kernel compiling
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitenoise
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: kernel compiling Reply with quote

I need to recompile kernel to include some thing that I exclude during first time install.

I have to do:

make xconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

Is OK?

Thanks in advance.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my choice is make menuconfig instead of xconfig, but its oke. (well you can do a make clean after dep, but it ain't needed)
Remember to mount /boot before copying!!!!. And for recompiling you need to backup the .config file do a make mrproper and copy the config file back, this will take care of some strange errors and dependency problems.

Enjoy, lX :wink:

Last edited by lx on Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I would consider doing before, during and in addition too...

Copy your kernel .config file to ~/ Eg.

Code:
cp /usr/src/linux/.config ~/

Then clean your source tree:

Code:
make mrproper

Also, move your /lib/modules/2.* to prevent any unresolved dependencies. Ie. I'm using the xfs-sources, so I'd have to backup /lib/modules/2.4.18-xfs. Eg.

Code:
mv 2.4.18-xfs 2.4.18-xfs.old

Now copy your ~/.config back to your source directory.

Code:
cp ~/.config /usr/src/linux

Then proceed....

Quote:

make xconfig

Then...

Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

Before copying over your bzImage, make sure the /boot partition is mounted (it isn't in the default Gentoo fstab file).

Eg. my boot partition is on hda1 so...

Code:
mount /dev/hda1

If you do a
Code:
ls /boot -al
you should now see the existing bzImage, grub directory and /boot symlink.

Quote:

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

Correct! Remember to reinstall alsa-driver and nvidia-kernel if you're using them (along with any other kernel drivers you had to install separately).

HTH
whitenoise
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!!!

I'm going.....
whitenoise
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booted!!!! thank you!!!

Gio
strife
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Attn: leej Why do we have to reinst. nvidia-drivers again? Reply with quote

Is this a known issue or *not an issue* that you have to emerge nvidia drivers after every kernel re-compile? It is becoming quite the annoyance to keep doing this when you want to tinker with the kernel.
Xaanin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strife: It's well known that you have to do that. Not sure why but you just have to =)
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Attn: leej Why do we have to reinst. nvidia-drivers ag Reply with quote

strife wrote:
Is this a known issue or *not an issue* that you have to emerge nvidia drivers after every kernel re-compile? It is becoming quite the annoyance to keep doing this when you want to tinker with the kernel.

It's not an issue at all. When you rebuild the kernel you're indulging in a pretty low level task. If you change any modules, any modules installed separately may no longer be correctly linked. If you've installed a brand new kernel, they definitely wont be correctly linked anymore because they weren't built against the new kernel. Therefore any kernel-level module (eg. alsa-driver, nvidia-kernel, etc.) has to therefore be remerged after you've built your kernel.

Doesn't matter whether you're using Suse, Red Hat, Gentoo or Slackware. If you rebuild the kernel, you have to reinstall any additional kernel-modules afterwards. :-)

In the case of Suse & Red Hat though, Yast or Up2date will generally look after the user and do all of this for them. In Gentoo of course, we opted to build our machines from the base up and this is the kind of basic package maintenance I think we have to expect to do.

Of course, it would be nice if Portage made a list of kernel-level drivers and told us to reinstall them...although of course that would be difficult considering Portage doesn't actually rebuild your kernel. It just provides the sources.

Perhaps a kernel-module-update script is in order to remind users what kernel-level modules installed will need reemerging afterwards? :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: