View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Help i emerged gnome by mistake Reply with quote

well i was trying to emerge gnome and i thought i was chrooted into the other drive however it turns out i had emerged gnome onto my current drive
i'd like to remove it somehow
Does anyone know what packages i have to remove ?
SoulSe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you emerged it, just un-emerge it with emerge -C from the same environment where you orignally installed it...
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulSe wrote:
If you emerged it, just un-emerge it with emerge -C from the same environment where you orignally installed it...

yes but what are the packages involved all i did was emerge gnome xscreensaver and i had a tonne of applications emerge
UB|K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a :
Code:
cat /var/lib/portage/world | grep gnome

or:
Code:
cat /var/cache/edb/world | grep gnome

depends on the version of portage you're running (world file's place as recently change). This should give a part of the unwanted packages.
For the other packages (-> not containing the word "gnome"), run a :
Code:
emerge -pv gnome

and see the packages already installed... maybe you can find out the ones you don't need (and then manually emerge -C these packages).
SoulSe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do emerge -p to find out what packages it would (and therefore did) install.
cbradney
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or probably better, work out when you started the emerge, and have a look in
Code:
genlop -l
at all the packages listed since then. If you dont have genlop, emerge it.
msimplay
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everyone that worked well :D
Azalit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of that worked for me :cry: and :cry: again.
theDreamer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

I took the entire package list of gnome from portage/profiles/package.mask (contains a mask to 2.10-something):
Code:

www-client/epiphany-extensions www-client/epiphany gnome-base/gnome gnome-base/gnome-light gnome-base/gnome-volume-manager gnome-base/gnome-vfs gnome-base/control-center gnome-base/eel gnome-base/nautilus gnome-extra/gnome-media media-gfx/eog app-arch/file-roller gnome-extra/gcalctool app-editors/gedit gnome-base/gnome-desktop gnome-base/gnome-applets gnome-base/gnome-panel gnome-base/gnome-menus x11-themes/gtk-engines x11-themes/gnome-themes gnome-base/libgnomeprint gnome-base/libgnomeprintui gnome-extra/gnome-utils gnome-extra/gnome-games gnome-base/libgtop gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor x11-wm/metacity x11-libs/vte gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner x11-themes/gnome-backgrounds gnome-base/gnome-menus gnome-base/libglade dev-libs/atk x11-libs/libwnck gnome-base/gnome-session gnome-extra/gconf-editor gnome-base/gconf x11-libs/gtksourceview gnome-base/libgnomecanvas media-video/totem x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme gnome-extra/zenity x11-libs/libxklavier app-admin/system-tools-backends x11-terms/gnome-terminal gnome-base/orbit net-print/libgnomecups net-print/gnome-cups-manager gnome-base/libgnomeui gnome-base/gnome-keyring media-sound/sound-juicer x11-libs/gtk+ gnome-extra/bug-buddy app-text/gnome-doc-utils app-admin/gnome-system-tools x11-terms/gnome-terminal gnome-base/orbit net-print/libgnomecups net-print/gnome-cups-manager gnome-base/libgnomeui gnome-base/gnome-keyring media-sound/sound-juicer x11-libs/gtk+ gnome-extra/bug-buddy app-text/gnome-doc-utils app-admin/gnome-system-tools net-misc/vino gnome-base/gdm net-analyzer/gnome-netstatus gnome-base/librsvg gnome-base/libgnome x11-themes/gnome-themes app-admin/gnome-system-tools

from that i checked the stuff other applications depeneds on.
I did it comparing to another machine i have without gnome, but if you dont have this luxury you we'll need to guess and in the worst case to reemerge some packges because you removed something important.

hope i helped.
Keffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the easiest way to remove something like Gnome is to do "emerge -C gnome" then "emerge depclean". depclean runs through all your installed (by portage) packages and deletes them if they are not in the world file and are not depended on by anything else in the world file.

As emerging gnome only puts a gnome line in the world file (no lines added for the deps), unmerging it removes that line and leaves all the dependencies it pulled in free for the depcleaning.

You may note from the warning that comes when you run emerge depclean that you might want to do a pretend run "emerge -pv depclean" first and check that nothing really bizarre is listed. I've personally never had a problem (and I've used this to remove gnome myself) with it and almost anything can easily be remerged if things break anyway, but it's worth mentioning to be afraid if it says it will remove python/gcc :O.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: