ALSA doesn't mix
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbsynegry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: ALSA doesn't mix Reply with quote

I have been using gentoo for a while now and I don't think I have ever had this problem before. I just got this new computer and ALSA doesn't mix sound between different apps. For example, I am playing sound though xmms, then I start xine to play a movie and it hangs untill I stop xmms. Same goes for any other combination of audio apps.

I have also played with aplay as root with no sucess.

The module I am using is snd-via82xx and my Via Southbrige is a Via8235. I am using the onboard sound and I don't have any other sound cards.

Code:

# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-driver/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v 1.1 2002/12/21 06:31:52 agenkin Exp $

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be the most common question in multimedia.

Only with very few sound cards will ALSA mix sound for you. You'll have to go through a software sound server, such as Arts or ESD. They work just fine.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly alsa will only use hardware sound mixing, and it sounds like there are some sound cards with hardware mixing that alsa doesn't support.

Like the other poster said, you'll have to use Arts or ESD, but IMHO they just don't cut it. If you are running kde then maybe arts will work out, but I'm using E16 and haven't been able to get ANY kind of software sound mixing working.

Hehe... I'm this close to installing my other sound card and splitting apps between the two so I can get multiple sounds at once ;) It would be way more effective than anything else I've tried...

My GPG/PGP Public key
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakonite: what programs do you want? I'd think that ALSA + Arts + XMMS (with the Arts plugin) would work. But of course they have to communicate correctly. I don't know how to set up Arts outside of KDE, but maybe that's your problem. Your ALSA is working, right? XMMS with ALSA plug-in?
dbsynegry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. This should then become a feature request so support hardware mixing with ALC650 chipsets. I guess I'll send it in.

Agian, thanks for your time.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herodot wrote:
Drakonite: what programs do you want? I'd think that ALSA + Arts + XMMS (with the Arts plugin) would work. But of course they have to communicate correctly. I don't know how to set up Arts outside of KDE, but maybe that's your problem. Your ALSA is working, right? XMMS with ALSA plug-in?

Programs? Well... XMMS, Pysol, Yahoo! Messenger, VMWare (optional.. but prefereable), Webbrowser (frequent multimedia pages), MPlayer, and a large gaggle of games, and I'm pretty sure I missed some things...
I don't have alsa installed right now (too much of a pain for no gain) and I don't have hardware sound mixing support either, so alsa doesn't do much good. I've gone through alsa arts esd all with no luck.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have OSS then? Arts works with that also, I think. You're right that ALSA can be a pain to get working, but you'll get there I'm sure. I think most programs support output to both ALSA and OSS. So getting a basic system (be that ALSA or OSS) working is the first step.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OSS working fine. Unless alsa gets software sound mixing I'm not even going to touch it again.
It's not a problem of getting arts to work with OSS or alsa... That is just fine. The problem is making every program use arts, or esd, or whatever else. All it takes is the one program that refuses to use it, and it blocks all the others from using it. And I can't get any to work with it correctly.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, I see your point. XMMS and Mplayer and possibly more can use Arts, no problem. If not, there's artsdsp, which is a wrapper:
Code:
artsdsp <program>

But I gather that you're tried all that. So I probably can't help you.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hadn't known about artsdsp until earlier this week.. I gave it a couple tried but didn't have much luck. I was aggitated enough with this today that I was messing around with it again, I replaced my kernel because of somethign else today, and it started to almost work.. I dont' knwo what to think about this now.... I didn't change anything even close to audio support... I just removed win4lin support..
After some very idiot configuration work it somewhat works now... It still is very far from ideal though.. Performance is so-so, arts currently has to be started manually to work (don't know if it's a oddity of my computer or if that's normal...) and using artsdsp to run every single program that might make sounds is a hassle..
I tried running X with the line "artsdsp startx" and it works... not near as good as I wish it would but it is working some. I use enough things from command lines on virtual terminals it still doesn't solve all the problems.. Changning my default shell to "artsdsp /bin/bash" instead of "/bin/bash" might work but I do NOT want to do that...

I guess I should quit complains as I finally have something working... It doesn't work as well as it should, and it's just a sloppy hack... But I guess thats as good as it gets.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: