Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[EBUILD] BlackIsle RPGs (currently hibernating)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: [EBUILD] BlackIsle RPGs (currently hibernating) Reply with quote

This project is currently unmaintained. See news section.

0. Abstract

Play
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
  • Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (free downloadable add-on)
    Supported: de-version (you have to register for free before you can download) and us-version
  • Icewind Dale II

enhanced with various fan-made mods.

Get the latest tarball here.

1. News & Changes

24.6.2006: I just realized that it's almost a year that I last updated the ebuilds. How time goes by... unfortunately however, what with my thesis and whatnot, I won't have time to maintain this project for some time. Maybe in autumn I'll find the time and energy work in it, and maybe not. So - for the time being - I declare the project hibernating. If someone else steps up and wants to carry on, feel free to.

21.7.2005: WeiDU version bump.

8.7.2005: lynxnyl has improved his handy script for checking and downloading necessary stuff. Get it here.

13.06.2005: Added paragraph "10. Do-it-yourself mod installation"

11.06.2005: This update is quite a whopper and features support for the 5CD-version of BG1 (experimental, may even work ;) ), The Fields of the Dead (fotd) for BG1, support for IWD1:Trials of the Luremaster/US version, Auril's Bane mod for Trials of the Luremaster, Kindrek NPC for BG2+ToB, game ebuild cleanups, bugfixes and enhancements, many updates for mods and tools alike and the Return of the Turnip Golem! Muahahaha!

27.05.2005: Made available new game ebuilds for testing. Not for the faint of heart.

14.05.2005: Are you proud owner of IWD1 (+HoW) or IWD2, UK or US version? I need your help.

09.03.2005: Well, well, well, long time no see! But I haven't been idle; the installation routines have been rewritten completely and I added support for some more InfinityEngine games. 'Trials of the Luremaster' has only german support for now. Who can point me to english/french/italian/spanish downloads of the module (apart from that horrible FilePlanet site)?

22.12.2004: A few script fixes, changes in bg2mod.eclass. Please reinstall the mods 'd0quest' and 'longerroad' into your profile if you are using them. Some minor fixes in mod ebuilds. Added ebuilds for 'Desecration of Souls' (dos), 'One Pixel Productions' (1pp), 'Ruad the Blacksmith' (ruad) and the 'Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod' (g3anniversary).

21.12.2004: Fixed the ToB ebuild for english users, thanks to liber!'s help. Minor fixes for the baldurdash packages. Beautification of the SoA ebuild, you don't have to reemerge it. Added support for 'virtue' mod: Splits the reputation in 'reputation' (if you do bad things and get caught, reputation suffers) and 'virtue' (suffers in any case if you do bad things, makes rangers and paladins lose their status, changes alignment). You should install it as last mod into your profile.

19.12.2004, again: AAAAHRG! I just noticed that someone renamed the rename app I'm using at a crucial point in mod installation to xmrename to avoid a name collision with one of the core-utils. Please update your overlay. Btw, added support for 'Unfinished Business' mod (-> 'emerge ub'). Includes, among others, a quest called "The Kidnapping of Boo".

19.12.2004: Ok, a lot of work has been done on my BG2 ebuilds. They have been properly 'gentooized', and bring optional support for 'Throne of Bhaal' and more than a dozen mods.

2. Supported Games and Game Distributions

This section will inform you which particular distributions of the games are usable with my installers. I only can work with the file setup of the games I can get my hands on, so different localizations or packagings may break the installers.
Some weeks ago, I bought a box called 'Black Isle Compilation, Part Two' (german) and the ebuilds are constructed for the included versions of the games. Btw, BG2+ToB from this box are identical to the original german distribution, the english version of BG2+Tob should work also.

Anyway, distributions with this installation media might work all right too:

Baldur's Gate I: 5 CDs (experimental as of 11.06.05), 1 DVD
Tales of the Sword Coast: 1 CD
Baldur's Gate II: 4 CDs
Throne of Bhaal: 1 CD
Icewind Dale: 2 CDs
Heart of Winter: 1 CD
Icewind Dale II: 2 CDs

If your game distribution is not supported, you can help me to support it. Please do a standard Windows installation of your game and find out its exact version (displayed at the bottom of the options window). Now, run
Code:
emerge iescripts
/usr/games/bin/iescripts/fingerprint

The script will require you to mount your first game CD/DVD, ask you a few questions, prepare an archive and ask you to send it to linfinity at gmx dot net.

3. Installation prerequisites

Instead of performing all the steps in this paragraph manually, you can use this script by lynxnyl (btw thanks, lynxnyl!).

1. Download this tarball and drop its contents into your portage overlay.
  2. Add the lines
    Code:
    games-ie
    games-bg1
    games-bg2
    games-iwd1
    games-iwd2

to '/etc/portage/categories'
  3. BG2 users get the BG2:SoA patch:
    English users download this patch.
    Owners of the european version of BG2 download this patch.
    Sorry 'bout this, but the filenames include an apostrophe and let portage choke when it comes to downloading. Just drop the patch file into your distfiles directory.
  4. Add your user to the 'games' group.
  5. Free roughly 7GB disk space for emerging BG1 or BG2. For the Icewind Dale games, 3GB should suffice.
  6. Have your game disks handy.

4. Wine Setup

As of version 20050628, wine doesn't use the '~/.wine/config' file any more, all configuration parameters reside in the wine registry now. You can edit them (well, some of them) with the 'winecfg' GUI tool. For me, this latest wine version had some sound driver problems (artsdrv seems to be broken, alsadrv crashes the games), so I'm staying with the vintage version wine-20050111-r1 for now.

I'm using quite a minimalistic wine config (it goes into ~/.wine/config):
Code:
WINE REGISTRY Version 2
;; All keys relative to \\Machine\\Software\\Wine\\Wine\\Config

# [wineconf]

[Version]
; Windows version to imitate (win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win2k3,win20,win30,win31)
"Windows" = "win98"

[x11drv]
"Managed" = "N"

[WinMM]
;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
;"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
;"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
;"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"
# [/wineconf]

Perhaps I should note that I am by no means a wine guru, and this config file contains quite probably a suboptimal configuration for your system. Especially tweaking wine graphics and audio drivers can make your games perform better.

In ~/.wine/dosdevices you should link to your CD drive and to some directory containing your profile (e. g. your home directory).
As for the version of wine you should use, you have to tinker yourself around a bit. For example, I played through the whole of Icewind Dale II with wine-20050111 (to which I had to apply a small patch, see 'Random Notes'), while with the same version I cannot create a new game in Icewind Dale I.

5. Installation

Several ebuilds are available:
bg1 -> Baldur's Gate
bg1totsc -> Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
bg2 -> Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
bg2tob -> Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
iwd1 -> Icewind Dale
iwd1how -> Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
iwd1totlm -> Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (free downloadable add-on)
iwd2 -> Icewind Dale II

Environment variables:
LINGUAS: Determines the language used in the ebuild; specify exactly one; currently supported: en, de, fr, it, es
CDROM_ROOT: Path to your game CD mount point; default: "/mnt/cdrom"
CD_ROOT_<X>: Path to mounted installation CD <X>

The GAMES_PREFIX_OPT variable affects the 'iescripts' ebuild only, and the value you give will be 'frozen' at installation time and used in all dependant ebuilds. You can change the value in /etc/iescripts.conf, but beware: Installing games or mods to different locations will almost certainly break your game setup if you don't edit the config files in ~/.iegames accordingly. This command will install all components to '/data/infinity':
Code:
GAMES_PREFIX_OPT="/data/infinity" emerge iescripts

Your installation command might look like this:
Code:
FEATURES="-buildpkg" CDROM_ROOT="/media/dvd" LINGUAS="es" emerge iwd2

or like this
Code:
FEATURES="-buildpkg" CD_ROOT_1="/mnt/iwd2_cd1/" CD_ROOT_2="/mnt/iwd2_cd2" LINGUAS="en en_US" emerge iwd2

6. Starting the game

Your basic installation is done. Each of the four base games comes with its own management script (bg1, bg2, iwd1, iwd2). From now on, I will use the bg2 script as an example. Start BG2 by typing
Code:
bg2

or configure it with
Code:
bg2 config

The first mod you should install is the official patch, if the patch version is greater than your game version, that is. This used to be done with the game installation in earlier releases, but to gain a bit more flexibility, the patches got their own ebuilds. The patch for bg2 is 'officialpatch-bg2', the patch for bg2tob is 'officialpatch-bg2tob', ... , you get the picture. Also it won't hurt if you install the baldurdash fixes before you start your first game:
Code:
emerge officialpatch-bg2 games-bg2/baldurdash
bg2 install officialpatch-bg2 baldurdash

or, for ToB users:
Code:
emerge officialpatch-bg2tob baldurdash-tob
bg2 install officialpatch-bg2tob baldurdsh-tob

Be careful only to install the right patch into your profile: officialpatch-bg2 for Shadows of Amn, officialpatch-bg2tob for Throne of Bhaal and so on. You should also check if you need the official patch at all: Start a new game and go to the options dialog, there you'll find the game version displayed.

IMPORTANT: If the game complains about a missing CD, but you are sure the CD is mounted and the ~/.wine/dosdevices symlink is in place, just quit the game (but don't kill the process, just press ESC and click OK in the message box) and try again to start the game. It should work now. This is a bug and it will be fixed, eventually.

7. Mods

To use a mod, first emerge it, then install it into your profile. All bg2 mods are in games-bg2 and so on.
To get a list of all mods available on your system, type
Code:
bg2 mod-list

You can install any of them using
Code:
bg2 install mod1 mod2 mod3 ...

Some mods will ask you which language you prefer. You may choose any language you want, no matter which language you chose for installing the base game. Some mods are split into subcomponents, and the WeiDU installer will ask if you want to install them seperately.

8. Profiles

A profile is a kind of carbon copy of your BG2 installation (via symlinks). Different profiles have different savegames and can have different sets of mods installed. To list and create profiles, use
Code:
bg2 profile-list
bg2 create alt_profile

All commands target your default profile if not instructed otherwise, but to use a different one, type
Code:
bg2 alt_profile
bg2 config alt_profile
bg2 install mod1 mod2 ... into alt_profile

9. Mods revisited: Types of Mod, Order of installation, Compatibility, Effect of mods on savegames

Basically, there are two kinds of BG2 mods: 'flat' and 'weidu'.

Flat mods consist of a directory containing files to add or overwrite in an existing game installation. When a flat mod is installed into a profile, only a change of some symlinks takes place. Therefore, two flat modules should not be installed into one profile, if they are not explicitly known to be compatible.

Weidu mods are resource bundles for compilation with Westley Weimers IE Resource Compiler. They can be installed in any order, but should be installed after flat mods. In principle, they can be uninstalled also, but creating a new profile is easier. As for compatibility with one another, most WeiDU mods get along fairly well, but there are also conflicting mods.

Mixing flat and weidu works if you follow this rule of thumb: First install flat mods, then weidu mods.

For some mods - especially those tweaking the game rather than adding stuff - it is necessary to start a new game in order to take advantage of the tweaks. Others, adding or changing encounters or quests, can be used from an existing savegame. Refer to the mods' homepages for more info.

Be aware that virtually all of the mods bring a readme-file with some tips and common gotchas, a
Code:
find ~/.bg2/profiles/default -name *.txt

should find all of them (for modules installed into your 'default' profile, that is).

10. Do-it-yourself mod installation

Perhaps you want to install an InfinityEngine mod I don't support with an ebuild. This is quite easy, actually. Let's take, for example, the nifty mod Dungeon be gone!, which lets you skip Irenicus' Dungeon at the beginning of the game (but you still get all the goodies and XP). Unfortunately, it uses an NSIS installer, and I know of no working tool to extract files from it, so I won't support it. But with bit command line work, you can still use it. First, obtain the installer and execute it
Code:
wine dungeonbegone.exe

Select an empty directory (let's say '~/dbg', which will be called 'D:\dbg' or something like this from the installer's perspective) for installation and click 'Install'. Files will be extracted, the packaged WeiDU will be called but fail of course. Now, go to that directory and do this:
Code:
renamexm -Rl * #To avoid ambiguous file naming, all game related files are lowercase.
rm *.exe  #We have our own WeiDU installed
mv setup-dungeonbegone.tp2 setup-dbg.tp2 #I'll call the mod 'dbg' for the sake of shortness, and a file setup-$NAME.tp2 is expected
find . -iname '*.tiz' #Are there any compressed area files to unpack with tisunpack? No.
find . -iname '*.ogg' #But there are ogg files to convert to wav!
cd jassy/audio
rm oggdec.exe
oggdec *.ogg
rm *.ogg
cd ~/.iegames/bg2/mods
mkdir dbg
cd dbg
mkdir weidu overlay
cd weidu
cp -R ~/dbg/* .
bg2 mod-list # 'dbg' will show up in the list.

#The next part is optional and will save a little disk space (or a lot of disk space for bigger mods).
#<optional>
cd ~/.iegames/bg2/mods/dbg/overlay
mkdir override
cd override
find ../../weidu -iname '*.wav' -exec mv {} . \;
find ../../weidu -iname '*.tis' -exec mv {} . \; #Actually there are no .tis files, but if there were, they should be moved here...
#</optional>

bg2 create testprofile
bg2 install dbg into testprofile # That's it! 'dbg' should install correctly now.
bg2 testprofile

A few words on the optional part: The 'overlay' directory is, well, an overlay over the game files. A mod without a weidu component (like patches or baldurdash) is a 'flat mod' as described previously. Storing files in an overlay makes sure there's only one copy of each file around. All other instances are just symlinks.

Sometimes it can happen that a file in your mod you moved to overlay (*.tis, *.wav) or deleted (*.ogg, *.tiz) is explicitly wanted by the WeiDU script (the .tp2 file), and the installation into a game profile fails. The thing to do here is to leave dummy files around: Instead of
Code:
rm *.ogg

do this:
Code:
find . -iname '*.ogg' | while read FILE; do echo "WEIDU_DUMMY" > $FILE; done

11. Troubleshooting, Q&A

Q: When I try to install the 5CD-version of BG1, the ebuild fails because a file called 'i5comp21.rar' is not found. Why?
A: i5comp is a windows tool to exctract Installshield5 archives and includes a DLL of which I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to redistribute it, so I don't. But I'm sure a resourceful Gentoo user will be able to obtain the file in question on his own... *cough* google *cough*

Q: Why is the game so slow?
A: Could be your wine sound driver. Try to choose a different sound output driver in your wine config, or disable sound output altogether by commenting out all wine sound drivers. In wine-20041201, the alsa driver works quite well. Another reason for this could be 3D support (or the lack thereof). Have you emerge wine with USE="opengl"? Is your DRI setup correct? Have you considered to configure your game with 'bg2 config' (or 'iwd2 config', and so on...) so it won't use 3D effects?

Q: Why is the game crashing all the time?
A: Again, your wine sound driver is suspect number one. Anyway, you can check the wine log of the latest session at '~/.iegames/$GAME/profiles/default/bgmain.exe.wine.log'. The log of the session before is preserved with an suffix '.old'

Q: My X Server crashes.
A: Check the 3D config of your system, see above.

Q: The game tells me that the cd was removed frome the drive or claims that there as a cpp exception at line X.
A: Some file has not be found, and that indicates a corrupt profile. Either a mod is buggy, or two mods are incompatible, or a flat mod has overwritten some files.

Q: Why is the game complaining about a missing CD? It's mounted!
A: Just quit the game (but don't kill the process, just press ESC and click OK in the message box) and try again to start the game. It should work now.

12. Random Notes

• Some mods can influence your gaming experience quite heavily, e. g. the spell50 mod for bg2. It allows the power of a range of spells to 'scale' up to level 50 ('Magic Missile' stops to get more powerful at level 20 or so otherwise) and thus shifts game balance in favour of high-level spellcasters. Look at the mod's readme to be sure that you want what it does.

• Khalid is a cissy.

• If you plan to play Icewind Dale II, use the wine version in my overlay. It fixes all crashes with the wine error
    Code:
    err:ddraw:Main_DirectDrawSurface_Lock  Invalid values in LPRECT !!!

13. Acknowledgements & Links

My thanks and sincere respect for their hard work to bring us enhancements and mods for our favorite RPG game goes out to the Infinity Engine Modding Community, including (but not limited to), in no particular order:
  • Westley Weimer, who wrote the WeiDU compiler and as well wrote and compiled various cool mods including solaufein, valen, underrepresented items, ease of use, spell50, itemupgrade and ascension.

• The good people at Baldurdash, for doing what would have been the games' distributors' job.

• The IE communities at Pocketplane,
    Gibberlings3,
    The Chosen of Mystra,
    ForgottenWars and
    BlackWyrmLair, who all do a great job in hosting and maintaining a host of tutorials, mods, tools and resources.

• All Gentoo users who dig out their copy of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, give my ebuilds a spin and tell me how they like it (hint, hint! :wink: ).

Happy gaming!

Last edited by Voltago on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:31 pm; edited 63 times in total
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the effort. Just so you know there are eclasses to help out with game stuff, your ebuild doesn't really follow any of the game ebuild conventions..

Last edited by floam on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChojinDSL
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Baldur's Gate available on linux? or does this ebuild require wine/cedega?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floam wrote:
Thanks for the effort. Just so you knwo there are eclasses to help out with game stuff, your ebuild doesn't really follow any of the game ebuild conventions..

Yeah, I know. But there's not too much help in games.eclass for a (mock-up) InstallShield install. As for the games ebuild conventions, yes, I should put the starter scripts into /usr/games/bin, but apart from that I don't see any advantage in splitting up the files into /share, /lib and /whatnot folders, so the /opt location for the install seems quite acceptable to me (nwn installs the same way).
The whole iso image business is suboptimal and I'll try to find a more elegant solution.
Any more issues that I'm not aware of?

P. S.: ChojinDSL, BG2 runs on wine, but for a native solution you might want to look at the GemRB project.
bennettp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother with the isos? Just tell the user when to put the cd's into the drive, and maybe even check using `volname`. Just wondering though; does the normal BG install program work in wine? This is how I got deus ex & half-life (& blue-shift etc) running.
Registered Linux User #363420
Arek75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennettp wrote:
Why bother with the isos? Just tell the user when to put the cd's into the drive, and maybe even check using `volname`. Just wondering though; does the normal BG install program work in wine? This is how I got deus ex & half-life (& blue-shift etc) running.

Because, afaik, ebuilds aren't supposed to require user input. Unfortunately, they're not supposed to do anything outside of the 'sandbox' either. I've been considering redoing the NWN ebuild to allow for portage installs of SoU/HotU, and the only acceptable option I've been able to come up with so far is making an install-script that has to be run after emerging NWN (portage downloads NWN, nwn-install installs it, asking for cds as needed). As for BG2's installer, it should work in Cedega, but it won't work in wine, unless you download a couple of dlls used by installshield (can't remember which ones - look up 'cedega cvs' on google for details).

--Arek
(james@verge-rpg.com)
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New ebuilds for BG2:SoA and BG2:Tob are on the way. They don't require ISOs any more, but introduce user input into the install instead. Routines for CD based installs are already coded into eclasses, luckily.
I'll put them on my homepage shortly, stay tuned...

bennettp: The main reason I'm doing ebuilds is that I want to provide an easy way to install BG2 fan mods without fucking up your base install. The idea is this: You install BG2 into an write-protected location, and duplicate its folder structure in a writable location, then symlink every single BG2 file to it's corresponding location. This works pretty well for the unzip-and-drop-in kind of mod, but I have still to work out a way how to do this with WeiDU mods (kinda like patchsets against your current install; means you can install multiple mods without them interfering one with another).
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpy-de-bump... BG2 ebuilds, new and greatly improved, get them before someone else does!
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump again. Fixed a critical error in bg2mod eclass. Will I go blind if I bump my own thread too often?
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, one of my favorite games. It is a long time ago while I played it, but I'll test it... (got the time now)...

Greets,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have a problem with bg2tob:

It stays at the splash screen, the cpu running at 99% and the $HOME/.bg2/profiles/default/bgmain.exe.wine.log filled with:
Code:
epoll_ctl: Operation not permitted

for a million times....

Oh and the bgconfig.exe program works, but doesn't show anything usefull ( it shows the categories but not actual options...

Greets,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohw, and my sound doesn't work in bg2soa, could you give me your wine config file?

BTW. bg2soa runs so smooth, and steady, didn't expect this ...
Thanks,
Nathan
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi liber! Thanks for trying my ebuild.
OK, let's get this sorted. Which version of BG2 do you have? Dutch, English, German? Please post the resulting file of
Code:
find ~/.bg2/profiles/default -maxdepth 1 > output.txt

If you own a Dutch localisation of BG2 and ToB, I need your help to add Dutch support. Mount your ToB CD and do as follows:
Code:
mkdir tob
cd tob
unshield -L x /mnt/cdrom/DATA1.CAB #or possibly /mnt/cdrom/data1.cab
#Not sure in fact about the directory names in the next line,
#just look out for all folders hinting at localization
find ./hd0_dutch/ ./hd0_minimum_data_dutch/ -maxdepth 1 > output.txt

Again, please post the contents of output.txt. Thanks in advance.

Here is the sound section of my ~/.wine/config (also, check wine's USE flags to support your wine sound driver of choice)

Code:

[WinMM]
; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

EDIT: Er... the more I think about it... is there a Dutch localisation of BG2?
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Voltago,

I have the english version, I don't think there was a Dutch localised version made... I'm sorry!
Code:

/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/cd2
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/cd3
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/cd4
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/cd5
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgconfig.exe.wine.log
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/data
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/script compiler
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/save
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/temp
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/update.url
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/cache
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/music
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/scripts
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bg2-soapatchreadme.txt
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/tobicon.ico
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/tempsave
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgmain.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bggltest.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/keymap.ini
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/characters
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgconfig.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgconfig.exe.wine.log.old
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/dialog.tlk
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/power users.txt
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgdxtest.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/portraits
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgmain.exe.wine.log
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/chitin.key
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/readme.txt
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/override
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgmain.exe.wine.log.old
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/sounds
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/language.txt
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/charview.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/bgate2.mpi
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/license.txt
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/baldur.exe
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/baldur.ico
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/baldur.ini
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/baldur's gate 2 manual.pdf
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/vssver.scc
/home/nathan/.bg2/profiles/default/glsetup.exe

Thank you and greetings,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A screenshot of the bgconfig.exe program: http://nathan.servs.org/bgconfig-tob.jpg

Maybe if I could set the right options under the baldur.ini file that tob would work.

Could you send me also baldur.ini (from tob)?

Greets,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the sound works in SoA, thanks to you Voltago.

BTW: It's a very very nice ebuild! And also the system of 'profiles' is realy good, thank you...

Greets,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've reemerge'd bg2tob and it works now!!! I don't know what was wrong maybe something with the bg2 tob updates...

It works really good... Thank you!

For the updates in the ebuild itself, put a \ in front of the ' and portage will fetch them...

I have one more question... How can I play bg2 tob in MultiPlayer, not over network, just me creating 6chars instead of one...?

I've created symlinks to comX devices in the .wine/dosdevices folder but it doesn't work...

Greets,
Nathan
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm...... interesting. I generally have enough trouble getting BG2 to work on my XP box, cuz I use a LOT of mods!

Which does this ebuild support && are there any plans for compatibility with something like the Big Picture? What about one of the bg1->bg2 conversions like bg1tutu ?
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liber! wrote:
Ok, I've reemerge'd bg2tob and it works now!!! I don't know what was wrong maybe something with the bg2 tob updates...

It works really good... Thank you!

For the updates in the ebuild itself, put a \ in front of the ' and portage will fetch them...

I have one more question... How can I play bg2 tob in MultiPlayer, not over network, just me creating 6chars instead of one...?

I've created symlinks to comX devices in the .wine/dosdevices folder but it doesn't work...

Greets,
Nathan

Thanks, I'll try the backslash for downloading. I'm sorry that I cannot help you much with multiplayer mode, since I never used it. But if something occurs to me, I'll post it. But I will definitely have another look at the ToB ebuild.

Freeix, indeed I plan to support some of the bigger mods, maybe I get something done during the holidays. Right now, there are ebuilds for:
Underrepresented items, Baldurdash-tob, Baldurdash-soa, Solaufein, Herbs mod, Valen, Tactics, Item upgrade, D0Quest, Spell50, FR&ROV, Redemption, EaseOfUse, Longer road, Ascension and Unfinished Business.
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, everything works, except that the game crashes when you click on the stone masks to go further in the game, right at the beginning. It shows a animation and afhter this it stops working.
It stops when the eyes go burning.
This is in singleplayer ToB.
in the error log stands:
Code:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x77bd9014 "?" wait timed out in thread 0009, blocked by 000e, retrying (60 sec)

Ohw and the sound files weren't cp'd to the harddrive either (in SoA). But that could be because my cd's are a bit old and scratched...:S

In ToB the sound is of low quality, and in the .bg2/profiles/default/bgmai.exe.wine.log
Code:
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel level=DSSCL_EXCLUSIVE not fully supported
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=1010 < primar y_done=1012)

EDIT: Added log and sound
Greets,
Nathan
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liber! wrote:

Ohw and the sound files weren't cp'd to the harddrive either (in SoA). But that could be because my cd's are a bit old and scratched...:S

More likely because of different cd layout between german and english version. If you have a little time to spare, I would like you to take a 'fingerprint' of your CDs and installed files. Just execute this script and send the 'result.tar.bz2' file to me (I'll PM you my eMail address):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#BG2Fingerprint script: Collects data about files on the first BG2:SoA
#and the BG2:ToB cd, their installshield bundles and, if appropriate
#about already installed BG2 files
CDROM="/mnt/image"

mkdir -p bgfingerprint
cd bgfingerprint

echo "Please mount BG2:SoA CD1 and press ENTER"
read

mkdir -p bg2soadata
cd bg2soadata
unshield -L x $CDROM/data1.cab
find . > ../bg2soadata.txt
cd ..

find $CDROM > bg2soacd.txt

echo "Please mount BG2:SoA CD and press ENTER"
read

mkdir -p bg2tobdata
cd bg2tobdata
unshield -L x $CDROM/data1.cab
find . > ../bg2tobdata.txt
cd ..

find $CDROM > bg2tobcd.txt

if [ -e "/usr/share/games/bg2soa" ]; then
   find /usr/share/games/bg2soa > bg2soainstall.txt
fi
if [ -e "/usr/share/games/bg2tob" ]; then
   find /usr/share/games/bg2tob > bg2tobinstall.txt
fi
tar cjf results.tar.bz2 *.txt

echo "Thank you! Please send me the results.tar.bz2 file."

As for your sound troubles: Do other sound output methods than winealsa.drv get better results?
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll send you the fingerprints. Now, I'm recompiling wine with oss and a patch that claims to solve the err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection, I hope it will work.
(for more info about the patch: http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/01/0594.html )

Greets,
Nathan
lynxnyl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Great work man! :tup: :)
I'll try it sometime later though - I already have bg2 installed. :)

*bookmarked*

Last edited by lynxnyl on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liber! wrote:
Ok, I'll send you the fingerprints. Now, I'm recompiling wine with oss and a patch that claims to solve the err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection, I hope it will work.
(for more info about the patch: http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2002/01/0594.html )

No, this patch changed nothing, the game still crashes...

Greets,
Nathan
liber!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liber! wrote:
liber! wrote:

No, this patch changed nothing, the game still crashes...

Greets,
Nathan

Ok I found a 'fix'... Disable sound, then it worked for me...

Although it would be great if the sound worked, but I can live without it...

Greets,
Nathan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: