Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irf2003 wrote:
Jengu wrote:
Both emerge systems are done and the first emerge world is going on in the background. Gaim segfaults a few seconds after I open it -- could this be due to the emerge's not finishing yet or am I going to have to recompile it after all this is done?

Edit: Specifically, whenever I send or a receive a message gaim segfaults.

try re-emerging gaim with plain Jane compiler flags, see if that helps.
please post you emerge info, so that we may see what you've got.
hth
happy gentooing
another thing, when programs segfaults, it could be a hardware problem, such as
bad memory sticks and such, does the segfaults only occure when you run gaim?
if not run memtestx86
hth

Yup, gaim is the only unstable thing I've found so far. I doubt it's a bad memory problem because it worked fine before I started the recompile. It's on the first emerge -e world now =)

It just got to recompiling gtk, maybe that will help.

Question: How do I emerge it with plain compiler flags without interrupting the emerge -e world going on in the background? Normally I'd just temporarily change my make.conf, but that could change jobs going on in the emerge -e world.

EDIT: BETTER QUESTION: My new RAM is arriving today. If I ctrl+c the emerge -e world, shutdown, put in the ram, startup machine, and do emerge --resume will I be ok or is that too risky? I'd prefer to put the RAM in since it will make the compiling go much much faster.
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, now neverball has messed up fonts. irf, those compiler flags are definitely not entirely stable ;)

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=pentium3 -march=pentium3 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb -ftracer -pipe "
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

I'll edit this post when I figure out if it's xorg or sdl or neverball that's affected.
kezzla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggested USE flags for gcc 3.4.3 using amd64 (32-bit) ?
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jengu wrote:
Ack, now neverball has messed up fonts. irf, those compiler flags are definitely not entirely stable ;)

Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=pentium3 -march=pentium3 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -fweb -ftracer -pipe "
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

I'll edit this post when I figure out if it's xorg or sdl or neverball that's affected.

they are stable my end, 4 p4 boxen, and an old p3 laptop onthe above, of course with the proper march and mtune for each.
can you post you emerge info? if you have any of those mmx and sse
USE flags, something is bound to fail, and i can attest for that,
with the above compiler flags. but, all things being equal, it should
be smooth sailing.
hell, i even patched the xorg-x11, and the mozilla's ebuilds to admit the above, and so far had no problems.
hth
happy gentooing
PS I don't use gaim, but will nevertheless, emerge it to see whether
your problem may be duplicated, will report the results
agnitio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to start with thanking everyone in this thread, it has been so very helpful. Although I do have one question. After reading here I got the feeling that one shouldn't include sse2 and such in the CHOST optimization-flags, is this correct. If that is the case, then I suppose mine shouldn't look like this?
Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe -msse2"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

I would love some feedback since I'm very new at this. I've been reading the gcc manual but some things are just beyond me.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the time of gcc 3.4.1/2 -msse2 code was horrible broken in gcc. because of that lv made gcc automagically add -mno-sse2 (invisible at compile-time). but if you add -msse2 it was activated and _could_ cause broken installs.

I do _not_ know how it is right now but if that sse2 code gets well again i guess lv would drop that workaround.

As I know -march=pentium4 adds -msse2 as well but would not break lv's workaround.

Anyone may correct me please, thanks! :)
agnitio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot. That really cleared things up. So I suppose I'll remove the -msse2 and just rely on the -march=pentium4 flag.
jedsen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit. I just emerge 3.4.1 last night.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedsen wrote:
Damnit. I just emerge 3.4.1 last night.

if you do not have -msse2 in your flags there is no problem.
tleavitt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: problems with 3.4.3 (multilib?) compile on amd64 Reply with quote

I noticed 3.4.3 out and I tried to emerge on my amd64. It would appear that it went on building fine until it hit what would appear to be the multilib portion of the compile. Got an error that I wasn't quite expecting. I'm running a 2.6.9 kernel and have 32-bit compatability libraries installed. I currently have gccgcc-3.3.4-r1 running and compiled w/ multilib. Sorta' curious what's happening here being an ametuer.

Tried to build w/ USE flags: fortran, gtk, multilib, nls... nothing too unusal here

Code:
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss wrote:

Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
emerge -e world

The first command ensures my toolchain is in order; the second ensures it's been compiled with a clean and current toolchain; the third recompiles all my packages with a clean and current toolchain; the fourth ensures that all my packages are compiled against packages compiled with a clean and current toolchain.

Okay, I can see the first two emerge -e system commands, but the second emerge -e world? Wouldn't all of the toolchain already been compiled against a clean and current toolchain by the second emerge -e system?
irf2003
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with 3.4.3 (multilib?) compile on amd64 Reply with quote

tleavitt wrote:
I noticed 3.4.3 out and I tried to emerge on my amd64. It would appear that it went on building fine until it hit what would appear to be the multilib portion of the compile. Got an error that I wasn't quite expecting. I'm running a 2.6.9 kernel and have 32-bit compatability libraries installed. I currently have gccgcc-3.3.4-r1 running and compiled w/ multilib. Sorta' curious what's happening here being an ametuer.

Tried to build w/ USE flags: fortran, gtk, multilib, nls... nothing too unusal here

Code:
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

did you do
Code:

etc-update && env-update && source /etc/profile

what is the output of
Code:

gcc-config -l

hth
happy gentooing
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori80 wrote:
robmoss wrote:

Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
emerge -e world

The first command ensures my toolchain is in order; the second ensures it's been compiled with a clean and current toolchain; the third recompiles all my packages with a clean and current toolchain; the fourth ensures that all my packages are compiled against packages compiled with a clean and current toolchain.

Okay, I can see the first two emerge -e system commands, but the second emerge -e world? Wouldn't all of the toolchain already been compiled against a clean and current toolchain by the second emerge -e system?

Sure but packages in world aren't compiled with the current and clean toolchain...
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something... are there packages in not in system that are used to comple other packages?
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record: The neverball font problem was due to a change in my xorg.conf I forgot about, not compiler flags.

Also, the gaim problem was solved by unmerging arts. Since I didn't have this problem before, I'm guessing that arts doesn't like one or more of those compiler flags.

Since I don't use kde or arts anyway I just put -arts in my use flags.
oberyno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, I agree with Satori80 here. Let's take openssl as an example.

First I emerge -e system. That gives be a system with a decent toolchain, but that might have strange bugs due to being compiled with a broken toolchain. Thus I emerge -e system again.
Next I emerge -e world. Afaict, emerge -e world emerges in dependency order, so nothing that depends on openssl will get built before openssl. So, openssl gets compiled with a clean toolchain, then python gets built against the new openssl, etc...

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see how 2 emerge -e world's will help.
sakarns
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: problems with 3.4.3 (multilib?) compile on amd64 Reply with quote

I seem to be having the same problem emerging gcc as reported by tleavitt. This is happening on a dual processor amd64, nothing special in my USE flags.

Code:
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_6\
4-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32

!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1297, Exitcode 2

From /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/32/libstdc++-v3/config.log:
Code:
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.3  (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3, ssp-3.4.3-0, pie-8.7.6.6)
configure:2362: $? = 0
configure:2364: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isy\
stem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32 -V </dev/null >&5
xgcc: `-V' must come at the start of the command line
configure:2367: $? = 1
configure:2390: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2393: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/xgcc -B/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.3/work/build/gcc/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/lib/ -isy\
stem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/sys-include  -m32 -O2 -O2 -pipe -O2 -O2 -pipe  conftest.c  >&5
configure:2396: $? = 0
configure:2442: result: a.out
configure:2447: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:2453: ./a.out
./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsandbox.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
configure:2456: $? = 127
configure:2465: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

Output of "gcc-config -l":
Code:
[1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.4 *

... and yes, I did try
Code:
etc-update && env-update && source /etc/profile

with the same result.

Clues or help?
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oktane wrote:
Satori80 wrote:

Sure but packages in world aren't compiled with the current and clean toolchain...

I think what he means is he can see the point behind saying
Code:
 emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world
but why do world a SECOND time after that? After doing the system twice (thrice really if you count world as doing it as well though I may be mistaken on this point) why would you need to do world twice? The toolchain would already be in place and clean, so in theory the first pass through world should also be clean. right right?

Petyr
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Petyr. I have always been confused about the lengthy process.

Realistically I cant see doing more then emerge -e system && emerge -e world.

The first will compile your system and the world will compile your system against the toolchain along with packages in your world...

The world emerge does everything in system again so that takes care of 2 systems and you only need 1 world because packages are compiled in order. This means all packages outside of system will be compiled against the system toolchain and against the world toolchain as they go down in the list.

I find the 4 emerges to be extremely overkill without it making much sense.
Deranger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petyr wrote:
Oktane wrote:
Satori80 wrote:

I think what he means is he can see the point behind saying
Code:
 emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world
but why do world a SECOND time after that? After doing the system twice (thrice really if you count world as doing it as well though I may be mistaken on this point) why would you need to do world twice? The toolchain would already be in place and clean, so in theory the first pass through world should also be clean. right right?

Petyr

Ah, I misread that one :P

I agree, second emerge -e world is a pretty reduntant...
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petyr wrote:
(thrice really if you count world as doing it as well though I may be mistaken on this point)

You aren't.

Petyr wrote:
The toolchain would already be in place and clean, so in theory the first pass through world should also be clean. right right?

One would think.
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two important points to note. The first is that anything in the toolchain will almost certainly have a dependency set which is fairly incorrect and very incomplete. The reason for this is simple: if it is correct and complete, bootstrap doesn't work, and emerge can't work out a package order for pretty much anything (try it).

The second important point is that linking against a programme compiled using one toolchain, and then remerging the package you linked against with the new toolchain, is not necessarily consistently well-behaved unless the dependencies are correct and complete (which again won't work) and have not changed (which doesn't always hold).

And another point to note, I suppose, is that the standard GCC build involves three full compiles - so you build 3.4 with 3.3, then you build 3.4 with your new 3.4, then you build 3.4 with the 3.4-built 3.4 to check that it works, and you use that one because it's the cleanest compiler (again, try it).

Compilers are a black art. If something makes sense, it's probably wrong.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robmoss wrote:
Compilers are a black art. If something makes sense, it's probably wrong.

you just made my quotes file.

:wink:
Satori80
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:, good point.

BTW, I find a few packages that won't compile against gcc version 3.4.3 20041125. Is there a thread to report to for this or is it appropriate to file bug reports on ~x86 packages? I hesitate to do the latter simply because I wouldn't know if the issue is with GCC or the packages – or even the ebuilds for the packages that are failing on the new compiler.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori80 wrote:
:lol:, good point.

BTW, I find a few packages that won't compile against gcc version 3.4.3 20041125. Is there a thread to report to for this or is it appropriate to file bug reports on ~x86 packages? I hesitate to do the latter simply because I wouldn't know if the issue is with GCC or the packages – or even the ebuilds for the packages that are failing on the new compiler.

Since its slotted that means you still have version 3.3.4 on your system (unless you removed it manually) so if you come across anything that doesnt like 3.4, then it will use 3.3.4 instead...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: