A call for help for focusing Qt designer / KDE widgets crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saruman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: A call for help for focusing Qt designer / KDE widgets crash Reply with quote

Hi, all. I and other users are getting several systematic seg-faults while using the Qt Designer along with KDE widgets plugin. In particular we have found that:
- qt-3.1.0-r2 Qt Designer crash on startup (sometimes opens up the first time and segfaults all the others).
- qt-3.1.1 Qt Designer segfaults run correctly but segfaults _only_ when putting a KFontCombo widget on a form (all the other KDE widgets works correctly).

(You can find more details at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12964)

Until now we are oriented to believe is glibc issue (or should be called "bug"?). I'd like to know if any other gentoo user is getting this behaviour.

To test it:

1) launch designer from terminal:
Code:
#designer

2) if you have qt-3.1.0-r2 it should segfaults OR if it works then create a new dialog and put on it any KDE specific widget: it should crash. If the first time it worked, please re-run the program a few other times and see if it crashes.

3) if you have qt-3.1.1 it should open up: create a new dialog and put some KDE widgets (but not the KFontCombo) on the form. It should work nicely. Finally put a KFontCombo and it should segfault at once.

I'm using glibc-2.3.1-r2 and KDE 3.1_rc6 (but it seems to not depending on particular KDE release) and I'd like to collect some other data from this behaviour before going hacking something. If you test it please report:
- gcc version
- glibc version
- qt version
- kde version
- a brief report about the problem you encountered (different or similar to that I've written).

Thank you for your time.
mkb137
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can the Qt ebuild be stopped, the source edited, and restarted to try the fix mentioned in that bug? Namely to comment out certain lines in $QT_SRC_DIR/src/toolsqlibrary_unix.cpp?

At any rate, with gcc version 3.2.1 20021207, glibc version 2.3.1 (from 2.3.1-rc3), qt version 3.1.0 (from 3.1.0-r1) and kde version 3.1rc6, where designer crashes is almost random. If qt_plugins_3.1rc is deleted, designer will crash the first time it is run. The second time, it will start up but crash when a KDE widget is placed on the form. The third time, it may or may not crash if certain KDE widgets are placed on the form (KLed, KProgress), but will with others (KTextBrowser). Additional times, it wil crash with almost any KDE widget placed on the form (though KProgress still works, oddly enough).
metal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mkb137.

If you want to edit the qt source of the ebuild, try something like this :

ebuild /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-3.1.0.r1.ebuild unpack

Edit code in /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.1.0-r1/work

launch 'make'

ebuild /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-3.1.0.r1.ebuild install

ebuild /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-3.1.0.r1.ebuild qmerge

Hope this helps ...
mkb137
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... but since that would have made me have to configure manually rather than using the ebuild, what I ended up doing was just to quickly edit the file (which turned out to be "tools/qlibrary_unix.cpp" - an extra "/") after I started the emerge.

I can confirm that the fix works with qt 3.1.0.
metal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other way of do it is launch emerge, suspend it by pressing CTRL-Z, edit the code, and resume the command with "fg 1"

Anyway, I can't get designer working, neither with qt-3.1.0 nor with 3.1.1.

Maybe kde 3.1 final will resolve this issue.
Saruman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for testing it (I believed that this post went unnoticed ;). It seems that the workaround has been found but we cannot predict if it will give troubles on the long run (look at the bugzilla link).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: