Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What are the best packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slam_head
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: What are the best packages Reply with quote

What are your favorite unmasked packages for OS X? I'm currious what good software is out there that I'v missed.
NocturnalCoffeeMan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konqueror is an awesome file manager, mplayer will beat the crap out of quicktime, evolution is a great email client. emacs is the king of text editors. k3b is a sweet cd/dvd burning program that is similar to nero or roxio. Tuxracer is fun downhill racing game that features the linux mascot tux. gaim is an Instant Messagin client that handles msn, aim/icq, napster, IRC, and several other protocols.
Registered Linux User #365191
dRop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, all of those are currently listed as masked and not even in testing under ppc-macos http://packages.gentoo.org/. Do they at least compile if unmasked?
trentin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose mplayer might compile, since there exists already a native mplayer port to macosx (with a nice (athough very simple) cocoa gui). that said, i recommend using the native port, that can be found at: http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

I read that nmap should compile w/o problems on os x, but again, there exists a native port of nmap (again with the gui). the good news is, that it is possible to extract only the binary files, that run in the console.

for the other pacakges mentioned here: i am quite sure you would not be able to compile them out-of-the-box. But then again, why should you? instead of evolution you can use thunderbird, instead of gaim, use fire (which is much more cooler than gaim imho) and so on.

konqueror: why would anyone want to use konqueror under macosx? i would much more like to have midnight commander...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: