O2 boot fails if framebuffer memory > 4MB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: O2 boot fails if framebuffer memory > 4MB Reply with quote

Thanks to the good help in the LiveCD thread and #gentoo-mips, my O2 (R5K, 200MHz, 256MB) is now booting a self-compiled kernel happily from the harddisk. Using mips-sources-2.6.9-r3 and arcboot-0.3.8.4-r1.

However, if I set the framebuffer memory to 6 or 8 MB then the boot fails
after arcboot has loaded up vmlinux. The last thing that gets printed out is "zeroing memory". The O2's led blinks red and its game over. With 4MB it works fine.

Ideas? Known bug?

Also, what framebuffer settings work well with X11? I'm having trouble getting a sane colour map in X.

-Andy
emilthesaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

but I have compiled a kernel with 4 MB FB and still get the flashing red light after zeroing memory and booting kernel.

could you post your .config file?

--Emil
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Take a look at http://www.puszczka.com/~andy/mink.html.

The page is pretty scrappy, but it has my current config and dmesg output.

-Andy
Elvin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: O2 boot fails if framebuffer memory > 4MB Reply with quote

squawker wrote:

Also, what framebuffer settings work well with X11? I'm having trouble getting a sane colour map in X.

-Andy

With 4MB FrameBuffer configured, setting "DefaultColorDepth" to 15 in xorg.conf (xorg version 6.8.0_r1) works.
Do not know why. Other configurations just messed up.

Thanks Andy aka squawker for your kernel config file. I slightly modified it with menuconfig, then my cute O2 is now booting with a natively compiled 64bit kernel.

:?: Now I am wandering where can I get a working sound patch for O2? :?:
emilthesaint
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 boot fails if framebuffer memory > 4MB Reply with quote

Elvin wrote:

With 4MB FrameBuffer configured, setting "DefaultColorDepth" to 15 in xorg.conf (xorg version 6.8.0_r1) works.
Do not know why. Other configurations just messed up.

<snip>

:?: Now I am wandering where can I get a working sound patch for O2? :?:

That seems to fix my problems to. Thanks to the quys at #gentoo-mips and Andys .config file I also got the O2 to boot nicely with a 64 bit kernel. The current sound patch seems to work only with 32-bit kernels so lets see if somebody makes a new one. And there is also the HIGHMEM issue to be fixed. It would be nice to be able to use the 1GB of RAM in my O2.

//emil
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: