Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
need help with kernel compiling
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-sta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: need help with kernel compiling Reply with quote

I used linux before (suse, but here you don't really need to configure anything)

So I decidec to install gentoo and learn some more.
But I have some problems with compiling my kernel.
I don't know which options to activate and which to disable.

What I need in the kernel is support for the following
Soundblaster Live
Networkcard (realtek 8139)
Harddrives (2 ide drives, I want to enable DMA)
CDRW (plextor on IDE Channel)
DVD (pioneer on IDE CHANNEL)
Power management (I don't know which of the options I have to activate, but I have a recent computer).

Thanks for the help
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think the options you need to enable are fairly straightforward. Of course, make sure you enable/disable those recommended in the 1.1a installation instructions and...after doing a...

Code:

make menuconfig

Quote:
Soundblaster Live

Is under the Sound --> section.

As I wanted to use Alsa I compiled it as a module, along with

OSS sound modules, Adlib Cards, Microsoft Sound System, MUP-401 support, 100% Sound Blaster compatibles - all as modules. A lot of those aren't needed but I erred on the side of caution. ;-)

Quote:
Networkcard (realtek 8139)

Network Device Support --> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --> EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers --> check both RealTek RTL-8139 options.

Quote:
Harddrives (2 ide drives, I want to enable DMA)

ATAI/IDE/MFM/RLL support --> IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block Devices -->

Yes to the following:

Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
Use multi-mode by default
Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
SCSI emulation support (this is for your IDE CDRW)

Further down your list, you'll see IDE chipset support/bugfix support. If you see details relating to your motherboard (if it's VIA for example), ensure it's selected.

You might also want to check off Generic PCI IDE chipset support, Sharing PCI IDE interrupts, PCI bus-master DMA support, Use PCI DMA by default.

Quote:

CDRW (plextor on IDE Channel)
DVD (pioneer on IDE CHANNEL)

Both covered by the above.

Quote:

Power management (I don't know which of the options I have to activate, but I have a recent computer).

Well, you can't really do anything interesting with ACPI yet so I'd leave it disabled. Go to General Setup -->

And enable Power Management Support, Advanced Power Management, Enable PM at boot time & Make CPU Idle calls when idle.

I checked those because they were what was enabled on a stock RH kernel. Also because it prevents an unavailable APM warning in XFree and I'm a bit bothered about warnings, however irrelevant they are! ;-)

With the kernel, I wouldn't worry if you don't check off options that you need. You'll soon find out about them and it's easy to put them right.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked in favor of this thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: