nvidia drivers for 2.5 kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: nvidia drivers for 2.5 kernel Reply with quote

The newest nvidia-kernel version does not even compile on the newest 2.5 kernel.

I have heard there are patches out there but I have not gotten any of them to work.
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia drivers for 2.5 kernel Reply with quote

johnio wrote:
The newest nvidia-kernel version does not even compile on the newest 2.5 kernel.

I have heard there are patches out there but I have not gotten any of them to work.

The patches are integrated in the .ebuild from the portage tree, it checks wheter you run 2.4 or 2.5 (even if you run 2.5.54 or above) and applies patches accordingly.

I have had both running flawless on 2.5.59 (aswell as .58).

Just make sure you /usr/src/linux symlink points to your kernel source directory so it can detect kernel version, and when loading it on 2.5 kernel I have to "insmod /lib/modules/2.5.59-mm6/video/NVdriver" (or in your case nvidia.so or just plain nvidia) rather then modprobe as before, don't know how much additional work I'm giving myself by doing it this way, modprobe might work OK again but so does insmod.
atom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: nvidia drivers for 2.5 kernel Reply with quote

Lowspirit wrote:

Just make sure you /usr/src/linux symlink points to your kernel source directory so it can detect kernel version, and when loading it on 2.5 kernel I have to "insmod /lib/modules/2.5.59-mm6/video/NVdriver" (or in your case nvidia.so or just plain nvidia) rather then modprobe as before, don't know how much additional work I'm giving myself by doing it this way, modprobe might work OK again but so does insmod.

so you're using the old nvidia driver with 2.5?
johnio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

That fixed it.

I had to change the "linux" symlink and be running 2.5 at the same time.

This is great. Even though I do not have preempt on, 2.5 feels much more responsive. Just starting programs and accessing the hardrive is faster. The only other problem I have is that my mouse wheel does not seem work anymore.
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be faster because of general disk access - a while back in the 2.5 tree most file systems got a (supposedly) better block allocator. Would cover at least ext2, ext3, and ReiserFS

2.5 doesn't seem to make much difference for me, and it's finicky about some of my more esoteric hardware. I'm only running it on one machine as a result, but so far that machine has been stable.

-Twist
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Still can't get Nvidia to work with 2.5 Reply with quote

I followed the above instructions with the syblink and re-emerging nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel, but when I tried to do the insmod, I got a QM-MODULES doesn't exist type of error ( I'm typing this on lynx, so I can't go back to look at the exact words).

Please help !!!!
NorthGoingZax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message is:
QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge module-init-tools
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia.
cluster2600
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: module-init-tools Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Moved from Multimedia.
hello i have
a problem i have tried the emerge module-init-tools command and it says to
me that it needs some dependencies that are masked
please help
cluster2600 france
Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, and ended up just building them manually from original source (which was later than the ebuild at the time anyway). Couldn't find module-init-tools in in the mask file, and ACCEPT="~x86" didn't work either.

It's actually quite a pain to go from 2.4 to 2.5 because of this, caveat emptor.

-Twist
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: