 640x480

PNG screenshot, 640x480

The PNG looks like my screen, while the GIF looks different, more fuzzy, I think because of reduced color space. If you can look at the PNG, that's the best example.

On the left of the screenshot is my xterm, which looks fine with XFT font rendering.

In the middle is the gnome-terminal, using the same font (Andale Mono TT, size 20) and it looks much more jagged.

On the right is mozilla, rendering content AA just fine. (The menus in mozilla are gtk1) I don't include a gtk2 app like Eclipse in this shot, but that app looks fine; the fonts look something like mozilla's content or the xterm.

Question: How do I get gnome-terminal to look like my xterm?
sisob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my gnome-terminal to use the same font as other applications and it's working grand.

When i first merged gnome-terminal a few weeks ago i had the same problem - but i dont anymore -running 2.0.2rc1(masked)
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When i first merged gnome-terminal a few weeks ago i had the same problem - but i dont anymore -running 2.0.2rc1(masked)

Hrmm... I believe that I have unmasked the Gnome 2.0.2 stuff; gnome-terminal and libzt are still 2.0.1 in my portage tree.

The weird thing is that I get wonderful anti-aliasing in the menus and dialogs but not in the terminal itself!
link
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the problem still. I'm using the 2.0.2 version of gnome-terminal and 2.0.1-r2 of libzvt. I noticed that the font list in gnome-terminal is different. It only allows you to choose certain fonts. As if it wasn't following the xft/fontconfig rules. Any ideas?
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link wrote:
I'm using the 2.0.2 version of gnome-terminal and 2.0.1-r2 of libzvt... Any ideas?

Link:

I went on to GNOME 2.2... the new libs are working now, and so we get aa fonts in the terminals.

On a completely different note, I can't get gnome-terminal to play well with my tiny window manager, pwm, so I'm just using xterms. shrug.

Anyhow, if at all possible, I would suggest a move to GNOME 2.2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: