Who has already boot gentoo on an Indy R5K
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartmut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Who has already boot gentoo on an Indy R5K Reply with quote

I have try to boot an Indy R5k with netboot. I have installed DHCP and TFTP
Server and the indy can load the Image via bootp. But after loading the image the system is standing still. know somewhere the reason !!
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible you've got the output device configured improperly.

Indy can only be interacted with via two means: Monitor/KB/Mouse or Serial Console. I personally prefer the latter, as it's sometimes easier than moving a monitor setup around alot. However, serial on an Indy (and Indigo2) requires a special cable which is difficult to find.

That said, if you're using serial, you need to make sure of several things:
  • Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse are all unplugged
  • console is set to 'd1' (the serial device) via executing setenv console d1 on the prom command line.
  • Setting dbaud correctly, again using the setenv command.
The default baud rate is 9600. The serial driver can theoretically support up to 115200, but I use a max of 38400. The other settings are 8bit data, no parity, and 1 stop bit. Set these on your serial client.

The kernel should then autodetect and use the serial device, but this sometimes doesn't work either. In that case, try passing console=ttyS0,<baud> on the command line, where <baud> is the selected baud rate.

If you're going the Monitor route, you need to make sure the monitor supports SyncOnGreen, and can support high/odd resolutions. I learned a trick for my Indy, was to plug in the mouse and keyboard, but leave the monitor unplugged for several seconds after bootup, then plug the unit in. This makes the Indy operate at a lower resolution that my monitor will accept. Your results may vary, however.

--Kumba
hartmut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks now it runs, i have take an other machien.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: