Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
if doscsi hangs on you, like it does me (now with MadWifi)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: if doscsi hangs on you, like it does me (now with MadWifi) Reply with quote

Update:
install-x86-minimal-2004.3-scsi-r4a.iso is now the latest.
Update: r4 is broken, don't use it. Going to fix it now.
Update: x86 version has been updated.
MadWifi drivers have been added.
Should boot with 32Meg now.
Minor typo in one of the startup scripts has been fixed.

Update: The AMD 64 build is ready
http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/
http://www.michael-innes.co.uk/gentoo/
http://www.go-linux.org/~spencer/gentoo/
Update: newer version at http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/
Update: There is a new mirror http://www.go-linux.org/~spencer/gentoo/
Thanks go out to Sound-Mind from http://www.go-linux.org who has emailed me to let know that he mirrored it and that it worked well for him too.

Hi, all with scsi installation hangs/problems,
I've remastered the 2004.3 x86 minimal installation cd to accept scsi modules as options on the command line, such as
Code:
gentoo doaic7xxx domegaraid
which works on my Dell Poweredge 6350 with a CDROM attached to an Adaptec 7860 and disks attached to a PERC2/SC.

Modules available on the commandline are:
Code:
3w-9xxx 3w-xxxx 53c700 BusLogic NCR53c406a a100u2w aacraid aha152x aha1542 aha1740 aic79xx aic7xxx ata_piix atp870u dc395x dmx3191d dpt_i2o dtc eata eata_pio fdomain g_NCR5380 g_NCR5380_mmio gdth imm in2000 ipr ips libata megaraid nsp32 pas16 aha152x_cs fdomain_cs nsp_cs qlogic_cs sym53c500_cs ppa psi240i qla1280 qla2100 qla2200 qla2300 qla2322 qla2xxx qla6312 qla6322 qlogicfas qlogicfas408 qlogicfc qlogicisp sata_nv sata_promise sata_sil sata_sis sata_svw sata_sx4 sata_via sata_vsc scsi_transport_fc scsi_transport_spi sg sim710 st sym53c416 sym53c8xx t128 tmscsim u14-34f ultrastor wd7000 cpqarray cciss DAC960

I can't test them all, I don't have the hardware. The way they are called is modeled after the two that work for me.

Use them the same way as in my example: do(insert module name here). Multiple modules are allowed, as shown above. Order does not matter.

The kernel has been upgraded to 2.6.9-gentoo-r4 with SMP.
generic ide, ide cdrom and ide disk are built into the kernel. DMA is available, but disabled by default. I think this is enough for anyone booting from most ide CDs and installing to ide or scsi drives.

Modules that offended my PC were removed from doscsi. It doesn't hang anymore, but it still could not detect my CDROM. Although doscsi still doesn't work for me, it may work for you.

Here's my dilema :cry:, I don't have a public place to upload the CD. Click my email button if you can help me to help you and others. The image is 57 Meg.

Here's my disclaimer :!: , if this becomes publicly available, I am not responsible if this doesn't work you, blows up your PC, or whatever ails you before or after using this CD. Oh yeah, if the original CD works for you, you don't need this.

With that, I will try and help as much as possible, even if it means remastering, but, please be a little patient, I'm not the fastest responder in the world.

For those of you who want to know how I did this, I started by
compiling the kernel with almost everything as a modules,
added the modules to gentoo.igz and livecd.squashfs,
removed offending modules from /etc/modules/scsi for doscsi, this didn't work for me so I,
modified /etc/initrd.defaults to accept the arguments,
added files needed to /etc/modules/ to compliment the commandline arguments,
and viola, it worked!

There are no stages on this CD. Either download them after booting or boot with docache and swap CDs.

Thank you,
Jiffy

Last edited by Jiffy on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:52 pm; edited 7 times in total
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check email
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have uploaded the iso for Jiffy.

I have tried it with megaraid express 200 with a raid5 array and it found sda no problem on boot, though have not done install as waiting on new controller and disks.

As always bandwidth is an issue so if it starts getting to much i will have pull iso, so if you have a mirror or can start it bittorrent it will be apriciated.

get iso here

www.michael-innes.co.uk/gentoo
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
lathos42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy,

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this with all of us. This took care of a problem with my machine that i've been working on for awhile. Thanks again :)

Carpman,

Thanks for hosting this, its much appreciated.

-Lathos42
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help, enough people help me out on forums :)
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman, Thank you very much! :D

lathos42, I'm glad it worked. :D

Anybody else that gets their hands on this, please report your results back here.

I hope it solves other people's problems too, and that the Gentoo developers pick this apart and make it work for the next release (hint, hint). :wink:
NismoC32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested it with adaptec Ultra 160 7892 based SCSI Card and it worked :-) THANKS.

Is it possible to get a x86_64 version ot this disk ?
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask, NismoC32, I just got my Asus A8V motherboard with a 3400+ and the rest of the parts today. I still have to put it all together. What are the issues you are having?

Hopefully I'll get to it after my doctor's visit a little later on today. If not, I'll more than likely get to it tomorrow. I really don't want this just sitting around idle.

When it's done building, I don't see why I can't make an x86_64 version. Right now hosting is an issue, if you can help, that would be great. carpman is graciously hosting the image now on his site. I'm trying to find a permanent place to put the current one now.

Oh yeah, and thanks for testing!

Jiffy
NismoC32
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thats the same MB that I have :-)
The problem is that when I choose "doscsi" it hangs on sata_sis.
And I know that you can't use a x86 LiveCD if you are going for 64 bits installation (Tried that on another computer with SATA disks).
For now I'm using my old Gentoo install (32-bit)

Have no possebilities to host files... sorry.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth usage not a probelm at the moemnt so don't fret to much :)

Can't be many scsi users out there!
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Déjà Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there's no "official" solution for this bug yet, huh?

I'll be using Gentoo on a production server and I don't think I can use this unofficial ISO, given the strict rules of our IT department.

any comments?
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Déjà Vu wrote:
so there's no "official" solution for this bug yet, huh?

I'll be using Gentoo on a production server and I don't think I can use this unofficial ISO, given the strict rules of our IT department.

any comments?

Hi, Déjà Vu,
This CD is only a modified version of the x86 minimal install that should allow you to boot your server(s) to get it/them on the network AND recognize SCSI devices to do the installation from the official sources. It is NOT the Gentoo distribution nor does it pretend to be.

I hope that explanation is enough for your IT department to allow you to try it. If not, I hope they'll let you download it, pick it apart and roll your own.

Please post your experiences here if you can try it or if you DIY.
I'm hoping that this will catch a developer's eye and they will use it or create something similar within the next release or two, then all the SCSI problems can disappear.
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to get a x86_64 version ot this disk ?

This got put on hold due to an untimely death in the family just before Christmas. I should to get to it this weekend.
Déjà Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the reply, and my condolences about the death.

I'll download the ISO now, and we'll see how the IT responds.

I'll let you know.
fbeauregard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter Reply with quote

As mentionned in this thread : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=272878&highlight=, I have a Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter BIOS v3.2B (ABP-940UW).

I would like to know which module I should use?
Should I just retry doscsi with this iso?

Tx
François
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter Reply with quote

fbeauregard wrote:
As mentionned in this thread : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=272878&highlight=, I have a Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter BIOS v3.2B (ABP-940UW).

Tx
François

The two cards i have tried it one did not need the doscsi option, just booted and they were found.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter Reply with quote

fbeauregard wrote:

Tx
François

After researching, it would be "gentoo doadvansys" on my disk, but, that module is not on that disk.

When I created the kernel for that disk, "Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly" under "Code maturity level options" was checked. At that point, the advansys module is unavailable. It is 8:00 AM here, I will recreate the disk around lunch time and repost.
fbeauregard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Advansys Ultra Wide SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:
After researching, it would be "gentoo doadvansys" on my disk, but, that module is not on that disk.

When I created the kernel for that disk, "Select only drivers expected to compile cleanly" under "Code maturity level options" was checked. At that point, the advansys module is unavailable. It is 8:00 AM here, I will recreate the disk around lunch time and repost.

Let me know when it is ready.
Tx for all your help. It is really appreciated.

François
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, carpman,

I have another image ready, can I have permission to post it?

Jiffy
Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I now have a place to host some files.
carpman, thank you very much for your help.
If you can keep that mirror, it would be great.

I have put a new version up at http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/
This contains a few more scsi drivers that weren't in the first one.

Code:
3w-9xxx 3w-xxxx 53c700 BusLogic NCR53c406a a100u2w aacraid advansys aha152x aha152x_cs aha1542 aha1740 aic79xx aic7xxx aic7xxx_old ata_piix atp870u dc395x dmx3191d dpt_i2o dtc eata eata_pio fdomain fdomain_cs g_NCR5380 g_NCR5380_mmio gdth imm in2000 initio ipr ips libata megaraid nsp32 nsp_cs pas16 ppa psi240i qla1280 qla2100 qla2200 qla2300 qla2322 qla6312 qla6322 qlogic_cs qlogicfas qlogicfas408 qlogicfc qlogicisp sata_nv sata_promise sata_sil sata_sis sata_svw sata_sx4 sata_via sata_vsc scsi_transport_fc scsi_transport_spi seagate sg sim710 st sym53c416 sym53c500_cs sym53c8xx t128 tmscsim u14-34f ultrastor wd7000 cpqarray cciss DAC960 sx8

fbeauregard, give this one a try.

Déjà Vu, how is it going with your IT dept? I hope you get to try it.
fbeauregard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx So much. I will try that today.
I wanted to use the universal cd to simplify the installation process (first time installing gentoo!).

Is it an option (a good idea) to boot from the iso image you provide then unmounting the cd and mount the univesal CD and continue with the installation process?

Jiffy wrote:
Ok, I now have a place to host some files.
carpman, thank you very much for your help.
If you can keep that mirror, it would be great.

I have put a new version up at http://www.novickzone.com/gentoo/
This contains a few more scsi drivers that weren't in the first one.

Code:
3w-9xxx 3w-xxxx 53c700 BusLogic NCR53c406a a100u2w aacraid advansys aha152x aha152x_cs aha1542 aha1740 aic79xx aic7xxx aic7xxx_old ata_piix atp870u dc395x dmx3191d dpt_i2o dtc eata eata_pio fdomain fdomain_cs g_NCR5380 g_NCR5380_mmio gdth imm in2000 initio ipr ips libata megaraid nsp32 nsp_cs pas16 ppa psi240i qla1280 qla2100 qla2200 qla2300 qla2322 qla6312 qla6322 qlogic_cs qlogicfas qlogicfas408 qlogicfc qlogicisp sata_nv sata_promise sata_sil sata_sis sata_svw sata_sx4 sata_via sata_vsc scsi_transport_fc scsi_transport_spi seagate sg sim710 st sym53c416 sym53c500_cs sym53c8xx t128 tmscsim u14-34f ultrastor wd7000 cpqarray cciss DAC960 sx8

fbeauregard, give this one a try.

Jiffy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it an option (a good idea) to boot from the iso image you provide then unmounting the cd and mount the univesal CD and continue with the installation process?

It should work.
You have two options:
1. If you have enough ram, append "docache" somewhere in the options when you boot. This will allow you to unmount the CD after its booted. For your machine and from your posts, I think "gentoo doadvansys docache" will work for you.
2. Install a second CDROM in the machine or use a USB or firewire external CDROM and mount the universal CD there.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been no official fix for the SCSI problems some people were facing with 2004.3's release. Unfortunately, we have a very hard time finding testers for our releases, especially ones with a wide arrary of hardware. It seems that everybody that wants to test either provides little or no feedback, or they simply don't have hardware that we don't already have to test with. Couple that with the fact that it seems that the day after we release, so yahoo company makes a new motherboard that becomes the new hotness, that of course, doesn't work with the release... :wink:

Anyway, as a solution to this, we are currently working on adding a "noload" option to the LiveCD/genkernel for 2005.0's release. This will allow you to "gentoo doscsi noload=tmscsim" to cause the detection to skip the broken module. You will also be able to specify multiple modules on a single line, such as noload=tmscsim,megaraid. We hope this will resolve our need to constantly come up with fixes for broken modules on certain hardware.

Also, remember that "doscsi" is really only to be used for SCSI CDROM installations. You shouldn't need it for RAID controllers, or SATA, unless you happen to have a SATA CDROM. Otherwise, hotplug/coldplug will take care of it and load the right one for you.
Déjà Vu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:

I just log in to post a status update, and I see your message. =)

Anyways, the IT department let me use your ISO, and it works perfectly... =) Thank you very much both for the ISO and the help... =)

But a non-ISO related problem is that it takes ages for the bootstrap and "emerge system" to complete on my old server... =)

EDIT: Oh, btw, my machine is an IBM PC Server 325 with an Adaptec AIC-7880 SCSI controller (so I use doaic7xxx).

[ Déjà Vu: The Past is a Mirror of the Future ]

[ resident Mac fanboy & Linux geek ]

main(i){putchar(10528932>>(i-1)*5&31|!!(i<5)<<6)&&main(++i);}

"In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?"
Deep-VI
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked great - I rebult an old file server using 4 IDE drives along with an even older AHA-1390 card and SCSI CD-R. The doscsi option was hanging on the tmscsim module.

Using your latest image, "gentoo doaic7xxx" did the trick!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: