Gentoo on the XBox?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on the XBox? Reply with quote

I've been dinking around with my modded XBox, trying to install linux in it, right? Well, I've been using Ed's livecd from xbox-linux.sourceforge.net, and the XBoxLinuxInstall script runs okay, but from there, I have no idea where to go to get ANY sort of working linux system, let alone gentoo. Has anyone tried this, and has advice to offer?

On another question, has anyone else had problems with linux on the xbox extending itself too far horizontally and vertically on the tv screen? (in other words, the margins are cut off)

(edit)Yes, I've read other posts on the topic, but none were really quite detailed enough for me, since this doesn't exactly get started in a very standard way ;) (/edit)

-Normie
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you can run the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh and installing/using whatever boot-loader/method the live-cd uses you should be fine.
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mebbe I should clarify... I meant WITHOUT pasting everything else on the drive. ;)

But at any rate, I think I figured out what I need to do--I just need to figure out how the hell Debian (which is what the installer is based off of) does networking, and how the hell to install a working kernel. (Feel free to send along any advice on these ;))
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normie wrote:
Mebbe I should clarify... I meant WITHOUT pasting everything else on the drive. ;)

But at any rate, I think I figured out what I need to do--I just need to figure out how the hell Debian (which is what the installer is based off of) does networking, and how the hell to install a working kernel. (Feel free to send along any advice on these ;))

Ohh, you actually want to play games on that sin. :twisted:
Normie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey hey, MGS2: Substance and Halo are great games, Microsoft-system-made or not. :P

Actually, you got it right on the money: I want to do this without erasing my stuff (like xsnes9x, x-nes, and my music).

Right now, it's set up to work with the unpartitioned space (it's one of the 10G hard drives), but the boot cd refuses to boot when installed that way (the kernel panics when it can't find the partition in question :P). It works fine if I try to install as two files on E:, though. (The installer provides two options, one to install in the two gigs of unpartitioned space, and another to create two files--rootfs and swapfs-- in the free space on E:, kinda like that one linux distro that installs within Windows, what's it called?)

But at any rate, I suppose I could get it going right if I could figure out the goddamned networking scheme that Debian uses, and get it to DHCP-ize already :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: