Single Session Remote Login
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
own6volvos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Single Session Remote Login Reply with quote

I just made the switch from Windows XP to Linux on my server in hopes of being able to do the few things I do a tad more efficiently, and possibly make the computer run a bit faster.

With windows XP on the server I could remote desktop to it from any computer I was at. Local network or at a friends house. Now with Linux and KDE, my friend told me it doesn't work like that, and every time you log in it creates a new session and I can't see programs that were open like Xmule, and torrent stuff.

Is there any way to allow me to log in remotely to the server, get a KDE desktop to show up on the computer I am loggin in from, and always be able to see the current session running to update file downloads and whatnot?

If it matters, the computer in question is a custom built machine. MSI K7T266 Pro V.2, AMD 1800+, 756 megs of DDR, 60 GB HD.
Paulten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE Desktop Sharing allows you to invite somebody at a remote location to watch and possibly control your desktop.

start "krfb" and read the help pages. I think this is what you are looking for, thou I never tested it myself.

Good luck
own6volvos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this an easy to setup program? How difficult might you say this is?
nobspangle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xf4vnc is a vnc server that allows you to export display 0 (the one on the screen) it's available through portage, I'm not sure how much setting up is required, or if it will work with xorg as well as xfree.

The realvnc method is to run the vncserver as display 1 then connect to it locally from your desktop.

The best option is to give up your gui, use cli programs and do all your remote access through ssh
Paulten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure kde desktop sharing connects you to :0.
And yes, if you start the program you will see how easy it is :)

Good luck.
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of doing it regardless of kde or not is to use the VNC X extensin to see you 0:) ie. current session.

1. Install realvnc or tightvnc. I chose realvnc, from www.realvnc.com as their v4 is much improved and not in portage..well not for x86

2. Copy over vnc.so I believe to your X server libs directory at usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions

3. Edit you X11 file, for an example, /etc/X11/XF86Config and in the modules section add

Code:
Load "vnc"

in the screen section add something like
Code:
Section "Screen"
        Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

Get into a root console, and run vncpassword which will create a password to access your vnc servers. Restart X and you should be set, connect from your host:5900
aerotux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems there is a realvnc 4.0 ebuild now in portage.

I tried it and compiles ok, but vnc.so is not getting copied to the extensions dir (maybe a bad call to vncinstall?). I've just modified the ebuild to "hard" copy it, I hope it works.

Quote:
I chose realvnc, from www.realvnc.com as their v4 is much improved and not in portage..well not for x86

Do you believe this new version is better than the tight encoding? Becouse tight is much better than the standard encoding when it comes to poor bandwidth... But I've not tried this new 4.0 version yet.

UPDATE: I could move the vnc.so while the ebuild was being compiled and everything worked fine. I've also added [ Option "usevnc" "on" ] on the screen section (besides the passwordFile option).
radonsg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASIO_BOB wrote:
Another way of doing it regardless of kde or not is to use the VNC X extensin to see you 0:) ie. current session.

1. Install realvnc or tightvnc. I chose realvnc, from www.realvnc.com as their v4 is much improved and not in portage..well not for x86

2. Copy over vnc.so I believe to your X server libs directory at usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions

3. Edit you X11 file, for an example, /etc/X11/XF86Config and in the modules section add

Code:
Load "vnc"

Code:
Section "Screen"
EndSection

Get into a root console, and run vncpassword which will create a password to access your vnc servers. Restart X and you should be set, connect from your host:5900

I'm using tightvnc from the portage. I couldn't find the file vnc.so tp copy across. Any idea?
2 x 512MB TwinMos DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce 5200
aerotux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the tightvnc project has a vnc.so... You could try to find a binary distribution of the package to confirm it.
Yesterday I installed the realvnc ebuild again and forgot about the library, but what I did was to extract the binary ditro from realvnc.com site and copied over the extensions dir. It worked fine.
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Another way of doing it regardless of kde or not is to use the VNC X extensin to see you 0 ie. current session.

Code:

Load "vnc"

Code:

Section "Screen"
EndSection

Going to try this now, but how do I change the port it listens on in this setup?
I assume something along the lines of an Option in the X11 config file...
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Going to try this now, but how do I change the port it listens on in this setup?
I assume something along the lines of an Option in the X11 config file...

indeed there is
Code:

Option "rfbport" "port number"

so I have it listening on port 5901...
Option "rfbport" "5901"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: