Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ssh fast in one direction, not the other...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: ssh fast in one direction, not the other... Reply with quote

I have a problem with using ssh (or any other connection) to and from my router. I think it has to do with resolving adresses cause - if I scp a file from my router to my other computer, all is well (fast and fine), but if I try to transfer the same file back again to the router, it is slow as hell! My hosts file look like:
laptop;
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.1    gateway.small.net       gateway
192.168.0.2     bertil.small.net        bertil
130.238.236.220 kemi220.kemi.uu.se      kemi220
and router;
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
130.238.236.1   kemi220.kemi.uu.se      kemi220
192.168.0.1    gateway.small.net       gateway

192.168.0.2     bertil.small.net        bertil

I think the problem has to do with the fact that the router has two names, gateway.small.net internally and kemi220.kemi.uu.se extarnally. In hostname I have put kemi220.kemi.uu.se only as I can't see how to bind one name to eth0 and another name to eth1. This is frustrating! ! !
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the slowdown? During the whole process (i.e. speed of transfer) or at the beginning (connection)? If it is the latter, then the problem is probably ip-resolving. If it is the first, then your suggested difficulty isn't the cause.

Are both pc's using the same sshd_config settings? Do you use the same ssh-options on both hosts?
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are both pc's using the same sshd_config settings? Do you use the same ssh-options on both hosts?
Yes, the ssh-options are the same (gentoo-default). As for the sshd_config, I only have it installed on the router so all the transfers are executed from the laptop, no matter if the direction of the transfer.
Quote:
Where is the slowdown? During the whole process (i.e. speed of transfer) or at the beginning (connection)? If it is the latter, then the problem is probably ip-resolving. If it is the first, then your suggested difficulty isn't the cause.
The slowdown starts right away and the transfer is stopped (stalled) at 196kb - if I wait a while it start again only to stall a few 100kb later. This goes on for the whole transfer. I also affect sending email through the router but not reciving.

BTW, sitting at home using it's "official" ip, makes it possible to transfer with the speed I should be able to get directly connected at work (so over two firewalls and at least as many NAT:s the transfer is some 15 times faster 8O ); using that same ip-adress at work gives no speed up...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: