KT400 & AGP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muddy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: KT400 & AGP Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has got a KT400 chipset going with a 2.4 series kernel properly. I can get the 8235 DMA and sound working without problems on the gentoo2.4.19 no problem. Adding the load glx optioin in the XF86Config seems to enable the OpenGL stuff - however looking at the speed this seems to be software emulated.

Kernel 2.4.21 ac3 pre 4 seems the same which seems a little odd since a 2.4.20 on my previous Mandrake installation had hardware acceleration working fine. Dmesg seems sems ok on the later kernel.

I would prefer to use the earlier kernel and possibly enable the AGP, even if it means me editing a few files (this is what I done before to enable recognition of the 8235 & DMA, could not see anything similar for AGP) as this kernel seems a little more stable to me. Any pointers would be appreciated..or have I got to take a look at the development 2.5 series?

Many thanks
Karl
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but when you do your kernel config under a 2.4 series kernel, do you have under "Character Devices" the "/dev/agpgart" checked? And then check the VIA chipset support?
I found that my GeForce3 ran in what seemed to be software emulation mode without having this.

-Andrew

EDIT:
Maybe try this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/38634

Last edited by squanto on Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Schwin97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: kt400 Reply with quote

I know there is a kernel in portage that has support for the kt400. It is working for me just fine...

linux-2.4.20-ac2 is what my kernel directory is called...

Schwin97
Muddy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have put a bit more information in my original post. I have enabled the agp gart and via chipset support under the kernel. I get the sneaky feeling that Nvidia drivers do a few checks and get around problems. I'm running a Matrox G400 (which is usually supported quite well).

I might be making a silly mistake. At the moment I change the symbolic link 'linux' to point to the kernel I want to compile. I back up .config, do a make mrproper, restore .config make menuconfig, make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install, copy over the kernel and run lilo.

If this is ok I might try some of the other kernels. I must admit that Gentoo gives me far less grief than Mandrake on the kernel front on this front:-) I sure I emerged the gentoo 2.4.20 kernel to try and IIRC it decided to patch/update itself to 2.4.21...I could be going mad there though, it might be a beer thing. One thing I did notice on the newer kernel is that the Athlon XP option is not listed, I assume all of K7 series is bundled under Athlon. This later kernel does seem unstable for me though - X will tend to hard lock. At least we get plenty of kernels to choose from :o)

Still, I'll plug on and welcome suggestions.
The Ennead
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me, no problems, just a bit of messing about. I currently use the 2.4.20 vanilla kernel and there are no issues that i'm aware of with that and the KT400. Once it's d/loaded I compile as normal but it is essential to make sure agpgart is loaded as a module and not built into the kernel or it won't work. I'm still new to Gentoo so go with the tried and trusted compile Nvidia drivers tarballs manually rather than doing an emerge on them. Once they are d/loaded I edit the os-registry.c file in the nvidia kernel folder to enable fastwrites, sba and also agp 4x. Install them and edit XF86Config as normal and then open up (if I remember correctly) modules.autoload and add in the line "agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1". From there ctrl+alt+backspace and all goes well ....usually ;)

Edit: oops didn't notice you'd mentioned you had a matrox so ignore the nvidia bits in my post.

Last edited by The Ennead on Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using vanilla sources 2.4.20 and agp is working on this kt400 with either agpgart or nvagp (including sidebanding).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: