mailcap and Firefox mime-type associations
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanommers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: mailcap and Firefox mime-type associations Reply with quote

Firefox's support for mime-types on Gentoo has really been bugging me lately. In particular, when I click a PDF, the dialog box that pops up doesn't suggest a program to run with. So I have to either specify a program myself or download the file first. Of course I could check the box to remember my choice, but sometimes I find the feedback of the window helpful.

Anyway, I finally figured out that the default program is decided by the mailcap entries. I've fixed my problem editing my ~/.mailcap, but I was wondering if Gentoo should provide some sane system-wide mailcap entries. Some ebuilds like that for bittorrent add an entry to the mailcap, although it does seem kind of kludgy.

Edit: Found a pretty old bug, but mailbase isn't really as comprehensive as I think it should be. Does Gentoo have a way of letting apps add to /etc/mailcap, and should it?
agnitio
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this deserves a bump. The bug linked to claims that net-mail/mailbase handles it, but I can't see that any application adds info to /etc/mailcap and it's still requiered to manage it manually. The discussion in the bug seems to imply that a better alternative than debian is preferred, but since we currently have NO working system, can't we use debians until a better one is developed?
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It seems for now we're stuck with having to setup our own mailcap file. I found something helpful, though, namely that Pardus Linux supplies a decent mailcap file with its baselayout. I changed some things around in the end (e.g. ghostview -> kghostview, kaffeine -> vlc) but it's definitely a nice start: Link.

Regards
mic
mwoodiupui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: STANDARD Unix filetype association mech. still languishing Reply with quote

Hmmm. /etc/mime.types was updated about a year ago, and contains some OpenOffice types, but /etc/mailcap is six months older and still lacks them.

Anybody know of a program to suck information out of the better-maintained shared-mime-info package and add it to the files which will be consulted by every program which is not GNOME?
apeitheo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a very old thread, but I've come up with a somewhat-hackish solution to this issue, that, to my knowledge, is still present in Gentoo. I've only tested it on Slackware with Xfce, but it should work elsewhere. The program I wrote pulls the default applications from Gnome/Xfce and formats them into a proper mailcap file for use with Firefox, Seamonkey, etc. For now, it needs to be run each time you update the default applications in a mime file editor (such as Xfce's "MIME Type Editor"), but hopefully in the future I can come up with a better solution.

http://sencha.denetron.net/mime-0.1.tar.gz

Just extract, and then make && ./mime ~/.mailcap (or make && su -c ./mime /etc/mailcap). Please note that it'll overwrite any file you specify (for example, if you already have a custom mailcap).

I'd love feedback as I'm fairly new at programming, but am hoping this will be of some use to someone else. Constructive criticism regarding my code is highly appreciated!

Enjoy! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: