Hosting domain at home on U60
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Hosting domain at home on U60 Reply with quote

Apologies first for posting here, I keep getting duff information elsewhere, and I know that there has always been the help for me here on this forum..

I am switching broadband providers and have been setting up the U60 as a home server. I have my web sites running nicely on Apache and I was trying to get around what I have to do to get my domain and DNS settings to resolve to my broadband IP.

I understand that I need to use one of these free DNS services (I think) http://freedns.afraid.org/ and that I need to go to my existing hosting accounts and point my DNS settings to the free service.

If I am wrong at this point, please correct me! I contacted my supplier (1and1) and they said that I have to upgrade my account to a full hosting account to get access to my DNS settings. I cannot belive this! This is the complete opposite of what I am trying to do! I want to get away from my provider!

Can someone please advise me on what to do? Do I need to transfer my domain elsewhere just to get a friendly provider who will allow me to access the DNS settings?

Any help will be much appreciated...

Thanks.

Mark
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could transfer your domain to a registrar which provides free DNS hosting capabilities. I use pairnic.com and have been very happy with their service. I'm able to have access to all pertinent apsects of my DNS settings.

--kurt
marky9074
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my other domains with a different provider actually let me edit the DNS settings and all appears to have gone well. When I registered the domain with the free DNS I learnt that it created records for irc/ftp/mail as well as the norm.

I didnt realise that I would be shifting the 'whole' thing to my home server, maybe I am just naive!? I guess I am going to have to set up some pop3 server or something. Anybody suggest something real simple to get me going?

Mark
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to move everything to your home server. Depending on the services offered by your hosting provider, you may choose to leave email and/or other services on their server, while running www.yourdomain.com on your own server.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: