Questions about the Alpha installation guide
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minuteman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Questions about the Alpha installation guide Reply with quote

Hi, I started to use gentoo on my Alpha (EV56 on a 164LX mobo) this afternoon and I followed the 2004.3 installation guide but I have some little questions/remarks at this time (I'm not finished with the install yet):

- It would be interesting to know if it's possible to change the keyboard layout when booting from the LiveCD, because it's very problematic to find keys like | or ^ when you don't have an US keyboard ;)
- In the "3.d. Manual Network Configuration" section it's written to go to "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net" to see what network drivers are available, but the "net" directory doesn't seem to exist on the LiveCD.
- In the "4.c. Using fdisk on Alpha to Partition your Disk" section it's written "start with deleting all slices except the 'c'-slice." What is the reason for this?

So, I hope that these remarks wil lhelp to improve the guide quality (which is already great).

PS: I wish to thank the people who still support actively the alpha architecture , i don't know what "we" would do without you.
no9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the Alpha installation guide Reply with quote

Minuteman wrote:
- In the "4.c. Using fdisk on Alpha to Partition your Disk" section it's written "start with deleting all slices except the 'c'-slice." What is the reason for this?

'c'-slice is whole disk, whereas other slices are like 'partitions'. In *bsd's you would also notice, that 'a' slice is usually used for root filesystem and 'b' for swap. Don't know if it is some kind of tradition or unwritten rule. I hope it helps :wink:
Minuteman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ;)

So, here are the following "problems" I had with the manual:

In section "7.c. Default: Manual Configuration" it's written
# cp arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz /boot/

The vmlinux is directly under /usr/src/linux in fact, not in the arch/alpha/boot structure.
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use loadkeys dk or similar to change the keyboard layout. All the network drivers are built-in which is why there's no network modules. If dmesg doesn't show the card being detected, I'd like to know which driver is missing so I can add it when I build the next livecd.

Regarding the changes to the handbook.. Could somebody please file a bug on https://bugs.gentoo.org? I'm way too busy to remember otherwise and I don't think anyone of the Alpha porters frequent the forums - I only stop by roughly once a month myself.

Regards,
Bryan
Minuteman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a bugreport in the handbook section 2 days ago.
My network card is correctly detected, it'a a standard Realtek 8169 gigabit based card so there is no problem there.
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minuteman wrote:
I made a bugreport in the handbook section 2 days ago.
My network card is correctly detected, it'a a standard Realtek 8169 gigabit based card so there is no problem there.

Cool, guess I just missed that bug in my keywording frenzy this saturday :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: