URGENT - Filesystem disaster!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: URGENT - Filesystem disaster! Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Happily running gentoo for several months now, but find I need more disk space. So I delete my old SuSE partition and want to resize my gentoo root partition. I know I should have used some kind of bootable linux and gnu parted, but I didn't, I used Windows and Paragon Partition Manager (Partition Magic 7 wouldn't touch the ext3 partition). It resized normally, no errors and all seemed fine. However, it wouldn't boot after that :(

Booting from a gentoo cd and then mounting the partition works, but it seems it's completely knackered the filesystem up. Looking at the file '/etc/fstab' for instance shows me some .ebuild file, some directories are now files, etc.

I'm not sure how ext3 is structured, but it seems it's messed up some kind of index so the files and directories are all pointing to the wrong files on disk. duh.

Anyone know of any tools that can help me recover this. To me it seems this is a completely lost cause. I've lost lots of things I really needed.

What I've learned:
- I really should back up more often (my last back up was several weeks ago)
- Do not use Paragon Partition Manager again

Of course this is really an opportunity for a nice new 1.4 install...

Jamie
jamieo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say, at the moment I haven't done anything to the partition, not wanting to make matters worse - if they can be!
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like it is hosed... :(

Messing around with partitions is always a good path towards disaster :) I don't know the partition editor you used, so I'm going to refrain from commenting on it. However, you should have consulted documentation for the best practice on how to resize partitions with different types of filesystems.

I know, I know, too late now! I'm sorry, but I think you will have to start over again since it seems like the partition is currently corrupt.

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you decide it is hosed, you can try an fsck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: