View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Gnome Taskbar confirugation Reply with quote

Is there a way to limit what the gnome taskbar is displaying? I'm running the newest version of gnome (at time of writing) 2.2rc2, and I found an excellent sticky notes package located here:

http://loban.caltech.edu/stickynotes/

This is for gnome2, and it eats that "goats" crap for breakfast. Anyway, it does have an annoyance (as did goats) in that it lists each note as a seperate taskwindow that I can switch to. I would like the taskbar to ignore these, as I might want to have 30 notes up and wouldn't like to have 30 things on my taskbar, which would force me to search through my taskbar finding "real" programs. Is there a way to do this in gnome, or maybe with however gnome is getting its information on what windows/programs are open? I'm running sawfish.

If one could mask which window titles are not displayed, that would be excellent for other applications such as hiding gnomeICU and gkrellm from the taskbar - these types of applications aren't really used in a conventional way and it would be nice if their presence on the taskbar could be eliminated.
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in gnome 2.0 you can use "Always group windows" in the Windows List Preferences. It isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it might be better than default.
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really check right now, because I'm not @ my linux box, but you have a "matched windows" configuration thingie in the gnome-menu of sawfish configuration. You can match the title of the note-windows and then choose different options for it (where it opens, what size, and stuff), I think you can also choose not to show it in the panel.
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol that matched windows feature is incredible - I've never had need look into that feature set of Sawfish, but it is very extensive and well-done. Something like that is why I will never move to Metacity; such customization is not possible.

Anyway, I succeeded in having the sticky notes windows recognized and handled by sawfish's matched windows feature, but a few things don't work or are not implemented yet, such as changing a window's drawing behavior to be border only, etc. (or at least they didn't work for me). The option of ignoring the window in the window list did not work for me either, but it is definately there. Thanks Matje for pointing that out!
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use gnome 2.2 rc2 and metacity and really like sticky notes! But the problem you have about the sticky notes windows in the window list is on my desktop no problem. They simply don't show up in the window-list.
Matje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the tool myself, for my xchat. See here It's a drag to put those windows like that everytime you start ;-) And since sawfish2 doesn't remember the windows placement (yet?) I do it like this :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: